Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nine year old takes stand against Westboro Baptist Church

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM
  • 23 Replies
8 moms liked this

Josef Miles, 9, was walking with his mother near the Washburn University campus late last week when he spotted the extremist church protesting with signs about god’s hatred of homosexuals and other groups.

via Topeka Capital-Journal

Josef Miles, 9, was walking with his mother near the Washburn University campus late last week when he spotted the extremist church protesting with signs about god’s hatred of homosexuals and other groups.

His sign may have been smaller than the Westboro Baptist’s hate-spewing placards, but one Topeka boy’s counterprotest is gaining support around the world.

Josef Miles, 9, was walking with his mother near the Washburn University campus late last week when he spotted the extremist church protesting with signs about God’s hatred of homosexuals and other groups.

His mother told The Topeka Capital-Journal that he asked if he could make his own sign.

Using a small sketchpad and a pencil — contrasted with Westboro’s larger, multicolored signs — he wrote “God Hates No One.”

Miles is seen holding his sign in one photo that has started circulating the Internet. In it he wears a pair of shades next to a Westboro protest sign that reads, “God Hates Fags.”

“He’s growing up to be a fine young man,” his proud mother told the newspaper.

Miles also received praise from church groups and commenters.

“9 year old Josef Miles wins an awesome kid award,” one person posted on Twitter.

The Westboro Baptist Chuch, which is based in Topeka, often pickets public events to gain notoriety and attention.

It is not recognized by mainstrema Christian groups.

by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LCG83
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Awww good kid. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM
What a brave and awesome kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasbabies77
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Sweet kid!

Luv.My.Kidz
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Awesome kid!!!! Way to go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittybit2012
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Good for him! I think that Phelps clan is inbred anyway. God knows when you use His word to spread hate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andiemomo3
by Andie on May. 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Good kiddo. Rotten Westboro people.
dollwith4
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Right on! 

I am usually not real big on parents putting their kid out on a street corner or in front of a building with them holding a sign protesting for or against anything. For the most part, the kid has no clue what they are doing there. BUT, with this kid asking to make the sign himself and asking to stand there....again, I say right on! Very impressive! 

~When the Government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right, is of no consequence!~

caito
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

What a brave kid. I hope they didn't say anything to him. I've seen the horrible shit they spew at people who take them on.

nb34
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I want to hug him. He is a sweet kid!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)