Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should Military Enrollment Come with a Warning?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should the posters/recruitment centers for the military have warnings on them like cigarettes do?  Should the posters read, "Warning! Joining the military may cause partial/permanent mental and physical disability with possibility of death and other adverse health problems"   my dh and others who are vets were talking about this....

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
BannerElkHogans
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM

no what?

FrogSalad
by Sooze on May. 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

The warning that I think should be on there would state something to the effect of: 

Thank you very much for putting your life on the line, now shut up and leave us alone.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I do not think it would do any good. I think that some people might need to understand they lack the mental ability for service. That requires understanding one's self and we need a bit different system that the current one. Heck half the people graduating have no idea what they want to do for a career or which one would fit them.

SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I wasn't aware there were a kit of people joining the military who don't know they can die in umm... War. I don't think a warning like that is needed. I feel it's already clear enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timeforprogress
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
So true..

It isn't the dangers that were unexpected. It was the complete lack of true concern and connection from the country as a whole that caught me by surprise.

Yellow ribbons don't mend broken souls.

Quoting FrogSalad:

The warning that I think should be on there would state something to the effect of: 

Thank you very much for putting your life on the line, now shut up and leave us alone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Are people that dumb?

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

My husband is enlisted and they warned him. I also have multiple family and friends I knew during the process of enlistment and they warned them as well.

Lastly, I don't think the military or cigs need a warning. Its quite obvious and if you don't have the common sense to know that stuff could possibly helping then I think thats a personal issues.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM

They warn you of that too, and even let you know that a contract with them binds you to them and nbot them to you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

bookmommy
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I'm pretty sure if anyone watches the news or reads on the internet, all those risks are pretty well spelled out, as well as the fact that there's probably some sort of contract you sign when you enroll.

The purpose is to keep this country safe, and that includes firing weapons and getting into war zones sometimes. I'd think it's pretty clear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured