Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ahhhh, so I am not Crazy "he" did flip flop" on gay marriage.

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

Kirsten Powers: Obama’s ‘Flip Flop’ On Gay Marriage ‘Less Evolution, More Intelligent Design’

video

» 6 comments

On Saturday’s Fox News Watch, Daily Beast columnist Kirsten Powers took President Obama to task over characterizing his shifting views on same-sex marriage as an “evolution.” Anchor Jon Scott asked Powers why Obama got away with being called flip flopper.

RELATED: Piers Morgan Confronts David Axelrod About Obama’s ‘Evolution’ On Gay Marriage

“Well it is a flip flop,” Powers acknowledged. “Of course it is, and I think that they treat it when Romney changes his opinion on abortion, for example, which I think he would say is evolving, they call it a flip flop and see it as this craven move. And when Obama switches his position twice, which really hardly anybody, if anyone even referred to the fact that he used to support it in 1996, and pretty, in a very craven way switched his position. And you know, somebody said this is less evolution and more intelligent design.”

Co-panelist Cal Thomas was amused by Powers’ turn-of-phrase. “Very good,” Thomas chuckled.

“This is not just some accidental thing that happened,” Powers affirmed.

Powers is not the first political observer to refer to Obama’s “evolution” as a “flip flop”:

PolitiFact also called President Obama out for “flip flopping” last week, saying he “was in favor of same-sex marriage before he was against it — and before he was for it again.”

Obama, a consistent supporter of civil rights for gay couples, nevertheless said as early as 2004 and through 2008 that he didn’t support same-sex marriage. He had written that he believed “that American society can choose to carve out a special place for the union of a man and a woman.” In 2010, he said he wasn’t prepared to reverse himself. This week, the president said he thinks same-sex couples should be able to get married. On the Flip-O-Meter, he earns a Full Flop.

(h/t Newsbusters)

by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Nice to see that I am not losing my mind.....

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Flip flop, evolution, simple change of mind.  Who cares?  He came out with the best conclusion for the LGBT community.  Don't really care what you call it. 

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

....all in the name for the mighty vote.

Quoting Elkamelka:

Flip flop, evolution, simple change of mind.  Who cares?  He came out with the best conclusion for the LGBT community.  Don't really care what you call it. 

Ronique1989
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Someone needs to further their research. Years ago Obama stated that he did not agree nor support the lifestyle of the LGBT community. HOWEVER, he believed that CIVIL RIGHTS should come first. Which is true. And I wish more people would see the bigger picture. I, for one, don't agree with the lgbt lifestyle, but I wholeheartedly support their right to marry. I also believe they should have had this right ages ago. And that just because I, and millions of others don't agree with the lifestyle, DOES NOT mean that they should be denied the civil right to marry. The only thing I disagree with concerning Obama is that 1. He waited until election year to endorse same sex marriage. 2. It took a lesson from his daughters before making the statement.

Btw, anyone who thinks that any politician these days gives two shits about us is a retard. All politicians are in someone's pocket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Yes, he flipped. He met people and changed. It is strange that he did announce it close to election time. However, I hope he chooses to continue to support the LGBT community if he wins or loses. 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

OH GOSH, I'm not crazy either!  Because nobody beats Romney in this arena! 

Are you looking for an abortion flip flop?  Mitt's got one!  A big one!  In a debate during his 1994 race against Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy, Romney said, "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country." Referring to the 1973 Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal in every state, Romney added, "I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, it should be sustained and supported. And I sustain and support that law and support the right of a woman to make that choice."  Later, in his 2002 campaign for governor, Romney said during a debate, "I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard."  That was good when he was pandering to a Massachussets electorate.  But now that he has to align himself with a more conservative base?  In June of 2011, in an op-ed in the National Review, he declares "I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. I support the reversal of Roe v. Wade, because it is bad law and bad medicine. Roe was a misguided ruling that was a result of a small group of activist federal judges legislating from the bench. I support the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. And as president, I will support efforts to prohibit federal funding for any organization like Planned Parenthood, which primarily performs abortions or offers abortion-related services."  FLIP!

How about healthcare?  Romney does not disappoint!  Referring in 2007 during a GOP debate to his health care plan that was the basis for Obamacare, Romney proudly gushed "I LOVE it!  It's a fabulous program and I'm delighted with the fact that we, in our state, worked together across the aisle, Republicans and Democrats, to find a way to get health care for all of our citizens that's affordable and that's portable."  Of course now, especially after Tea Party activists denounced his plan as "ObamneyCare," he has nevertheless tried to rip Obama on this when its for all practical purposes the same plan!  FLOP!

Climate change?  You bet!  Recently, and I mean as recently as June 2011, Romney stated "I believe that humans do contribute to climate change."  As soon as that was ripped apart by his more conservative GOP brethren, on October 27, 2011, he changed his mind and said "We don't know what's causing climate change on this planet."  That's weird, because five months earlier you said humans did contribute.  FLIP

I can go on.  I haven't even gotten to Libya and the debt ceiling, just to name a few, but its Mother's Day and I'm going to treat my mom.  

By the way, PolitiFact has referred to Romney as a "well-lubricated weathervane" on the issue of flip-flopping, and he is literally all over it.  If you want to open up that Pandora's Box, oh, please feel free! 

(edited for typo)

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Of course he flip flopped. He's less interested in social justice and more interested in getting elected. I wonder when the LGBT community will quit allowing politicians to use them as a tool?

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

In 1996, Obama came out in favor of gay marriage.

In 2008, Obama came out in favor of traditional marriage.

In 2012, Obama come out in favor of gay marriage.

What do all these dates have in common? Election years.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Are you looking for an abortion flip flop?  Mitt's got one!  A big one!  In a debate during his 1994 race against Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy, Romney said, "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country." Referring to the 1973 Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal in every state, Romney added, "I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, it should be sustained and supported. And I sustain and support that law and support the right of a woman to make that choice."  Later, in his 2002 campaign for governor, Romney said during a debate, "I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard."  That was good when he was pandering to a Massachussets electorate.  But now that he has to align himself with a more conservative base?  In June of 2011, in an op-ed in the National Review, he declares "I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. I support the reversal of Roe v. Wade, because it is bad law and bad medicine. Roe was a misguided ruling that was a result of a small group of activist federal judges legislating from the bench. I support the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. And as president, I will support efforts to prohibit federal funding for any organization like Planned Parenthood, which primarily performs abortions or offers abortion-related services."  FLIP!

How about healthcare?  Romney does not disappoint!  Referring in 2007 during a GOP debate to his health care plan that was the basis for Obamacare, Romney proudly gushed "I LOVE it!  It's a fabulous program and I'm delighted with the fact that we, in our state, worked together across the aisle, Republicans and Democrats, to find a way to get health care for all of our citizens that's affordable and that's portable."  Of course now, especially after Tea Party activists denounced his plan as "ObamneyCare," he has nevertheless tried to rip Obama on this when its for all practical purposes the same plan!  FLOP!

Climate change?  You bet!  Recently, and I mean as recently as June 2011, Romney stated "I believe that humans do contribute to climate change."  As soon as that was ripped apart by his more conservative GOP brethren, on October 27, 2011, he changed his mind and said "We don't know what's causing climate change on this planet."  That's weird, because five months earlier you said humans did contribute.  FLIP

I can go on.  I haven't even gotten to Libya and the debt ceiling, just to name a few, but its Mother's Day and I'm going to treat my mom.  

By the way, PolitiFact has referred to Romney as a "well-lubricated weathervane" on the issue of flip-flopping, and he is literally all over it.  If you want to open up that Pandora's Box, oh, please feel free! 

(edited for typo)

quotes Eilish likes

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

G.K. Chesterton

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Seriously, don't quote my post if you're not going to address its contents.  I interrupted my lunch for this? 

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting shannonnigans:

(edited for typo)

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

crying

Quoting shannonnigans:

Seriously, don't quote my post if you're not going to address its contents.  I interrupted my lunch for this? 

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting shannonnigans:

(edited for typo)

quotes Eilish likes

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

G.K. Chesterton

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)