Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mitt Romney apologizes for the ‘dumb things’ he did in prep school

Posted by   + Show Post

Blog Alert!  I just saw this story on CNN, but this blog is the first thing that I saw online.  I'll post more reputable sources as I find them.

If this story is true, will it have any effect on the elections?

Mitt Romney has apologized for incidents described in a Washington Post story about his prep school years in Michigan. Some of the events include forcibly cutting a boy's hair and hassling a closeted gay student in English class.

"Back in high school, I did some dumb things," Romney said in an interview on the "Kilmeade and Friends" talk show on Fox News radio Thursday. "And if anybody was hurt by that or offended by that, I apologize." He added: "There is no question I became a very different person since then."

Romney emphasized that he had no idea the boy was gay. "I certainly don't believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual," said Romney in the radio interview. "That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s."

According to the Washington Post, which conducted interviews with the presidential candidate's former classmates at the Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Romney forcibly cut the "bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye" of a "soft-spoken" new kid because he felt the boy didn't belong. The story is a 5,400-word profile of Romney's formative years; the incident occurred in 1965.

"He can't look like that," an "incensed" Romney told one of his friends upon seeing John Lauber's hair, according to the friend's account. "That's wrong. Just look at him!"

A few days later in a dorm room, several other students pinned down Lauber-who was "perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality"-while the presumptive Republican nominee "clipped his hair with a pair of scissors." A "terrified" Lauber was crying and screaming, according to the paper.

"It was a hack job," Phillip Maxwell, a student who witnessed the incident, told the Post. "It was vicious." Lauber died in 2004.

Romney also chided another student presumed to be gay, wrote the Post:

In an English class, Gary Hummel, who was a closeted gay student at the time, recalled that his efforts to speak out in class were punctuated with Romney shouting, "Atta girl!" In the culture of that time and place, that was not entirely out of the norm. Hummel recalled some teachers using similar language.

According to his campaign, Romney doesn't recall the incidents.

"Anyone who knows Mitt Romney knows that he doesn't have a mean-spirited bone in his body," Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said in a statement to the Post. "The stories of fifty years ago seem exaggerated and off base and Governor Romney has no memory of participating in these incidents."

It's worth noting that the Romney campaign, itself, is notorious for its pranks.

On April 1, Romney's campaign staff scheduled a speech for the former Massachusetts governor in a completely empty room.

"I think they're much funnier when I do them on other people than when they do them on me," Romney later said of the prank, captured by a campaign staffer on video. "But this was very good. This was classic."

Eric Fehrnstrom, a senior adviser to the Romney campaign, recently told the Hill that Romney is a "closet prankster." When Romney was governor, a state trooper on his security detail "short-sheeted" the bed in his hotel room, Fehrnstrom said. Romney retaliated by composing a fake letter from the hotel that said the maid staff had been fired.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mitt-romney-apologizes-dumb-things-did-prep-school-152935856.html

by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I'm a staunch Reublican, but this doesn't bode well for him.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Who didn't do dumb things when they were a kid?

BTW...if anyone knows a guy named Scott with curly red hair who went to my elementary school, tell him I'm sorry about the cabbage patch doll and the fart letter. I'd find him of FB and tell him meself but i can't remember his last name.

Tanya93
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

There is no reason to do this about him.

I have a friend that went to HS with Obama.  Um, some of the stuff she told me....wow.   But it doesn't matter.   People grow and change.

Taurus_Girl78
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Happymamax2:

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Who cares what they did when hey were younger and in prep school.  He is aloud to be human and make mistakes like everyone else in this crazy world. It is what they are going to do now as adults for our country. He has my vote 100%.

Hope your kid is never at the receiving end of bullying like that.... If my kid was, I certainly wouldn't give the bully my vote 20 years later!

I am sure you, your kids, family and everyone else in here aren't perfect. I will vote for a Republican any day over a Democrat with no morals or values.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Did you assault anyone?  Not just a mutual fight, but assault a person with a group of people?

Quoting UpSheRises:

Who didn't do dumb things when they were a kid?

BTW...if anyone knows a guy named Scott with curly red hair who went to my elementary school, tell him I'm sorry about the cabbage patch doll and the fart letter. I'd find him of FB and tell him meself but i can't remember his last name.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Quoting Happymamax2:

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Who cares what they did when hey were younger and in prep school.  He is aloud to be human and make mistakes like everyone else in this crazy world. It is what they are going to do now as adults for our country. He has my vote 100%.

Hope your kid is never at the receiving end of bullying like that.... If my kid was, I certainly wouldn't give the bully my vote 20 years later!

I am sure you, your kids, family and everyone else in here aren't perfect. I will vote for a Republican any day over a Democrat with no morals or values.

See...you can't just simply answer a question. You have to throw an insult in there as well. Why?

Taurus_Girl78
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Quoting Happymamax2:

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

See...you can't just simply answer a question. You have to throw an insult in there as well. Why?

I can have a adult conversation with a lot of people but when I feel they are attacking me I attack back. I find it funny you always call me out on my faults what about you and your groupies always judging me and bashing me because I do not agree with you???Hmmm???

Happymamax2
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Nobody is perfect. Not everyone commits assault. If those are the "morals" and "values" you are looking for, then you definitely shouldn't vote for President Obama! Lol.
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

Quoting Happymamax2:

Quoting Taurus_Girl78:

I can have a adult conversation with a lot of people but when I feel they are attacking me I attack back. I find it funny you always call me out on my faults what about you and your groupies always judging me and bashing me because I do not agree with you???Hmmm???

I have no groupies...I'm only a little older to this group than you are.

I don't think I'm bashing you but only asking questions about your opinions...to gain further insight to your thought processes. 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I'm right there with you two.

Quoting LauraKW:

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Quoting Happymamax2:

Well, I think holding down a kid, leading a pack of kids to harass him, and then actually cutting his hair, is a little more than a dumb prank in high school.... It speaks to character.

I don't happen to think there is an excuse for being a cruel person. Ever. I also don't think it is something someone grows out of.

Maybe this seems like small potatoes to some people, but my bet is they never endured cruel harassment, and the people defending him have probably done some bullying themselves...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)