Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Time Magazine's cover of a woman breastfeeding a three-year-old

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/time-breastfeeding-cover-sparks-immediate-controversy-151539970.html

So, I get that breastfeeding is natural and I believe it is a personal choice.  I did not breastfeed any of my children because I wasn't comfortable and because it wasn't somethin I was able to do with my first two.  My first was born four weeks early and she wasn't able to latch on so she had to have a bottle.  I pumped for her for two months, but never actually breastfed.  My second was born with pneumonia and couldn't eat for his first two days of life.  He was on an IV instead.  I pumped while he wasn't eating and saved those bottles and then continued pumping but my supply was gone after two weeks because I couldn't keep up with him.  He was eating 8 oz halfway through his first week of life!  My newest baby had no interest in it and I just didn't have much of an interest either.  It's just not a comfortable thing for me and my other children were never sick and are very bright.  I buy only organic formula (without the brown rice syrup) and baby foods so as to avoid pesticides and antibiotics and growth hormones, but do not breastfeed.  However, I do not have issues with mothers who do.  Why would I?  I will admit that sometimes I feel uncomfortable when I encounter a mother doing it in public, but not too bad if they are covered up.  This Time cover is creepy, though.  At what age should you STOP breastfeeding?  I would think that when the baby has teeth and is eating solids you should stop.  Reading about true crimes I have found that statistics show that canibalism in murderers is more common when the child was breastfed for an extended amount of time.  Crazy!  I, also, just think it's creepy and I don't think I'm alone.  But, also, what about the video of Salma Hayek breastfeeding the baby in Sierra Leone?  That is bizarre in my opinion.  What are your thoughts on this article, photo, and video? 

by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Quoting tansyflower:

not even a full two pages in and you had to throw out the word titty?  i have never heard a nursing child call their mothers breast a "titty".

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

1. the TIME cover is creepy

2. The video you posted is funny

3. My rule is once they can say milk, or titty, etc its time to stop.  

Then you need to visit the CM Breastfeeding support group - yes there certainly are moms that use titty and boobie - and the kids are old enough to say those words. 

LoveMyLilPeople
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CJsMommy2011:

Quoting LoveMyLilPeople:

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

Did you watch the video about breastfeeding in public at the bottom of the story about the magazine cover?  I just found the part where Salma Hayek was breastfeeding a stranger's baby to be a little odd.

^^ Who cares if she was breast feeding a strangers baby!? We drink milk from a cow....maybe not right from the cow but still the same concept right? To each their own :)

I think it's strange.  You may not, I do.  Sorry you think that's silly.  When I actually think about what we're doing when we drink cow's milk it freaks me out too.  I don't really drink milk because I think it's bizarre.  I use it in cooking when it's called for, but that's about it.  I don't understand her motivation in doing this.  She went to another country full up on milk to breastfeed their young?  Strange.  I don't understand the benefit for this baby either.  I would understand if she was taking this baby in and was going to continue to give him breastmilk, but when your just nursing a baby one time and then leaving it hardly provides him with the nutrients women who bf are hoping to provide a baby with.  Nobody there was bf him so I don't understand her motives.  That is why it is creepy to me.  If a woman came into my house and stuck her breast in my infant son's mouth I would probably back hand her and call the cops. 

tansyflower
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Quoting LoveMyLilPeople:

Quoting tansyflower:

not even a full two pages in and you had to throw out the word titty?  i have never heard a nursing child call their mothers breast a "titty".

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

I would think, "What's the point in even saying that", too.  I can't, though, because I heard a particularly trashy mother once telling a group of women that she knew it was time to stop breastfeeding her son when he came to her and said he wanted some "titty".  I was repulsed to hear that and I think the women she was speaking to were as well.  I think her son who was nineteen or twenty at the time that she said this and was within earshot was mortified.

well one trashy mother does not by any means represent the majority of breastfeeding mothers.  i have probably known 40 plus breastfeeding mothers in my lifetime and i have never heard their child refer to it as a "titty." 

that word is so often used in reference to breastfeeding when a person wants to make breastfeeding into a vulgar sexual act which it is not regardless of the age of the child.  just because someone is uncomfortable when they see an older child who is nursing does not mean that the child or nursing mother is doing it for some kind of weird sexual pleasure.  i just wish more people would be able to differentiate that.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I breastfed my first child and this baby will be breastfed as well.  I covered in public and even some at home.  I don't want to see another woman's boobs, I don't want to see pictures of women nursing,etc.  

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My children all self-weaned. All were done with the boob long before age 3, but if they hadn't been, c'est la vie!

Why would you judge someone's choice on how to feed and comfort her child?

You chose to formula feed. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there was nothing wrong with me breastfeeding, even when it went beyond a year.

Now, I do admit to a bit of a weirdness for me when kids in the 5-7 year range are still at the boob, but it is none of my business.

CJsMommy2011
by New Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LoveMyLilPeople:

Quoting CJsMommy2011:

Quoting LoveMyLilPeople:

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

Did you watch the video about breastfeeding in public at the bottom of the story about the magazine cover?  I just found the part where Salma Hayek was breastfeeding a stranger's baby to be a little odd.

^^ Who cares if she was breast feeding a strangers baby!? We drink milk from a cow....maybe not right from the cow but still the same concept right? To each their own :)

I think it's strange.  You may not, I do.  Sorry you think that's silly.  When I actually think about what we're doing when we drink cow's milk it freaks me out too.  I don't really drink milk because I think it's bizarre.  I use it in cooking when it's called for, but that's about it.  I don't understand her motivation in doing this.  She went to another country full up on milk to breastfeed their young?  Strange.  I don't understand the benefit for this baby either.  I would understand if she was taking this baby in and was going to continue to give him breastmilk, but when your just nursing a baby one time and then leaving it hardly provides him with the nutrients women who bf are hoping to provide a baby with.  Nobody there was bf him so I don't understand her motives.  That is why it is creepy to me.  If a woman came into my house and stuck her breast in my infant son's mouth I would probably back hand her and call the cops. 

I totally understand your point and we'll probably never know the motive behind it. But it is what it is and we all have our own take on it :)

It may be bizarre but certainly not offensive in my book.

LoveMyLilPeople
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Quoting CJsMommy2011:

It is brilliant! It's edgey, shocking and will make anyone want to pick it up and read it. Not all women breastfeed the same but the message and intentions are all the same. No one should be offended by a woman feeding her child no matter what the age is. I've read some of the comments on other sites and its appauling. Some people need to educate themselves on the benefits of breastfeeding despite the childs age. And also realize it is completely natural. You think babies were intended to drink from bottles??? Nopppeee! I breastfed my son for 3 months then we switched to bottle feeding but I still support breast feeding 100%

Ive also read how provacative the image is and how it shouldnt be in stores for families to see....Well neither should 90% of all other magazines with the womens breasts practically popping out of their tops and their barely there bottoms, dresses or what have you. People don't complain about that everyday now do they? so why this??

I agree that bf may be good for babies.  I don't think good formula is harmful either, though.  Babies may not naturally be made for bottles, but it is something that is a good supplement when it is necessary or wanted.  However, I do know that teeth were meant for chewing solid food.  A child that can sit at a table and eat a full meal doesn't require breast milk.  I gave my babies breast milk as long as I could.  It was pumped, but they had the colostrum that is supposed to be so good for them. 

I agree that it's silly that people are saying this shouldn't be on shelves when there are far more lewd images all over the place for people to see. 

tansyflower
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

Then you need to visit the CM Breastfeeding support group - yes there certainly are moms that use titty and boobie - and the kids are old enough to say those words. 

i am part of that group and the only people i have ever seen use the word titty are non-members who post because its an open group and say things like "put your damn titties away, my husband shouldnt have to see that!." 

the word boobie has a completly differnent conentation that the word titty...its like the difference between pee-pee and pecker.

H.M.Wright
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

just watched it, yes that is very odd.

Quoting LoveMyLilPeople:

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Seriously, you've never heard a nursing child call the breast "titty"?  Breasts are teats, tit is short for teat and easier to say.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting H.M.Wright:

here are my thoughts....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)