Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 44 Replies

One of my former colleagues posted a photo of some of her students on a recent school trip. On this photo she made her own captions. The captions are derogatory. One of the captions stated, "I make being stupid look easy." Her students are in the 6th & 7th grade.

I sent her a private message and suggested that was inappropriate and that she should remove the pic.

She went off on me an told me that her FB page was set to private and that 'no one' would see it to be offended. As in, the kids or their parents. I'm offended and pissed off.

What would you do?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on May. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Try to express my anger at the offense with as much empathy and diplomacy as I could and if she were unwilling to communicate in a civilized manner I would defriend her.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting survivorinohio:

Try to express my anger at the offense with as much empathy and diplomacy as I could and if she were unwilling to communicate in a civilized manner I would defriend her.

If that were a photo of my kid I would be livid.

I should mention she doesn't have any children.

Unfriending her is the least of my concern.

newmom2be08
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

You brought it to her attention that it is inappropriate, but it sounds like she wasn't very open to your comment.  I don't think there is much more you can do, unfortunately.   Hopefully she will think about what you said and she will remove it soon. 

survivorinohio
by René on May. 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting survivorinohio:

If that were a photo of my kid I would be livid.

I should mention she doesn't have any children.

Unfriending her is the least of my concern.

I would be pissed too.  Her not having kids may be relevant but its no excuse.

I hear you, unfriending her will not solve anything.  I just wouldnt be offended by her callous behavior again.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM

And we wonder why kids are mean and inconsiderate to each other?

Do you think she hides these kind of thoughts (well) in her day to day dealings with the kids?

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on May. 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM
That's horrible. Im not sure what I would do, but I would probably do something that would end up ending the friendship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I'd be upset too.  I guess you have to decide how far you want to take it.  Do you want to keep it between the two of you, or bring it up to the school's higher ups...

punky3175
by Punky on May. 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm with you.  Maybe asking her "Say these pictures were leaked, maybe another friend screenshots them and shares them with the parents of these kids - would it be worth losing your job over?" 

I would be absolutely livid and probably demand her termination as a parent.  As a friend should would be defriended on FB and IRL.

Quoting krysstizzle:

That's horrible. Im not sure what I would do, but I would probably do something that would end up ending the friendship.

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not a huge Facebook fan - i have it, but dont really use it that much - to begin with, so perhaps I'm not the best person to speak, but i have a problem with pix of my kids being posted at all, caption or no caption, public OR private , without my permission. I'd say this if it were a relative, let alone a teacher. So yeah, I think your colleague is way off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
worwalkerlds
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Did you screen grab the photo and comments?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured