Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Keep Your Unvaccinated Child Away **UPDATE**

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 227 Replies
14 moms liked this

UPDATES:

Update 2: 4 babies have died in my county alone from Whooping cough this year. A school close by was just shut down because of an outbreak. Health officials are urging everyone to get their booster, especially those who come into contact with babies under the age of 1. And no, I am not ranting or raving. I respect both sides of this issue as I am on both sides of this issue (I cannot take all vaccinations due to my lupus).

Update 1: No, I will not be a hermit. She gets her first vaccinations at 6-8 weeks. After that I will breathe better. How does not wanting to see my child die young from something that is PREVENTABLE make me a lunatic? No, it makes me a concerned mother, which we ALL are. ALSO the reason there is outbreaks is because people forget to get their BOOSTER shot. You need a BOOSTER EVERY 8-10 YEARS for the Whooping Cough vaccination to remain effective.

You are entitled to your opinion, I mine. I don't believe I was being rude or disrespectful, as I stated everything is your choice. So if you have proof or an interesting article that supports your case, let me know. I don't believe in giving children too many antibiotics. Or over-medicating. Vaccinations, several who have saved my life (I was born in Haiti) I will not skip!

ORIGINAL POST

I believe, that ultimately, it is your decision not to vaccinate your child. I understand that there are a few circumstances that actually call for it. But those who do not fall into the category of the select few are putting others at risk.

Fact, the link to autism and vaccinations has been DEBUNKED. Over and over and over and over again.

Fact, the benefits outweigh the risks when it comes to vaccinating your child.

Fact, it is your choice whether not to vaccinate

BUT if you are unwilling to vaccinate your child, keep them out of the schools and day-cares. They are a danger to all with compromised immune systems (like me, I have Lupus), babies, the elderly, and young children. Case in point, whooping cough is at EPIDEMIC levels in my state right now. Whooping cough while annoying to adults is very serious in young children and DEADLY to infants. Newborns cannot get their first set of shots until they are 6-8 weeks old. And the effectivness of the whooping cough vaccination is not "solid" enough until they are about 1 year when they have had enough of the series.

Because of that no one in my family, or any of my friends for that matter are allowed around my baby girl (due in 8 weeks!) without having been vaccinated FIRST.

They just shut down an entire middle school due to an outbreak out here. Adults think they have an annoying cough until the "whooping sound" sets in. By then they are past their most contagious period (the first 21 days) and have spread it to loved ones. I hear new heartbreaking stories every day. Diseases that we have not seen for 30-40 years are coming back in the form of outbreaks because people believe Jenny McCarthy over their doctors!

I am sure I will get bashed! But whatever, it is what I believe. And if you don't cry after reading Kailah's story, I don't know what to say...

http://shotbyshot.org/pertussis/kaliahs-story/

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal; it is the Courage to Continue that Counts." -- Winston Churchill

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, we discovered I had no immunity against measles, which could cause horrible birth defects in a pregnancy.

I had to avoid all children on the chance that one of them might have measles.

mandaday
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

popcorn

chelsieb84
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jonellg
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM
7 moms liked this

if they didn't vax, but you did how are they putting your vaxed kid a risk??

sherry132
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a compromised immune system and the lack of vaccinating puts me at risk every single day. I've had chicken pox four times, and nearly died three of times. I've had the measles twice. I don't build immunities and even though I'm vaccinated, it's not likely to take. Whooping cough would kill me. So, mostly I agree with you. 

jewels5525
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Your newborn i can understand wanting to keep away from any unvaccinated people/children.  however once she has been vaccinated herself, than how are unvaccinated children putting her at any risk.  She will be vaccinated.

sherry132
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not those with vax that she is talking about. It is the ones with the compromised immune system that she is talking about. New babies, elderly, her with Lupus, it's those people. Not the children who have had vaccinations. 

Quoting jonellg:

jonellg
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

ok

Quoting sherry132:

It's not those with vax that she is talking about. It is the ones with the compromised immune system that she is talking about. New babies, elderly, her with Lupus, it's those people. Not the children who have had vaccinations. 

Quoting jonellg:

Aslen
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM
10 moms liked this
if your children are vaccinated, any unvaccinated children shouldn't hurt them. fact: most outbreaks, epideics, and pandemics are caused by those were vaccinated. whooping cough is more often transmitted from parent to child than child to child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree!! And good for you mama for keeping your baby girl safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured