Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why White America?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM
  • 167 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just don't understand why so many white Americans (not saying all) are so quick and head set on claiming that prejudice/racism/hate crimes do not happen to African Americans?

What I see is white folk (I'm white btw) who for whatever reason are tired of hearing about black issues in America. Who live in this delusional world that racism isn't really happening or isn't really that bad. And they always take this assumed position that anytime a claim is made that something is racist, etc... and the victim is black that they feel the need to defend the perpetrator. So many people are not even open to the idea of racially motivated crimes and discrimination against African Americans. Prime example just last night in debate on my fb page about the Travon/Zimmerman case my XMIL who came in guns drawn about defending Zimmerman admits that she doesn't know much nor has been following this case. It's just another example of someone unable to see racism that happens to African Americans b/c they don't won't to, not b/c it ain't there.

But I struggle with understanding where it comes from. I mean I can sorta understand b/c I grew in that environment that teaches ones that things really aren't that bad and teaches whites that everyone else just likes to throw the race card. Thank God I grew up and left that ignorance behind. But I know how effective the power of suggestion and intolerant culture has on one. But I just can't understand where it all comes from. Does it still come from the Anger and hatred our white ancestors had towards African Americans, so they made any and every excuse to blame them rather than accept them as victims? I just don't get it.

Jaliyah  My video here

by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jewels5525
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

BUMP!

Tanya93
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this

yeah, I am not seeing very many white people saying it doesn't happen.

jewels5525
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Wish i had an answer myself.  I go back to people wanting so hard to believe that the bubble they live in is reality, that they will fight tooth and nail to prove it.

jewels5525
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

No, people will say yes it happens, just not in this case.  Being said for every case that come out.

Quoting Tanya93:

GraceHudson
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM
BUMP!

Tanya93
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM

And here we go

Quoting jewels5525:

No, people will say yes it happens, just not in this case.  Being said for every case that come out.

Quoting Tanya93:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Tanya93:

I think it depends a lot on your area. I think your a lot less likely to run into individuals, discussed in the OP, in more diverse areas. I think it's a lot more common in areas that are 90%+ Caucasian. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jewels5525:

Wish i had an answer myself.  I go back to people wanting so hard to believe that the bubble they live in is reality, that they will fight tooth and nail to prove it.

Exactly. I mean like with this Travon thing. What bothers me isn't that people need more evidence or trail evidence. It's that so many people are so willing to assume the role of it "It can't be b/c of his race". It says alot when a person can't see that Race may actually be relevant even if they are unsure.

Jaliyah  My video here

Tanya93
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Which is the life I live in.   And most of them are Republicans.   Like I said, I am not seeing very many white people doing it.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Tanya93:

I think it depends a lot on your area. I think your a lot less likely to run into individuals, discussed in the OP, in more diverse areas. I think it's a lot more common in areas that are 90%+ Caucasian. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Tanya93:

I do live in the South I undoubtedly think it matters.

Jaliyah  My video here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)