Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Leaving food uneaten may cost you at some restaurants

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think? Are these retaurants justified in charging diners fines for leaving food on their plates?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

Leaving food uneaten may cost you at some restaurants

FeaturePics stock

By Jillian Eugenios

With so many choices, the buffet table can be an overwhelming place. But those who overfill their plates may have to pay with more than just their pride at some restaurants.

Kylin Buffet, a Chinese restaurant in the northeast of England, is now charging customers £20 ($32) for food wastage costs if diners leave food on their plates. According to the UK Daily Mail, the policy has upset some customers, including Beverley Clark, 40, who spoke out after being told she'd be fined when her son Sam, 10, and niece Toni, 6, allegedly left two onion rings, a piece of prawn toast and a spring roll on their plates. Clark opted to hide the leftovers in a napkin she placed in her bag so the wait staff would think the family cleaned their plates. She succeeded in hoodwinking them.

Last year, Gulfnews.com reported about a similar policy at Marmar restaurant in Dammam, Saudi Arabia. "There are many clients who make large orders in order to impress the people around them and boost their social prestige," owner Fahad Al Anezi said. The policy was aimed at reducing food wastage and extravagance, with the fine being calculated according to the quantity of the leftovers.

Paying extra for unfinished food isn't unheard of stateside. Hayashi Ya Japanese restaurant in New York City charges diners 3 percent for not finishing a meal from the all-you-can-eat buffet. Manager Belson Lin told TODAY.com he doesn't believe customers get upset by the policy, because they know they'll be charged, and have the option to order a la carte.

I birth on my Turf. Homebirthers

by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Replies (31-37):
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM
In the countries where ordering a lot of food is considered "prestigious" then I can understand the fine. If restaurants are up front about it then I can choose whether or not to go there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Not a fan of this.

Sometimes the food left on the plate is not because I could not finish it BUt because I did not like it.  It looked good but then tasted horrible.  And i do not think they are taking that into account.

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
So I've already paid for my food and I've already tipped for the bus boy... Why should I pay for leftovers.

The cost of everything is already calculated in the cost of the meal.

Restaurant/Hospitality 101
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If I knew I was going to be charged for uneaten food, I would not have a problem with it. I think it is a stupid rule, so I would choose not to eat there, problem solved. If I was not informed about the rule and/or the rule was not stated anywhere in the restaurant; I ate there and was charged for an uneaten onion ring, I would be pissed.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Personally, I wouldn't choose a restaurant that worked that (especially with the kids), so I'd hope they'd be upfront about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on May. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Silly. I would not eat there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I think I've eaten in the city once. Overpaid. The best thing I got from the city was a smoothie at the Godiva shop they had near out hotel. THAT was worth every penny.

Quoting LoriKeet:

Even when I lived in Northern NJ, I NEVER went into the city to eat...waste of money!! 

Quoting FrumpyMama:

or NYC. Lol!

Quoting LoriKeet:

I'll remember that the next time I'm dining in LONDON!! ;o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)