Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/north-carolina-voters-banned-gay-marriage-civil-unions-011158194.html

North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, according to the AP's projection. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent with most counties reporting, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state. Former President Bill Clinton urged the state's voters not to support the amendment in robocalls, while President Barack Obama's office said he was also against the change.

Supporters of gay marriage out-raised and out-advertised their opponents in the lead up to the vote, emphasizing in TV ads that the amendment could also have repercussions for unmarried straight couples because of its vague language. The anti-amendment coalition raised more than $2 million, according to campaign finance disclosures, most of which came from small and large individual donations. The pro-amendment crowd, called Vote for Marriage NC, raised a little more than $1 million, with most of the money being donated by nonprofit groups, not individuals.

Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions.....

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Replies (261-270):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

What nearly all of you are missing is the last sentence in this article.  Only 46 percent of the voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage.  Perhaps the oponents of this bill should have pointed that out in all of their adds against this bill.  They should have pointed out all of the negatives, and there might have been a different outcome.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Euphoric:

I'm so glad I don't live in the south. I couldn't stand all the close minded people.

gods.. and I am moving back there.. 

Stop knocking the South.  Most of the  states have had a bill for gay marriage on their ballots, and the citizens in more than 30 of them have rejected it.  And in case you think I'm some backwoods hick in the deep south sticking up for NC, no I am not.  I happen to live in a very liberal state, Illinois.

ok... and? This is only one reason I don't like the south. There are many other reasons...

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on May. 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM
I am so disappointed in my state...but I'm not surprised. Churches everywhere in my area have been running smear campaigns and fear mongering for weeks.

It's not all Southern people who are to blame for this; it's narrow-minded religious bigots who believe the dominance of their faith is more important than the rights of individuals in a secular society.

After the vote came in last night, I literally became ill. I hate feeling ashamed of a place that I love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsyRayne
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I live in NC. I think what people don't understand is that in all of the campaining about this amendment, all they talked about was banning gay marriage. The only reason I knew about the domestic violence part or the part about taking away rights of children of single parents is because a woman on my fb, who is gay posted about it. I then looked into it.

I don't care who marries who, so don't think I'm some backwoods hick, lol. But in truth, I think people really didn't know.

When I tried to bring this up to people, that the amendment was for different things as well, if they were against gay marriage, they would say to me, it's not true, we can't vote for gays to marry. I asked all of  them how that affected their lives in any way?

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Same here. 

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I am so disappointed in my state...but I'm not surprised. Churches everywhere in my area have been running smear campaigns and fear mongering for weeks.

It's not all Southern people who are to blame for this; it's narrow-minded religious bigots who believe the dominance of their faith is more important than the rights of individuals in a secular society.

After the vote came in last night, I literally became ill. I hate feeling ashamed of a place that I love.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on May. 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Many of my students have come in in the past weeks asking about the bill, and they had been fed the same BS; their pastors told them voting "no" on the amendment would allow gay marriage, and that the bill only pertained to gay citizens. One boy came in today and asked "what does it mean that it passed?" He was horrified when I explained all the rights gay and straight couples would lose. His exact words were, "When I said I would have voted for the amendment, I didn't want all of this."

Never underestimate the ability of religion to spread fear and hatred.

Quoting GypsyRayne:

I live in NC. I think what people don't understand is that in all of the campaining about this amendment, all they talked about was banning gay marriage. The only reason I knew about the domestic violence part or the part about taking away rights of children of single parents is because a woman on my fb, who is gay posted about it. I then looked into it.

I don't care who marries who, so don't think I'm some backwoods hick, lol. But in truth, I think people really didn't know.

When I tried to bring this up to people, that the amendment was for different things as well, if they were against gay marriage, they would say to me, it's not true, we can't vote for gays to marry. I asked all of  them how that affected their lives in any way?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im23vaughn
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I don't care if people knew what was in the admendment or not. It's their civic duty to know. If they had went to 1 site that was not supporting the admendment they would have easily found out this information. I am sure the GLBT community was working hard to get this information out. But people seem to only flock to articles & website that reenforce their belief.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

No one's right to an opinion ever ends. You cannot dictate that someone MUST feel/think/vote in a particular manner. We not like other opinions, we may be angered or hut by other opinions, but yes people have a right to think what they want to think. People should have a right to a differing opinion without being subjected to name calling. What happened to no bullying, what happened to tolerance. Calling people out for  an unpopular opinion is in my mind no less tolerant than what everyone is so upset about. Name calling and generalizing is  no way to advance a cause or to get people to look at the other side of the issue. It only serves to polarize people even more. 

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

When I see people in threads on CM bring out the whole "this is how I feel, I have a right to my opinion" bullcrap on the gay marriage issue, this amendment and similar ones is what I think of.  Sorry, but you don't have a right to your opinion when you take your opinion to the polls and vote to restrict people's rights and freedoms.  You know the whole saying "Your rights end where another's begins"?  Well, you right to your opinion that gay marriage is wrong ended when you took it to the polls and used it to vote against gay marriage - against the marriage rights of others.

So many who are against gays think that their opinion doesn't hurt anyone, but they are so, so wrong.  This amendment is proof positive that it indeed does.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Why vote for anything then? You and I may have different opinions as to who should run the country. Does that mean that your right to think what you want ends as you walk into the polling place and you are forced to vote for someone you don't want? Because after all, your opinion of president may force me to live by your opinion. Right?

Quoting candlegal:

funny how people feel that way when the vote doesn't come out the way they wanted it to.  The truth of the matter is that the majority of the country doesn't not agree with homosexuals getting married.  This has been proven every time it has been put on a ballot.  Every time

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting candlegal:

Which is why we have a difference of opinion on this.  Isn't  that part of what makes America great?

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting PhoenixsMommy10:

I'm almost positive that "producing offspring" wasn't a reason I got married...you don't have to be married to get pregnant!

Also according to my wedding vows, marriage is a partnership based on love, trust, and respect. Procreation was never mentioned at my wedding.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting candlegal:

The purpose of marriage is to bring forth offspring.  Since two men/two women cannot procreate, why do they need to get married?

That is YOUR purpose of marriage. That is not everyone else's. Everyone else should not have to adhere to YOUR purpose for wanting to get married.

I have 6 offspring. Not a single one was conceived or even born for that matter while I was married to their father. I was fixed before I got married 2 years ago. Producing offspring def. had nothing to do with why I got married.

There is a big difference between having an opinion and voting to make sure everyone else has to live by your opinion.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Quoting im23vaughn:

I don't care if people knew what was in the admendment or not. It's their civic duty to know. If they had went to 1 site that was not supporting the admendment they would have easily found out this information. I am sure the GLBT community was working hard to get this information out. But people seem to only flock to articles & website that reenforce their belief.

Just think had Obama come out in support of SSM just 2 days earlier the election may have gone the other way....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)