Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are fake service dogs really all that bad? Edit in Red

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 420 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it ever okay to train your own service dog?

Options:

Yes. I think it's okay as long as the dog is well behaved, trained and actually preforms a service.

No it's never okay. Service dogs are professionally trained for a reason and should only be given to people with diagnosed disabilities.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 140

View Results

Okay I found out some great news. Turns out it's not as difficult or expensive to Licence her dog as a working dog. She was told before that she had to go to Arizona and take her to professional trainers, and pay alot of money.

So I looked it up and I found out that In California you can you can receive your dog license in the form of the California Assistance Dog tag at no cost. You just need to fill out some paperwork and show proof of your disability. Ex, SSI statment, handicap tags, or in her case, a note from your doctor. And that's it.

My dads cousin has some serious anxiety problems. She can't work, barely leaves the house and it's only gotten worse since having the kids. Medication helps some but not enough. She's basically a hermit.

Now all that changed about a year ago when she got this little dog. She says just holding her and having her near works better than any medication she's ever had. She's not afraid to leave the house anymore. The only problem is, since her dog isn't a real service dog she's really limited where she can go. School, resturants, grocery stores, ect. They've looked into getting the dog certified but they just can't afford it. So she was considering just going online and buying a vest and some patches and passing her off as a service dog.

What do you think?

by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I would do, get a little vest for the dog to identify it as a service dog... Does anyone actually ask for certification?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I'm a softie and all, but I worry if she gets caught the dog could be taken away, or she could be in serious trouble.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any problem with it.

Tanya93
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
12 moms liked this

Your family just has endless ethical issues

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I don't think so. From what I've read all anyone can ask is, Is your dog a aservice animal and What service do they preform? After that, as long as your dog isn't posing a danger to anyone I think you're good.

Quoting JamesMom714:

That's what I would do, get a little vest for the dog to identify it as a service dog... Does anyone actually ask for certification?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I take it you voted no?

Quoting Tanya93:

Your family just has endless ethical issues

Tanya93
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I didn't vote.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM

See I thought of that too. That's the last thing she needs :-(

Quoting Euphoric:

I'm a softie and all, but I worry if she gets caught the dog could be taken away, or she could be in serious trouble.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Oh. Well I'm on pins and needles! LOL Do tell, what do you think?

Quoting Tanya93:

I didn't vote.

mysonsmom99
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Actually I heard just recently it's pretty easy to get them certified online somehow. Not sure how though.

But if she already has anxiety and she has a fake service dog it could get worse if someone asks for documentation. I'd just get the dog legally certified.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)