Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Military Enrollment Come with a Warning?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should the posters/recruitment centers for the military have warnings on them like cigarettes do?  Should the posters read, "Warning! Joining the military may cause partial/permanent mental and physical disability with possibility of death and other adverse health problems"   my dh and others who are vets were talking about this....

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Replies (41-50):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure those enlisting already are aware of the risks....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Didn't think of that. I hope they wouldn't do that though. I think my husband would lose his mind if they tell him he won't get his disability for jumping because they "warned" him. As it is the way they treat vets in many situations is already a turn off from the military.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Well, if anyone bothered to read the contracts they sign, it isn't a "big secret".  Where exactly would that warning go, on the window of the recruitment center?

I so would laugh if they had that fast talking person who is in all the car commercials who in literally 8 seconds reverbs all the contractual information at the end of the commercial.  Imagine that with a military commercial.

I suppose it could be done, but honestly don't think it would make much of a difference and would make it more difficult (in my opninion) for vets to collect benefits.  I could totally see the military going "but we warned you".  It's hard enough already to get vets their benefits. 

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Damn girlfriend you make me miss the Army.  I use to be the urinalysis NCO for 3 years.  At least you didn't have to carry 30 containers of urine around all day, sitting on your desk until you could turn it in.  I wouldnt mind carrying around containers of urine. At least, you didn't have to be up and at the office 2 hours before everyone else Actually, we got up at least 2 hours before we had to be there just to sit in line so that we'd have an early spot and time enough afterwards, hopefully, to be able to eat before class. prepping everything and then getting bitched out 100 times over because people were "too tired" to come in. 

Loved it, loved PT, although we didn't do it until 630 am. I loved PT too. My complaint is not about pt itself. It was the location. And I didn't mean we were made to step in deer shit. So what. I'm not that delicate. We were made to roll around it in, meneuvers/etc. We had to lay in it to do sit-ups.  Never encountered deer shit, but stepped in whataI am sure was bear shit a few times.  Son of a mother puss bucket, I wish I was still in. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

They warn you of that too, and even let you know that a contract with them binds you to them and nbot them to you.

Quoting jehosoba84:

No, they should know the risks. What they SHOULD warn you about, in detail, is how you're going to be treated as a piece of property rather than a person for the next 4-6 years. I HATE the military.

How would you like to wake up a 5am to go rolling around in deer shit? Not only in deer shit, but as it was early morning, the fog was out so it was all still nice, fresh, and moist. That's where they made us do our physical training. Yea, we could have gone somewhere else, but it amused them.

Here's another. Random piss testing. Sounds normal, right? Yea...have a seargent follow you into the bathroom. You pick a stall and be sure that while you're peeing to keep your legs spead wide so that they can actually see you seeing into the cup. Yea, I mean every word of that. Then, you get to walk thru a crowded hall of people with your piss held high over your head so that it is in sight at all times.

So, not only are you treated like shit, you're treated like a damned criminal/drug addict. Sounds pleasant, right?

Elle.tea.22
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Not all of us are screwed upside the head :) Frankly wost thing that's happened to me is falling off a loading dock while pregnant (a day ago thank you very much), getting off my ass and having to answer phones till my doctor picked up, meeting him at the hospital an hour later and now my legs in a cast. Worse than that? Having my head cracked open by one of my sgts cause I was being an idiot when I was an e3. Worse than that? BCT, my Drill sgts picking me up by the neck and nobody who saw it happen said or did anything. I replayed the scenario in my head over and over and I did nothing to deserve it, he was out of line, I was humiliated, and if I could go back I would assault him. But I didn't at the time and instead nervously taped out and cried my eyes out the rest of the night. All of this has made me a harder person.

I take it back, I am screwed up in the head :P but no warning label, the surprise is part of the experience.
dancer
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

yes,they should!!

Lizzys_mommy13
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

They kinda do. If you don't know that going in, then you need to step back and think a bit. They have you make out a will, set beneficiaries in case of your death and there are several other steps you go through in case of death or injury. There are warnings all over about PTSD as well as information on wounded warriors. If you think joining the military and going to war is going to keep you safe, your nuts. 

KC33
by Kim on May. 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I'm pretty sure anyone pursuing a career where you are trained to carry a weapon  already knows about the risks upfront.

anime.princess
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

When I signed my contract back in 2009, it clearly said that death is a posibility.  Also, the people who are discharged due to medical conditions are usually medically retired from the service and are entitled to receive pay and benefits and sometimes for life.  

wickedfiress
by Kellie on May. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

The jobs risks assosiated with joining the military, being a police officer, or being a fire fighter, aren't exactly "unknown." 

Allebas
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

EXACTLY!!!

Quoting UpSheRises:

No. If you're too dumb to know that being a soldier could do seriuos, permanent damage to your life then you ought not join.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)