Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pets moms vs. Real moms

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this
So I recently was linked to an article on a cat blog that was about how pet moms are moms too. I read it, thought about it, and commented.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the choice to have babies, and that some simply choose not to. I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a pet mom or refer to their cat as their kid... Whatever floats your boat. I stated all of this and then simply tried to point out that call yourself what you might, but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids. I pointed out the difference in financial commitments, time commitments, and sheer energy. Their response to me was vicious. Saying things such as "well my cat will never grow up to be a serial killer", or saying things such as "ohhh we have another martyr". I became incensed. I abhor anyone pitying me (why would you pity someone with the greatest job in the world), I certainly don't need recognition, I know what I do and how important it is.

I don't dislike animals. Quite the opposite, I love having dogs but being a single mom of a five and two year old I simply haven't the time or energy to have yet another entity that depends solely on me. I also can most assuredly say that I can love a pet to pieces, but i could never put a pet on the same level of my children.

After a heated discussion I was banned from the discussion, while the people who made wild accusations about my mothering skills, and said that children in general are nothing but problems waiting to happen were not rebuked in any way. I generally do my best to avoid conflict, but in this case I urge you to check the site yourself. (link posted below)

Be any kind of mother you want to, but never imply that having a cat is in any way like the job we moms do day and night for the rest of our lives.

Site here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/hey-susan-maushart-pet-moms-are-real-moms
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ameliacaldeira
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM

holy crap.

not even

my cat can act like a two yr old sometimes, wiiiinneing, starved for attention, at my feet while im cooking, and constantly putting things in her mouth she will definantly choke on.

BUT

my cat can poo by herself, and feed herself- all i have to do is clean the box everyonce in a while and fill her dish.

she also sleeps without prompting, can be left unsupervise for the weekend(given food), and can be locked in the bathroom during fancy partys.

cats deserve love, but they didnt come out my vajayjay therefor we all know who wins 

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
4 moms liked this
I couldn't finish the article, my damn cat keeps nagging me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GraceHudson
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM
bump

1stpreggers
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow these ppl are crazy comparing newborns to horses. I'm happy they don't have human kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  I was a "cat mom" (meaning I had cats, multiple ones, but never called myself that) for 5 years before I had kids.  I loved my cats and took good care of them and it took time and energy to do so, but it did not even come close to comparing to the love, time, energy, committment I have for my kids.  Not even in the same league.  I also have a dog, which is more time and energy than a cat, and the dog doesn't come close to comparison either.

I know what it's like, to be a pet owner and not know how it is with kids.  When I had my cats, I once told my sister that I would run inside the burning house to save my cats.  You know what?  I was an idiot.  I was speaking out of ignorance.  No animal life is worth giving up a human life for.  I will risk my life for my kids.  I will NOT risk my life for my pets.

Pets are very deserving of our respect and kindness and basic good care.  They are not on the same level as us.  I will always hold my kids in higher regard than any pet I will ever have.

inkaholicj
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Simply put I will do absolutely anything to save and protect my kids- jump infront of a moving vehicle, run into a burning building, etc. I love my dogs. But I will not risk life and limb for them. My kids need me more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kindasparkly
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
One of the pet owners said I was heartless, said my children must live in a loveless environment.... Blah blah blah. The hilarious thing is that I am the one who gets an email from the administrator saying I'm out of line. If you have free time go on and comment them.
haleykj
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Um wow. What a bunch of loonies. Humans are wired to love their children. Skin to skin cOntact causes the release of oxytocin which aids in the bonding process of mother and child. (a's does breastfeeding, birth itself, &other things). You can love a cat but you are not biologically wired to love and nurture it. I for one, don't like cats at all. I KIND OF like dogs (I have two of them BC dh loves them) but forthe most part I am not an animal lover. But I am one of the most nurturing parents you'll ever meet. Again, were wired for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kindasparkly
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM
The funniest thing is that I'm glad people like this choose to just have cats. They call it pet momming, I call it natural selection,
nb34
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Oh, wow they are crazy to think raising a cat is even comparable to raising a human with complex physical and emotional needs. Their brain seem to be as small as their pet's brain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN