Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's the Difference (addiction and celebrity)

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 4:43 AM
  • 10 Replies

About an hour ago, I saw one of those fantastically sexy Fiat commercials (if youve ever driven a Fiat then you know why they're selling them with sex and not engineering). All of the sudden, I see it and I can;t believe my eyes-It's that crackhead Charlie Sheen. So, I start wondering...I think about Lindsey Lohan, who has never really been able to find work because of her issues with addiction, and I think of Whitney Houston, whom so many were infuriated at the flying of a flag at half mast for, and it makes me wonder just why in the world it's so wonderfully acceptable for Charlie Sheen to be an addict. It's as though his cocaine-induced fiascos did wonders for his career (i never found him to be terribly talented, not WHitney Houston talented at least), and yet while society condems the likes of Houston and Lohan, it seems to be applauding, rewarding even, the very public addict antics of Sheen. I'm torn of why I feel this is. The main thing I wonder about is if it because he is a man because that's an obvious guess, but I was wondering what anyone else thinks.

by on May. 19, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMBG825
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I think it's because it's a lot more amusing to watch him flip out on a hooker in his hotel room and run around screaming "Tiger Blood" than it is to see someone get hammered and crash their car into a group of people.

Sunflower7556
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I was actually shocked at how Whitney was treated in the media.  I thought they made drug addiction more glamerous than it is for our kids.  She had lost so much because of drugs.  My heart bleeds for her and her daughter, but she was not a superstar anymore at the time of her death.  I love Charlie Sheen but I do believe they need to stop using him in Hollywood until he cleans up.  Look at what it did for Robert Downing Jr.  I think he would have been dead if Hollywood had kept working with him.  

Tanya93
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Because he is funny

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
People laugh at him

I think he's worse than Whitney & Lindaay & Downey Jr combined...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I don't think people are angry at Houston, as much as they're angry at the flag being flown at half mast for a singer.

Lohan flaunted her drug addiction, in and out of court.

Charlie Sheen is himself. We laugh hysterically when he is on Two & A Half Men, so when he brings that character into real life, he's just as funny. He knows how to use his issue to make money. Lohan doesn't. And Houston hid it.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on May. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I view it in terms of the literary "hero story" being played out in the media.

The cycle generally goes something along these lines:

Person becomes great. Person becomes an arrogant jerk due to success. Person is brought low. Person becomes humble and rises to even greater heights than before.

People love the successful hero stories; those that haven't acheived the last stage aren't as loved. 

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

These are all good points. Silly as it seems, I've thought about this intermittently throughout the day since reading the collective responses this morning. One reply that mentioned 'flipping out on a hoooker" made me recall that Sheen also has a (for a lack of a better word) complex relationship with women. During the 90's it was revealed that he was one of Heidi Fleiss's biggest customers.THroughout the last 2 decades, the media has not done him any justice of portraying him as a man that treats women terribly well.  ANother esponse mentioned that he's good at being his dysfunctiona self, more or less. I likened this to RIchard Pryor's heyday during the 80's (who doesn't love crack humor??) but as much as I may love crack humor, I realize that this hyped up portrayal of the stereotypical degenerate addict, for the most part, is a satirical humor genre that most would agree is certainly better left in the past. After all, the realities of drug addiction are anything but fodder for humor. I also remembered, in remembering  Heidi Fleiss, that FLeiss was somewhat of a female version of sheen. FLeiss did not attempt to hide any real shortcomings she may have owned, and other than working for a short time as a contributor for Maxim magazine, and a stint on Celebrity Rehab I don't think she's done much since, but then again, by nature and technical designation, she was not an 'actress' by profession. There was also the arugment of the 'sinner humbly redeemed' theory, and while I do realize that that very formul almost always uarantees success, I also remember Sheen was never humbled, nor was he apologetic. WHen asked what he was doing, his reply was that he was 'winning', and as right as he turned out to be, to me, that speaks volumes to a lack of humility or remorse. One thing I kinda figured on though, is that American entertainment has has quite the love affair with the stereotypical , 'quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn', bad boy, which may explain a lot about sheen's female fans. America loves a good train wreck, but only as long as it's done with a fair degree of deft skill and panache. But all in all, with all of those things considered, I still feel it boils down to one hell of a double standard.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I don't see anyone being accepting of Sheen's antics: they rode him hard about it, at least as hard as Houston and Lohan (and Winehouse, and Downy Jr.) As it's been said though: there is no bad PR --all fame is good fame.

They've all had second and third chances: Houston blew hers, as did Winehouse. Lohan's proven she's unreliable drunk or sober, so she'll probably never get work again. Who knows, though.

Maybe it's because men who clean up stay cleaned up? 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I'm hardy a Sheen fan; however, he knows that the best strategy from a career/marketing perspective is to make fun of himself, and hey, its worked.  And I have to admit, those rants were great - I miss them! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)