Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kansas lawmakers pass ‘Sharia’ law bill

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM
  • 227 Replies

A bill that would ban the use of foreign legal codes in Kansas courts — broadly written but particularly aimed at Islamic “Sharia” law — is on its way to the governor.

The 33-3 Senate vote came after a long and at times emotional debate Friday.

Opponents, including two senators who signed the committee report to bring the bill to the Senate floor, called it intolerant and unnecessary.

Proponents fired back that the bill would protect the U.S. and Kansas constitutions and prevent the use of foreign law to take away fundamental rights enjoyed in American courts.

Sen. Tim Owens, an Overland Park Republican who is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, apologized for putting the Senate in the position of having to vote on the bill, which passed the House 120-0 earlier in the week.

“This is one where I made some mistakes. The first one was signing the conference report,” he said.

Emphasizing that he is a Christian, Owens said: “I think this bill will set Kansas out as a place not to go if you believe any other way than particularly a very small religious-right perspective. … This country is based on freedom. And it isn’t ‘You can only be free if you think like me.’”

Sen. Ty Masterson, an Andover Republican, supported the bill. Of opponents’ comments, he said: “I almost think they’re outrageous. Not only have we had a stretch of the truth, we’ve had a stretch of the rules. We don’t have any intolerance in this bill. Nobody’s stripped of their freedom of religion. This is talking about the law — American law, American courts.”

Sen. Susan Wagle, a Wichita Republican, argued that Sharia law itself is intolerant.

“They stone women to death in countries that have Sharia law,” she said.

Republican Sen. Chris Steineger of Kansas City, Kan., said the bill is obviously directed at Muslims.

He said he was first approached about the bill in January. The original pitch wasn’t about protecting the Constitution but that Muslims were trying to use Sharia law to take over the United States and had to be stopped.

“I thought that was quite ludicrous at the time, and I still do,” he said. “This (bill) doesn’t say Sharia law, but that’s how it was marketed back in January and all session long, and I have all the emails to prove it.”

Both the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the National Conference of State Legislatures say anti-Sharia proposals have been considered in 20 states, including Kansas. Oklahoma voters approved a ballot initiative in 2010 that specifically mentioned Sharia law, but both a federal judge and a federal appeals court blocked it.

source

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/11/3607044/kansas-lawmakers-pass-bill-that.html#storylink=cpy

by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arwyn724
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM
9 moms liked this

"Foreign legal codes in American courts"  Why should this even be a question?  American court system, American law.  Break the law in any other foreign country and see if your trial (if you get a trial) will be conducted using American law.  Chances are, no.

_Kissy_
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM
15 moms liked this
Now if we can ban christian law all would be great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM
8 moms liked this
Why don't they address the Christian religion being pushed into laws-which is an actual problem?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM
12 moms liked this

I don't know the details of what this bill is trying to say but I think it's pretty stupid to write a law saying you can't break the law. That's pretty much understood, isn't it?  lol.

The second thing I wanted to say is that ONCE AGAIN,  the idiots marketing and passing these bills against Sharia have no understanding about what it actually is.  Muslims taking over the US by using Sharia law?  What does that even mean?  Will they be praying away the current laws?  

And of course the obligatory woman-stoning that so many people love to say is "Sharia Law."  As they they have one iota of understanding about what the word even means.  

Sorry, Candle, you have proven that your understanding of the matter is negligible repeatedly.  Just like these yahoos in Topeka.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

Now if we can ban christian law all would be great

So then you agree Sharia law has no place in US courts?

LoveMyLilPeople
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Good!

LoveMyLilPeople
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Arwyn724:

"Foriegn legal codes in American courts"  Why should this even be a question?  American court system, American law.  Break the law in any other foreign country and see if your trial (if you get a trial) will be conducted using American law.  Chances are, no.

Because Sharia law has been imposed on many democratic countries.  In an effort to be tolerant they have allowed to boundaries of democracy to be pushed beyond its limits in places like England, France, Holland, Denmark....

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Not seeing why this is necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

What a waste of time and money.  In this country following Sharia law is a choice.  Using the Sharia system is a choice.  They are not pulling random citizens into "sharia court" and trying them.  SMH

It mentions that it's broadly written, I wonder if that will affect Beth Din too.

Kansas looks more and more inhospitable every day.  I'm glad my family got out when it did.  

~I ain't happy but, I'm feeling glad I got sunshine, in a bag I'm useless, but not for long The future is coming on~

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM
These are the same idiots that passed the most restrictive abortion legislation ever.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I don't know the details of what this bill is trying to say but I think it's pretty stupid to write a law saying you can't break the law. That's pretty much understood, isn't it?  lol.

The second thing I wanted to say is that ONCE AGAIN,  the idiots marketing and passing these bills against Sharia have no understanding about what it actually is.  Muslims taking over the US by using Sharia law?  What does that even mean?  Will they be praying away the current laws?  lol

And of course the obligatory woman-stoning that so many people love to say is "Sharia Law."  As they they have one iota of understanding about what the word even means.  lol

Sorry, Candle, you have proven that your understanding of the matter is negligible repeatedly.  Just like these yahoos in Topeka.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN