Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

End of assistance

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
  • 63 Replies

Do you believe that without government assistance the standard of living would remain the same?

Do you think that without government assistance that people's incomes and levels of wealth would remain the same?

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the levels of living will change, the richer get richer, the poorer will get poorer and instead of the 'slight' changes between classes it will be like the very old days, where it was peasants and the royalties. 

With the price of living going up, the working class can barely keep up. (Depending on the area), sometimes even two incomes will not be enough. With the taxes and gas prices going up, people will end up going without gas, power and etc, even more than they do. Many people will end up fighting for it, killing for it, raping and pillaging for it, even more than they do now. 

There is a good chance that those without the education of sustaining oneself without money, will die, many families, and children will suffer because of it. The system will try to take away those children, but into what? The government often funds those types of houses and help. 

Eventually with every going up, even those with money, will not be able to afford an extra mouth to take in. They may not have the struggle that some of the working class may have, but things will eventually get tight for them too.

xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Ditto

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

I think the levels of living will change, the richer get richer, the poorer will get poorer and instead of the 'slight' changes between classes it will be like the very old days, where it was peasants and the royalties. 

With the price of living going up, the working class can barely keep up. (Depending on the area), sometimes even two incomes will not be enough. With the taxes and gas prices going up, people will end up going without gas, power and etc, even more than they do. Many people will end up fighting for it, killing for it, raping and pillaging for it, even more than they do now. 

There is a good chance that those without the education of sustaining oneself without money, will die, many families, and children will suffer because of it. The system will try to take away those children, but into what? The government often funds those types of houses and help. 

Eventually with every going up, even those with money, will not be able to afford an extra mouth to take in. They may not have the struggle that some of the working class may have, but things will eventually get tight for them too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on May. 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Do you think it will turn the classes against one another?

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Are there not people out there already, who have less, trying to take from those who have more? Sometimes it is not even more, it is something they do not have, and in this case, it would be things that most people take forgranted.

There is already a war between classes, but it will be even more pronounced if this happens. 

Quoting stormcris:

Do you think it will turn the classes against one another?

justgracie
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Some people's standard of living would improve dramatically and others would decline just as dramatically.  The middle class would suddenly find itself able to hire housekeepers and other help very cheaply thereby improving their quality of life.  The working class orlower class would suffer tremendously.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it would only make a greater divide between the rich and the poor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I think assistance should be available for everyone who needs it, but they need to have more strict rules and guidelines. There needs to be drugtesting and they need to have people who constantly check in with the families. Counselors are usually required to keep in contact with students in College and in school but instead of a yearly thing, make it monthly. 

If the family does not have a phone, or a car, the people should go out. This way if anything else is going on, any noted abused, neglected, etc, it would be picked up on sooner. 

I think those who apply for help that do not have jobs or lost jobs, they need to go to classes or be required to put in a certain amount of applications (kind of like they do for unemployment). I think that if they have income, it should be kept track of, along with their bill history. If they are making payments on a car or the type of phones they have. 

That does not mean I think they should live in shitty squalor, or anything like that, but many people do not know how to budget, and sometimes that does lead to them thinking they have to have help. And granted, because some of them are below certain lines of income, but sometimes things are do able. 

I think something like budgeting classes would help, and if a person is unemployed for so long they should be made to apply for college or school of sorts. If they are not bringing in money, they should be doing something to help themselves. 

joci2203
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM
We would need to have true capitalism and privatization.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I think classes are already turning against each other

kiaras_mommy
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I think as a country sometimes assistance is needed but I believe it should be privatized (like charities and such). The current system we have now is an EPIC fail. The government can't really do anything right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)