Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Best City for Women in America? Washington, D.C

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

I really marvel at the income for women in DC.  I make quite a bit more than that (thankfully) so not sure how $37,650 a year is considered good with the cost of living here. But I will admit, I'm much happier here than I ever was in GA. 

The Best City for Women in America? Washington, D.C

By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine | Secrets to Your Success - Tue, May 15, 2012 5:10 PM EDT 

Women who live in Washington, D.C., Boston, and San Francisco have the highest levels of well-being in the United States, according to a new report. Women there earn more money and have the highest levels of education compared to their peers in 25 other major metropolitan areas.

The report,
Women's Well-Being: Ranking America's Top 25 Metro Areas, analyzed data from official government sources to determine how women in the 25 largest cities in the country fared. The cities were judged based on health indicators like life expectancy, knowledge indicators like school enrollment levels and degrees obtained, and the median earnings for their female residents. The study was done by Measure of America, a project of the Social Science Research Council.

"Countless studies focus on gender inequality -- the differences between women and men -- but few examine the disparities between different groups of women," Kristen Lewis, co-director of Measure of America, said in a statement.

Though Washington, D.C., was at the top of the list, women in San Francisco had the longest life expectancies -- 84.5 years, compared with a national average of 81.3 years. Women in Boston had the highest level of school enrollment -- 82.2 percent, compared to 78.8 percent nationwide. Minneapolis-St. Paul, and New York City rounded out the top five.

"No one part of America has a lock on well-being for women," the report points out. "The top five metro areas include at least one location from each of the four major U.S. Regions, the West, Midwest, Northeast, and South. The bottom five include major metro areas in the West, Northeast, and South."

At the bottom of the list: Pittsburgh, Tampa-St. Petersburg, Houston, San Antonio, and Riverside-San Bernadino. In lowest-ranking Riverside-San Bernadino, one out of five adult women have never completed high school, and typical female wage-earners bring home about $22,300 a year. (Women in top-ranking Washington, D.C., earn about $37,650, according to the report, which also pointed out that women tend to earn more in areas where more women are unmarried.)

While women in major metro areas are doing better than the typical American woman in general, the report pointed out,
we still have a long way to go. "By studying differences between groups of women, across race and region, patterns begin to emerge that can inform policy-making discussions and highlight areas that require resources and attention from the public and private sectors -- government, philanthropy, and academia," said Measure of America co-director Sarah Burd-Sharps.

Here's how all 25 cities rank:

1. Washington, D.C.
2. San Francisco
3. Boston
4. Minneapolis-St. Paul
5. New York
6. Seattle
7. Denver
8. Baltimore
9. San Diego
10. Philadelphia
11. Sacramento
12. Chicago
13. Los Angeles
14. Atlanta
15. Portland
16. Miami
17. Phoenix
18. Dallas-Ft. Worth
19. St. Louis
20. Detroit
21. Pittsburgh
22. Tampa-St. Petersburg
23. Houston
24. San Antonio
25. Riverside-San Bernadino

Copyright © 2012 Yahoo Inc.

http://shine.yahoo.com/secrets-to-your-success/best-city-women-america-washington-d-c-211000049.html

by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I guess "well being" is in the eye of the beholder.  You couldn't pay me to get me to live in most of the cities on that list.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I wouldn't live in DC if our income was supplimented by that 37k.

I like midwestern life.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I work in the San Francisco bay area; #2 on the list :). I make more than the average as well :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on May. 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I actually live south of DC but I do like being so close to DC so we can venture in on the weekends for all of the museums and different ethnic foods.  There is always something to do.  The biggest drawback is the traffic. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I like midwestern life.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM
If the Inland Empire is 25; then this nation is in trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:27 AM
They are last on the list but they only study 25 places, sorry misread the article.

Quoting Donna6503:

If the Inland Empire is 25; then this nation is in trouble.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Quoting punky3175:

I actually live south of DC but I do like being so close to DC so we can venture in on the weekends for all of the museums and different ethnic foods.  There is always something to do.  The biggest drawback is the traffic. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I like midwestern life.

I think most people feel there are advantages and disadvantages to where they live.

One of the perks of living where we do is the opportunity to travel to new and exciting places.

My husband and I almost moved to Virginia several years ago. The disadvantages and dislikes outweighed every advantage and perk for us.

punky3175
by Punky on May. 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.  My best friend's husband would never survive up here.  It would drive him batty.  I couldn't live much closer to DC myself without feeling everything closing in on me.  But I will admit (I swear I'm not trying to sell it) I like it more than I thought I would. My ex tried to convince me for quite a few years after our divorce to move up here and I refused (mainly because I wasn't being offered enough to survive.)  I'm a Southern girl myself and I get that vibe where I live and then can travel into DC if needed. :D  But I can't do the small southern towns - they drive me insane and I go stir crazy.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I like midwestern life.

I think most people feel there are advantages and disadvantages to where they live.

One of the perks of living where we do is the opportunity to travel to new and exciting places.

My husband and I almost moved to Virginia several years ago. The disadvantages and dislikes outweighed every advantage and perk for us.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting punky3175:

Agreed.  My best friend's husband would never survive up here.  It would drive him batty.  I couldn't live much closer to DC myself without feeling everything closing in on me.  But I will admit (I swear I'm not trying to sell it) I like it more than I thought I would. My ex tried to convince me for quite a few years after our divorce to move up here and I refused (mainly because I wasn't being offered enough to survive.)  I'm a Southern girl myself and I get that vibe where I live and then can travel into DC if needed. :D  But I can't do the small southern towns - they drive me insane and I go stir crazy.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I like midwestern life.

We live in a burb of a HUGE midwestern metropolitan city. I couldn't do small town ever again. Funny enough, just 2 miles in 3 direction of our town is desolate farm land and miles between homes.

lga1965
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I couldn't take the small southern towns either.

My hometown is #4. Yay! It is a great place to live.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I like midwestern life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)