Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Military Enrollment Come with a Warning?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should the posters/recruitment centers for the military have warnings on them like cigarettes do?  Should the posters read, "Warning! Joining the military may cause partial/permanent mental and physical disability with possibility of death and other adverse health problems"   my dh and others who are vets were talking about this....

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Replies (31-40):
bluespagan
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I am a veteran who is 90% disabled through the VA.

I knew what I was getting into.  I just never expected to get hurt the way I did.  I was hurt doing my job stateside.  An electrical panel blew up in my face.  I have neuropathy of my hands, scars, PTSD and about 6 other problems listed.

I think that recruiters need to make people aware that it isn't all roses and lollipops.  I think that when you give people all the "free school, see the world, have a stable job, get experience" so on and so forth it sets them up to think about only the good and forget about the bad. 

AMBG825
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I think if someone is so stupid that they don't know that joining the military could be dangerous to your health, I would hope they would fail the entry qualifications to get in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Well, if anyone bothered to read the contracts they sign, it isn't a "big secret".  Where exactly would that warning go, on the window of the recruitment center?

I so would laugh if they had that fast talking person who is in all the car commercials who in literally 8 seconds reverbs all the contractual information at the end of the commercial.  Imagine that with a military commercial.

I suppose it could be done, but honestly don't think it would make much of a difference and would make it more difficult (in my opninion) for vets to collect benefits.  I could totally see the military going "but we warned you".  It's hard enough already to get vets their benefits. 

gracieb3
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I think it's well known the military can do all of this. However I think the military should require counseling and cover it all so that the men/women enter and exit with excellent mental health. 

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Damn girlfriend you make me miss the Army.  I use to be the urinalysis NCO for 3 years.  At least you didn't have to carry 30 containers of urine around all day, sitting on your desk until you could turn it in.  At least, you didn't have to be up and at the office 2 hours before everyone else prepping everything and then getting bitched out 100 times over because people were "too tired" to come in. 

Loved it, loved PT, although we didn't do it until 630 am.  Never encountered deer shit, but stepped in what I am sure was bear shit a few times.  Son of a mother puss bucket, I wish I was still in. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

They warn you of that too, and even let you know that a contract with them binds you to them and nbot them to you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

How would you like to wake up a 5am to go rolling around in deer shit? Not only in deer shit, but as it was early morning, the fog was out so it was all still nice, fresh, and moist. That's where they made us do our physical training. Yea, we could have gone somewhere else, but it amused them.

Here's another. Random piss testing. Sounds normal, right? Yea...have a seargent follow you into the bathroom. You pick a stall and be sure that while you're peeing to keep your legs spead wide so that they can actually see you seeing into the cup. Yea, I mean every word of that. Then, you get to walk thru a crowded hall of people with your piss held high over your head so that it is in sight at all times.

So, not only are you treated like shit, you're treated like a damned criminal/drug addict. Sounds pleasant, right?

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It is covered, we are just so backlogged (at least in the Army) there is a long waiting list.  Plus, there is a stigma with soldiers (especially male) about doing counseling that it's hard to get them in.

Quoting gracieb3:

I think it's well known the military can do all of this. However I think the military should require counseling and cover it all so that the men/women enter and exit with excellent mental health. 

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I wondered if there have been any studies done about whether more soldiers are hurt stateside or on missions.  I'm not talking about war, because clearly injuries/death increase.  I'm talking more about humanitarian missions, tdy's, OCONUS training missions etc.

The reason being is I too hurt my back and feet stateside as well and I'm a disabled VET, but not from wartime missions.

Quoting bluespagan:

I am a veteran who is 90% disabled through the VA.

I knew what I was getting into.  I just never expected to get hurt the way I did.  I was hurt doing my job stateside.  An electrical panel blew up in my face.  I have neuropathy of my hands, scars, PTSD and about 6 other problems listed.

I think that recruiters need to make people aware that it isn't all roses and lollipops.  I think that when you give people all the "free school, see the world, have a stable job, get experience" so on and so forth it sets them up to think about only the good and forget about the bad. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

:(- My son is soon to be a college SR- He has already spoken to 2 military recruiters re OCS. 

I have 6 mos to talk and try to redirect, while at the same time being supportive. (a very fine line).

The long term effects are frightening.

LucyHarper
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I think that anyone who joins the military understands that those are a risk and if they don't, then they really shouldn't have gotten past the intelligence part of enlisting. 

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Not everyone has military connections and knows all that. My DH went to basic with a guy that they told him he could keep his dreads when he enlisted.  So imagine his surprise when he got to basic and they were cutting off people's hair. He didn't know and trusted his recruiter. So if you are in a high military place then yea you know already but if you live somewhere where there's no base and just that random recruiting station then you won't know. I personally didn't join because I caught my recruiter in a lie. It was such an innocent one that it could have easily been true and I had a bunch of retired/active military members that I could fact check against. Most of them didn't catch it. Lucky for me, he talked too much and stuck his foot in his mouth. For many it's a real shock when they get to training. They also need to warn against private abuse. My MIL has had a few privates come out of basic screwed up and came to find out their drill sgt in basic were sick fucks that abused their privates from anything to locking them in basements with nothing for days at a time to beating the crap out them and counseling them when they had enough and fought back. So some warnings and letting them know their rights, what to expect, what to look out for wouldn't hurt. IMO

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Listen, I am not saying its peaches, never did I say that. I am just saying if you pay attention they tell you they will treat you that way. If you even just listen to the people around you, even no military, you would know that. Its no secrete. People who go in blind did so purposefully IMO. My DH has been in 6 years, he knew all this would happen and so did I when he enlisted out of high school. Most of my family and friends are military and all knew this would be it as well.

In fact, when they used to come recruit at high school during lunch hour, many a person said don't talk to me, I don't want to be treated like property. Kids at 16 knew that, it is common knowledge IMO. I mean, what did you think it would be? They train you for war, they make you a "killer", they "turn mice into real men" ect ect ect.

I'm sorry you don't like it or were unsure of what it would be like. I really am. I don't want anyone to feel poorly about what they have to do each day. That is sad, I realize that. But I just don't understand what you thought you were getting into. I almost enlisted my self and though I already knew they told me flat out at the station what it would be like. My family care plan fell through so obviously I never got to finally sign. 

Again, I am sorry its not for you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

They warn you of that too, and even let you know that a contract with them binds you to them and nbot them to you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

How would you like to wake up a 5am to go rolling around in deer shit? Not only in deer shit, but as it was early morning, the fog was out so it was all still nice, fresh, and moist. That's where they made us do our physical training. Yea, we could have gone somewhere else, but it amused them.

Here's another. Random piss testing. Sounds normal, right? Yea...have a seargent follow you into the bathroom. You pick a stall and be sure that while you're peeing to keep your legs spead wide so that they can actually see you seeing into the cup. Yea, I mean every word of that. Then, you get to walk thru a crowded hall of people with your piss held high over your head so that it is in sight at all times.

So, not only are you treated like shit, you're treated like a damned criminal/drug addict. Sounds pleasant, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN