Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Military Enrollment Come with a Warning?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
  • 102 Replies
2 moms liked this

Should the posters/recruitment centers for the military have warnings on them like cigarettes do?  Should the posters read, "Warning! Joining the military may cause partial/permanent mental and physical disability with possibility of death and other adverse health problems"   my dh and others who are vets were talking about this....

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
9 moms liked this
Um... Read a contract... Risk of death isnt exactly hidden.

Anyone who has seen an old war movie knows what COULD happen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pittawadda
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM
I joined before 9/11 and they still made it clear what.could happen. Still married to the army all this time later too.
But i won't lie, people can't think. I am in a surgical tech program and they are required to tell us we will be exposed to bodily fluids because people have gotten in the program not knowing they would be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Only after serving should one be able to say those things. 

Just like saying those who reach the ranks or SGM receive a free lobotomy.  Wait, that part is true hehe

emmy526
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM

i'm saying should there be a warning on the advertising posters like there's a warning on cigarettes? i'm not talking about wording in a contract. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Um... Read a contract... Risk of death isnt exactly hidden.

Anyone who has seen an old war movie knows what COULD happen

punky3175
by Punky on May. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
No. If people are that buried in the sand, then no wording on a contract is going to make them have common sense and awareness of what is going on around them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I don't think anyone old enough to join the military has any doubt about the peril a soldier could face.  And if they did, wouldn't that become apparent in the initial screening, and the recruiters could clear up any misconceptions then?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM
4 moms liked this

No. If you're too dumb to know that being a soldier could do seriuos, permanent damage to your life then you ought not join.

pittawadda
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Hehe, or maybe that is exactly who should join. J/k

Quoting UpSheRises:

No. If you're too dumb to know that being a soldier could do seriuos, permanent damage to your life then you ought not join.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BannerElkHogans
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

My brother is 4th generation active military an our family thinks that You know what your getting yourself into when you sign up .....you know you are going into hostile  area an that their objective is to kill you .......how can that message not be more clear?????

Tanya93
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)