Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

For those against gay marriage... why?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 646 Replies
3 moms liked this

I'm genuinely curious here...

Affording the right to marry the person you chose to be with seems very basic to me. So I admit that I really don't understand the opposition to gay marriage. In an attempt to see through the eyes of the other side, what reasons do those of you who disapprove have for it?

Is it a fear that it will open the door to other things? If so, what?

Is it a general disapproval of the gay lifestyle?

Is it religion based?

Do you feel it will somehow impact your marriage and/or family? Your community?

Or is it something else all together?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperChicken
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM
13 moms liked this

Honestly, I don't care what excuse someone spouts.  There is only one true reason to deny someone else the same rights one wants for themselves - in this case the right to marry the person they love.  And that reason is they are a hate filled bigot.

Not to ruin your thread, or anything.  Of course, the hate filled bigots are free to spout their lying excuses and pretend that people other than their hate filled bigot friends believe them.

Lissa0985
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM
16 moms liked this
I believe a society has a right to define the words they themselves use.

I believe that society, can disallow parents from marrying their kids even when those kids are adults. Such disallowments, doesn't violate any civil rights.

Society, doesn't make any laws that prevent you or anyone from loving anybody. But, society has a right to recognize certain unions formed by love doesn't mean that society has to recognize all forms of unions based on love (or anything for that matter)

Besides, you can get married legally without loving each other; so what does love has to do with this issue anyways.

All the laws on marriage basically says, one man and one women. Anyone can get married. If you don't like to marry someone of the opposite sex because you lack the sexually attachment, you feel you need for your marriage... Then it's a "you" problem and you shouldn't force society to change its culture, language, and laws to meet your needs for recognition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaday
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, that is your stance on whether or not society as a whole should have the right to ban it. But my question is about your personal stance. What is the reason you personally are opposed to it? Is it for the sake of keeping status quo with the current definition? Or do you have another motivation for wanting it to be banned?

Quoting Lissa0985:

I believe a society has a right to define the words they themselves uses.

I believe that society, can disallow parents from marrying their kids even when those kids are adults. Such disallowments, doesn't violate any civil rights.

Society, doesn't make any laws that prevent you or anyone from loving anybody. But, society has a right to recognize certain unions formed by love doesn't mean that society has to recognize all forms of unions based on love (or anything for that matter)

Besides, you can get married legally without loving each other; so what does love has to do with this issue anyways.

All the law on marriage basically says, one man and one women. Anyone can get married. If you don't like to marry someone of the opposite sex because you lack the sexually attachment, you feel you need for your marriage... Then it's a "you" problem and you shouldn't force society to change its culture, language, and laws to meet your needs for recognition.

mandaday
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Really? Not one person who is against gay marriage can verbalize why?

aimeerd
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM
6 moms liked this

I at one time did not want gays to get married. For me it was a religious thing. I was taught at a young age that being gay was a sin and that it would hurt society if gays were able to get married. That marriage was from god and its sacred and gays could not be married because god says that being gay was a sin.  I was very sheltered and just took what I was taught as the truth, because I did not know any better. Now I am ashamed that I ever thought that way. My best friend is gay and I can see that being gay dose not make him any less human. Being gay is a part of him, just like being straight is a part of who my husband is. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting mandaday:

Really? Not one person who is against gay marriage can verbalize why?

Why bother?

It's futile.  People have their minds made up. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Most have a fear that something they do not agree with will become the 'norm'. We can't have that.  

Others hide behind God.  

What most fail to realize, to understand, is that they have no moral right to expect others to believe as they do.  To live as they do.  Many cannot keep their own within their own, they feel it is their duty, their right, to make such decisions for others.

There is no valid reason to take a stand such a thing.  It is all fear and false.

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Damn... I'm eagerly awaiting these answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM
5 moms liked this

Because they love thinking about the sex lives of other people. Its a thrill for them.

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM
9 moms liked this

for those that say its because of religion, is that the only thing that you disapprove of?  The bible has a truck load of things that it considers sinful and wrong.  Have you ever cut your hair? sin, Do you have a tattoo? sin, have you or do you have sex just for shits and giggles? sin, gotta make that baby, Have you ever spoken ill or been mean to someone else? sin, I could go on and on, but I am guessing you get the idea.  It must be very convenient to pick and chose what you (general you)  want to hide behind and call it God's law:/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN