Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I realize this isn't a current event, or a hot topic. = )

Do/have any of you ever participate(d) in a cooperative program with your children?

I am looking at pre-schools today. I really like what I've read about the cooperative schools.

My daughter has been going to a montessori school. The few times I have been there just to observe it has been completely chaotic. By chaotic I mean kids running amok and instructors seeming to have a difficult time keeping the children's attention.

Thoughts/suggestions?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Replies (21-21):
TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with NWP about Montessori in America, and about Poodles.  If you're really looking for a good Montessori environment, I would look for AMI (Association Montessori International) certified teachers and/or facilities.  It was actually started by Maria Montessori.  I'm sorry your Montessori experience wasn't good.  Many people misunderstand the philosophy, much in the way Poodles described.  

I'm sorry I don't know more about co-op preschools, OP.  Here's a bump though.

Quoting NWP:

Poodles is misinformed about Montessori...

True Montessori philosophy is actually very structured, especially compared to Waldorf or Reggio Emillia.

Montessori training is intensive and expensive, so there aren't that many teachers who really know how to administer the principles. You will find many teachers in American Montessori schools that do not have certifications. American Montessori standards leave a lot to be desired. Some are excellent, and some are as you describe.

I was part of a co-operative with my oldest. It was informal. We were a group of parents who all worked for the university and brought our individual strengths together. We all worked stations while one of the grandmothers, who was Montessori certified from Canada, spearheaded the academics..She used a mixed philosophy approach.

While it was a lot more work that dropping my kid off for a few hours, I have to say it was one of the best experiences ever. I am sorry we moved away.

~I ain't happy but, I'm feeling glad I got sunshine, in a bag I'm useless, but not for long The future is coming on~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN