Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is it sexist

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 15 Replies

To accept the differences between the sexes?

I used to work very hard, I humped shingles up a ladder and I think I should make as much as a man if I can do the work.  However, even as a tough strong young woman i was never as physically strong as my male counterparts.

Am I a sexist because I admit that?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

No.

No more so than I'm 'whatever-ist' to know that I'm physically stronger, more flexible and taller than my nephew, who at 5'2", and 30, is a little elfin creature who I can lift and squat more than a dozen times with ease. He most certainly cannot do the same back.

MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think that's sexist at all, OP. I'm like you - I've worked my ass off (when both jobs I had fired me b/c "my pregnancy was a liability" to them, I went and did siding & flooring with my husband. during Louisiana summer), and I am stronger than most other women out there, but I KNOW I'm not as strong as my male counterparts either. I'm just willing to admit it... But that doesn't stop me from exercising and trying to catch up to 'em anyway! LoL

Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Its sexist to assume you are automatically not as strong as ALL men.  Now you are assuming that all men are stronger than you and putting a generalization of a certain sex.  For example, I know I am stronger than some men (I work out almost every day and routinly inpress guys with my strength) but I know there are men that are stronger than me. Its sexist to assume that because I'm a female I can not hold my own on a work trip to another state, or that I am less capable to do math.  It is not sexist to say that my husband has more upper arm strength than me and he is willing to do a lot of the yard work around the house because of this. This would not be true of all men; just my husband.

To say that NO man should get financial help because ALL men are better capable of taking care of themselves than ALL women would be sexist.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

No it is not sexist to face facts.  Men are stronger and have more muscle mass than most women. 

survivorinohio
by René on May. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ok  to clarify.  I said than my male counterparts, meaning on the roof.  I was not stronger than any of the male roofers.

This was a spin off and the other topic is better left in that thread.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Its sexist to assume you are automatically not as strong as ALL men.  Now you are assuming that all men are stronger than you and putting a generalization of a certain sex.  For example, I know I am stronger than some men (I work out almost every day and routinly inpress guys with my strength) but I know there are men that are stronger than me. Its sexist to assume that because I'm a female I can not hold my own on a work trip to another state, or that I am less capable to do math.  It is not sexist to say that my husband has more upper arm strength than me and he is willing to do a lot of the yard work around the house because of this. This would not be true of all men; just my husband.

To say that NO man should get financial help because ALL men are better capable of taking care of themselves than ALL women would be sexist.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

If you are referring to specific individuals...then no. If you personally know everyone of whom you are speaking and specifiying a trait that they all have, then its not sexist at all. If you make at statement like that and you can't provide proof that it would be true for every single person you are putting in that group, thats a different story.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Ok  to clarify.  I said than my male counterparts, meaning on the roof.  I was not stronger than any of the male roofers.

This was a spin off and the other topic is better left in that thread.

Quoting Nighttiger:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think it sexist to admit that your male counterparts were physically stronger. In such a position paying the strongest / most effective person a higher wage is reasonable. In a widget factory where physical strength is not an asset, and where Worker A is equally productive as Worker B, paying one more because they have a penis is ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Nope...now if.you were saying all men are stronger, that would be sexist. I am a lot.stronger.than many of my female peers, and stronger.than some of my male peers...but there are more men stronger than me than women...just because physically they were designed that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Nope

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

No, you're honest. Women and men ARE NOT equal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)