Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NC- Voters ban gay marriage

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM
  • 292 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/north-carolina-voters-banned-gay-marriage-civil-unions-011158194.html

North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, according to the AP's projection. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent with most counties reporting, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state. Former President Bill Clinton urged the state's voters not to support the amendment in robocalls, while President Barack Obama's office said he was also against the change.

Supporters of gay marriage out-raised and out-advertised their opponents in the lead up to the vote, emphasizing in TV ads that the amendment could also have repercussions for unmarried straight couples because of its vague language. The anti-amendment coalition raised more than $2 million, according to campaign finance disclosures, most of which came from small and large individual donations. The pro-amendment crowd, called Vote for Marriage NC, raised a little more than $1 million, with most of the money being donated by nonprofit groups, not individuals.

Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions.....

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

SMH

Friday
by HRH of MJ on May. 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM
19 moms liked this

Civil rights should never be up for popular vote, ever. This is seriously wrong.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Idiots.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm so glad I don't live in the south. I couldn't stand all the close minded people.

ihave1
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

HEY WE ARE NOT!!  jk THIS JUST BREAKS MY HEART.

Quoting Euphoric:

Idiots.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this

This is sad and unfortunate. I don't think it should be up to a vote no more than desegregation or the ability to marry interracially. 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! to North Carolina

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM
This is sad.
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

They would probably vote against mixed race marriage too if you put it on the ballot.  That's why these things should not be up for a vote.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It will get thrown out by the courts soon enough.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

I'm so glad I don't live in the south. I couldn't stand all the close minded people.

gods.. and I am moving back there.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)