Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should WIC provide formula for moms capable of breastfeeding? **UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine is a peer counselor at the health dept and was telling me how much WIC spends on formula a year. I don't remember the exact number, and am mobile so I can't look it up right now, but I remember thinking it was ridiculously high.

If you receive WIC and choose to breastfeed, they have lactation consultants and peer counselors to help with any questions, support, etc. They provide you with a top of the line breast pump, storage bags, even a nifty little connector so you can use your car outlet to hook it up and pump on the go :)
I, personally, don't have an opinion on this but am curious as to what others think. I've seen people make the argument that welfare isn't a right and if you're capable of working, you should work. So, if a mom is capable of breastfeeding, should she?

ETA: My lactation consultant said that in her 18 yrs of her career, she's only seen 3 women that truly couldn't breastfeed. She said most women just lack knowledge and support.

UPDATE! Originally, I said I didn't have an opinion and was more curious as to what others think. I've now formed an opinion and here it goes... And please read it all before replying. I've repeated myself so much already, so I'm going to get it all out here:

1) For those saying it's a woman's right to choose what to do with her body: Yes, it is. But it's also your responsibility to provide for your family. WIC is a privilege, not a right. Nobody else is responsible for feeding your kid but you.. and if you have the means to feed your kid (breastfeeding), then WIC shouldn't be paying for your formula. If you want formula, buy it. If you can't afford it, breastfeed.

2) For those saying that they couldn't/can't breastfeed because of medical conditions or other logical reasons making them incapable to breastfeed, none of this applies to you. If you're doing all you can, feel free to go to WIC and get formula and feed your baby and continue to be an awesome mom.

3) If you just "don't want" to breastfeed, or you think it's gross, or you're not comfortable with it, or you're too depressed to breastfeed, or any of these other excuses: PLEASE suck it up and take care of your child. I know this sounds unsympathetic, but what do you think women did before WIC? They sucked it up and provided for their child. I've made a lot of sacrifices as a mom.. that's just a part of being a mom.

4) This has ZERO to do with my tax dollars. I don't really care what they do with my tax dollars, I have to pay them anyways. What I care about is that systems like WIC, while doing a LOT of good, are also enabling women to be selfish and dependent on other people. No, I don't think all women on WIC are selfish and lazy. I received WIC for food and milk, but I also breastfed exclusively and worked 70+ hours a week. For anyone to think that WIC or anyone else is expected to feed their kid, when the mom is perfectly capable of doing it themselves, totally baffles me.

5) I've said it at least 10 times in the replies, but this is NOT a bf vs ff debate. This is not about promoting breastfeeding, it's about promoting taking responsibility for your own family.

6) LAST BUT NOT LEAST -- NO, logistically speaking, I don't think WIC should ever deny a woman of formula, even if she absolutely refuses to breastfeed for whatever reason. I don't want any baby to starve, no matter how selfish their mom is.

by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
Tanya93
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

You can get food from other places than the government providing it.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I dont see the comparrison here?

Quoting Tanya93:

So you are against food stamps and the free/reduced school meal program?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Since when is WIC the only place a person can get formula?

Quoting pixie92:

no. Since when do we force women to do something with their body? a mother that doesnt want to brestfeed should not be forced to. One it isnt mentally healthy for the woman and it will make it harder on the baby. Number two a woman suffers enough with depression after giving birth and this could make it way worse and could end up hurting the child. Let women chose what is best for them.

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Quoting momma2b2008:

No, I don't think that they should. I know this goes a step farther, but I also don't think that hospitals should hand out formula so easily. I think that you should HAVE to at least attempt while you are in the hospital to breastfeed.

I replied earlier why I didn't breast feed. I have a medical condition that is passed through breast milk. Apparently the nurse I had didn't think that was a good enough reason & got super pissy when I refused to breast feed. My doctor told her not to give him a bottle, to wait & let me feed him first. But she ignored her & rudely shoved a bottle in my newborn son's mouth & made a comment about young mom's not even trying to breast feed. :'( I think if the nurses are made aware (which she was, she was just too ignorant to listen) of a medical condition, that they should loosen up a bit about it.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM
5 moms liked this

Is a woman's job taken into consideration as to whether she is "capable"?  For instance, a bus driver.  I'm not positive, but I doubt she is going to have a location to pump several times each day.  A cab driver, a waitress, a Wal-Mart employee, a janitor, a toll booth attendant - off the top of my head, these workers are likely not going to have a clean private location where they can pump at least twice each day.  The cashier at the gas station, the lady at the carwash, the cleaning lady who goes from house to house, the drive-thru worker at McD's - I don't see these people having the environment to pump their breasts.

Quoting mommychelle01:

I'm not an expert, but the only way I can see to determine that is for the woman to attempt to breastfeed.

And I believe most people would classify WIC as being a type of welfare.

Quoting LauraKW:

WIC isn't welfare, is it?  As for your topic, who gets to define "capable"?

Ronique1989
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM
6 moms liked this
Since when did wasting money for fake milk when the mother has the goods a great idea? That could be extra WIC cash for fruit and veggies, etc. It could be used for other programs within WIC such as breastpumps, nutritional cooking classes etc etc I could go on all day for the many uses that WIC can use the money. If a woman doesn't want to breastfeed her kid, fine it's her decision. However, she shouldn't expect or demand financial aid because of it. If WIC didn't exist, guess what that woman would have to do? BREASTFEED. Now if the woman or baby has a medical reason as to why the mother couldn't/shouldn't breastfeed, or the baby has a bad reaction, is a preemie and needs the extra calories or cannot digest it, then it would not be a waste of money.

Quoting pixie92:

since when is spending money on food for a baby a waste?

Quoting Ronique1989:

Imho unless she has a medical reason as to why she cannot breastfeed, then WIC should not foot the bill. The money wasted can be used for other necessities.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM
3 moms liked this
wic is for women infants and children. Their concern is for the health of the three. Providing food for the infant is part of what they are there for just like providing information and nutrional stuff to the mother during pregnancy. They are not there to force a mother to brestfeed or not they provide the facts of both and allow her the choice. Just as they should and so should we. It is none of our business why a woman choses to bestfeed or not.

Quoting mommychelle01:

Nobody would be forcing them to breastfeed, but why should WIC have to pay to feed their baby because they chose not to breastfeed? Free formula isn't a right.

Quoting pixie92:

no. Since when do we force women to do something with their body? a mother that doesnt want to brestfeed should not be forced to. One it isnt mentally healthy for the woman and it will make it harder on the baby. Number two a woman suffers enough with depression after giving birth and this could make it way worse and could end up hurting the child. Let women chose what is best for them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I honestly don't know much about WIC.  Just hadn't occurred to me that it would be considered welfare. 

Quoting areid1023:

how is WIC not welfare? 

i am admittedly very poorly versed and uneducated in this field but i would like to know more. 

Quoting LauraKW:

WIC isn't welfare, is it?  As for your topic, who gets to define "capable"?

Magilla_Gorilla
by New Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM
2 moms liked this

My WIC office told me that I had to wait 6 months for a pump to become available. So that wasn't an option for me. However, I worked in the NICU so when it was break time, I would sit in the private room and use the hospital pumps and then bag and tag for later.  I was fortunate. Not all women have those circumstances.

Tanya93
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this

but it is the business of taxpayers on how the tax money is spent

Quoting pixie92:

wic is for women infants and children. Their concern is for the health of the three. Providing food for the infant is part of what they are there for just like providing information and nutrional stuff to the mother during pregnancy. They are not there to force a mother to brestfeed or not they provide the facts of both and allow her the choice. Just as they should and so should we. It is none of our business why a woman choses to bestfeed or not.

Quoting mommychelle01:

Nobody would be forcing them to breastfeed, but why should WIC have to pay to feed their baby because they chose not to breastfeed? Free formula isn't a right.

Quoting pixie92:

littlelambe2
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree.... and a lot of medical professionals give misinformation about breastfeeding, making it difficult if not impossible for a mother to have a successful breastfeeding relationship. If a mother is capable, but not successful, sometimes its because she is following false info that was given to her from a well-intentioned professional.

Quoting fantasticalmama:

Lactations consultants are paid to get you to breastfeed, whether government funded or private. I have watched many a newborn come into the hospital for malnutrition because the lactation consultant scared the hell out of a new mother. Who is going to be the one to determine if a mother is capable of breastfeeding? Is someone going to make her physically prove that she can not provide enough milk-that's a disturbing thought or is a lactation consultant going to say the mother just needs to try more? I'm not anti breastfeeding, I just think that too much stress is put on new mothers because of the beliefs of others. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Nicely said.  I agree.  All babies need to eat. 

Quoting Mashnut3161:

I think they should. I don't think it is anyones place to Push BF on a woman, I would rather a woman have formula available to feed her child so the child can eat, then have the child starve bc the mom won't breastfeed. I'm sorry, But if it means I pay taxes to feed all the starving children, Then I will gladly do that. Yes in a perfect world all women would try to BF, but its not as simple as being able to lactate. I couldn't BF due to my medications that I could not stop do to my health. Would you rather my baby starve. Bc I am not going to trust milk from a donor. sorry. not gonna happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)