Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ODD~Oppositional Defiance Disorder **Update with Sources/Help**

Posted by   + Show Post

The debate, discussion.....

What do YOU think of this disorder?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder

"Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a diagnosis described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of anger guided disobedience, hostilely defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People may appear very stubborn and often angry. A diagnosis of ODD cannot be given if the child presents with conduct disorder (CD)[1]

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Behavioral features

Common features of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) include excessive, often persistent anger, frequent temper tantrums or angry outbursts, as well as disregard for authority. Children and adolescents with ODD often purposely annoy others, blame others for their own mistakes, and are easily disturbed. Parents often observe more rigid and irritable behaviors than in siblings.[2] In addition, these young people may appear resentful of others and when someone does something they don't like they prefer taking revenge more than sensitive solutions.[3]

For a child or adolescent to qualify for a diagnosis of ODD these behaviors must cause considerable distress for the family and/or interfere significantly with academic or social functioning. Interference might take the form of preventing the child or adolescent from learning at school or making friends, or placing him or her in harmful situations. These behaviors must also persist for at least six months. Effects of ODD can be greatly amplified by other disorders in comorbidity such as ADHD.[4]

[edit] Signs and Symptoms

Some signs and symptoms that must be perpetuated for longer than 6 months and must be considered beyond normal child behavior to fit the diagnosis are:[5][6]

The child must exhibit 4 out of the 8 signs and symptoms listed below in order to meet the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic threshold for ODD[7]

• Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus supported rules[8]
  • Performs deliberate actions to annoy others[8]
  • Angry and resentful of others[6]
  • Argues often[6]
  • Blames others for his or her own mistakes
  • Has few or no friends or has lost friends
  • Is causing constant trouble at school
  • Touchy or easily annoyed

Generally, these patterns of behavior will lead to problems at school and other social venues.[6]

[edit] Causes

Children of alcoholic parents, or whose fathers have "been in trouble with the law" run a 18% chance of developing ODD, beginning very early in age.[4] This could suggest that the development of ODD concerning symptoms of dis-cooperativeness may be influenced by the behavior of the parents.

Update:

I would like to add some helpful resources, books, for those who are navigating this terrain.

Your Defiant Child,  Barkley

The Defiant  Child, Dr. Riley

Taking Charge of Adhd, Barkley
The Explosive Child, Greene

Parenting Children w/ Adhd, MonastraSuper Parenting for ADD: The Survival Guide to Kids with ADD or ADHD, John Taylor PhD

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
rfurlongg
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM

That is true, but at least we are moving the right direction.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Its hard though.  Treatment is often long term, up to a year or two, many kids end up in residential treatment. 

Quoting rfurlongg:

Quoting Radarma:

Are these kids simply the "brats" of yesteryear?

No. These are the kids that ended up institutionalized or in prison in yesteryears. Thank goodness for research and therapeutic advancements some of these children have a chance at a normal productive life.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Quoting rfurlongg:

Completely agree.
My friends son has ODD. It's so hard on her not being able to go anywhere for fear he will act out. He's been kicked off of baseball teams for throwing bats and is constantly in trouble. It took years before he was diagnosed.
Chelsey191
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM
omg that is totally me as a child. Thank god i out grew it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on May. 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Have you been diagnosed with ODD? ;)

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting trippyhippy:

I don't think you realize to what level the behaviors have to be to get this diagnosis. It's not just being bratty and it is usually part of another diagnosis like autism or other neurological disorders. My son who has severe autism and severe adhd has borderline ODD. And has been in daily behavioral therapy for years due to it. Like I said his is just borderline and it's a nightmare, I can't imagine the extreme cases.

Actually, I do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LTryon
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg! This sounds EXACTLY like my 7 year old DS. Every single one of the behavioral issues listed we have been battling with for the past year and a half (at least)... How do you go about having someone tested for something like this? And what are the possible treatments?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on May. 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I think one of my coworkers is afflicted with ODD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KC33
by Kim on May. 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Is there a drug for this disorder?

_Kissy_
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM
4 moms liked this
I remember it being called the terrible twos, rebelling and deranged teenage syndrome..hmmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Quoting KC33:

Is there a drug for this disorder?

There are mood stabilizers that can help.
Refurbished
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM
12 moms liked this

It used to be a very accurate description of my youngest, until I divorced his father.  Suddenly, with all the conflict gone, he turned into a very sweet kid.  I tend to wonder if this is an actual disorder or if kids with these symptoms are reacting to stress. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured