Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Military Enrollment Come with a Warning?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should the posters/recruitment centers for the military have warnings on them like cigarettes do?  Should the posters read, "Warning! Joining the military may cause partial/permanent mental and physical disability with possibility of death and other adverse health problems"   my dh and others who are vets were talking about this....

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Unfortunately it is. I find them stupid, and that its a personal problem. The idea is, and I hear them say it out loud all the time -particular women- that "I won't deploy" or "the war is dying down so by the time I am out of basic and then trained..." (uh no my dh deployed 2 months after basic!) and the awesome "I'm going to get a desk job or be a cook" ... Do they not need people to run computers and such over there? Its amazing how no one eats the entire 12+ months they go.

I just want to smack them all.

Quoting SlingsAndThings:

I wasn't aware there were a kit of people joining the military who don't know they can die in umm... War. I don't think a warning like that is needed. I feel it's already clear enough.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

They warn you of that too, and even let you know that a contract with them binds you to them and nbot them to you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

That's why I said 'in detail'.  Being told something is one thing, but actually experiencing it is completely different.  I felt like an animal. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

If there are people that dumb out there maybe eugenics isn't such a bad idea.....

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

They warn you of that too, and even let you know that a contract with them binds you to them and nbot them to you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

How would you like to wake up a 5am to go rolling around in deer shit? Not only in deer shit, but as it was early morning, the fog was out so it was all still nice, fresh, and moist. That's where they made us do our physical training. Yea, we could have gone somewhere else, but it amused them.

Here's another. Random piss testing. Sounds normal, right? Yea...have a seargent follow you into the bathroom. You pick a stall and be sure that while you're peeing to keep your legs spead wide so that they can actually see you seeing into the cup. Yea, I mean every word of that. Then, you get to walk thru a crowded hall of people with your piss held high over your head so that it is in sight at all times.

So, not only are you treated like shit, you're treated like a damned criminal/drug addict. Sounds pleasant, right?

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Listen, I am not saying its peaches, never did I say that. I am just saying if you pay attention they tell you they will treat you that way. If you even just listen to the people around you, even no military, you would know that. Its no secrete. People who go in blind did so purposefully IMO. My DH has been in 6 years, he knew all this would happen and so did I when he enlisted out of high school. Most of my family and friends are military and all knew this would be it as well.

In fact, when they used to come recruit at high school during lunch hour, many a person said don't talk to me, I don't want to be treated like property. Kids at 16 knew that, it is common knowledge IMO. I mean, what did you think it would be? They train you for war, they make you a "killer", they "turn mice into real men" ect ect ect.

I'm sorry you don't like it or were unsure of what it would be like. I really am. I don't want anyone to feel poorly about what they have to do each day. That is sad, I realize that. But I just don't understand what you thought you were getting into. I almost enlisted my self and though I already knew they told me flat out at the station what it would be like. My family care plan fell through so obviously I never got to finally sign. 

Again, I am sorry its not for you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting jehosoba84:

How would you like to wake up a 5am to go rolling around in deer shit? Not only in deer shit, but as it was early morning, the fog was out so it was all still nice, fresh, and moist. That's where they made us do our physical training. Yea, we could have gone somewhere else, but it amused them.

Here's another. Random piss testing. Sounds normal, right? Yea...have a seargent follow you into the bathroom. You pick a stall and be sure that while you're peeing to keep your legs spead wide so that they can actually see you seeing into the cup. Yea, I mean every word of that. Then, you get to walk thru a crowded hall of people with your piss held high over your head so that it is in sight at all times.

So, not only are you treated like shit, you're treated like a damned criminal/drug addict. Sounds pleasant, right?

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

What more detail can they do but tell you? What more can you expect as an adult. If I say to you hey, I am going to punch you in the face, and you think its a joke, whos fault is that?

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting jehosoba84:

That's why I said 'in detail'.  Being told something is one thing, but actually experiencing it is completely different.  I felt like an animal. 

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Listen, I am not saying its peaches, never did I say that. I am just saying if you pay attention they tell you they will treat you that way. If you even just listen to the people around you, even no military, you would know that. Its no secrete. People who go in blind did so purposefully IMO. My DH has been in 6 years, he knew all this would happen and so did I when he enlisted out of high school. Most of my family and friends are military and all knew this would be it as well.

In fact, when they used to come recruit at high school during lunch hour, many a person said don't talk to me, I don't want to be treated like property. Kids at 16 knew that, it is common knowledge IMO. I mean, what did you think it would be? They train you for war, they make you a "killer", they "turn mice into real men" ect ect ect.

I'm sorry you don't like it or were unsure of what it would be like. I really am. I don't want anyone to feel poorly about what they have to do each day. That is sad, I realize that. But I just don't understand what you thought you were getting into. I almost enlisted my self and though I already knew they told me flat out at the station what it would be like. My family care plan fell through so obviously I never got to finally sign. 

Again, I am sorry its not for you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting jehosoba84:

I knew were were considered property before I signed. But you know what...most people take care of their property. What I experienced was nothing less than extremely degrading. Sure, they can do whatever the hell they want with us, because we're their property. But it was their choice to deliberately treat us like animals and call it policy. There is the difference.

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I joined with the full knowledge that I could loose my life, be seriously injured and/or mentally disabled.

singlemom1208
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I think when you sign up the risks are a given
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Anyone that joins the military and doesn't *know* that they could/will find themselves in high conflict situations probably aren't all that bright, especially if the joined in the last 10 years.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)