Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teaching my daughter how to go to Hell (a bit wordy).

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night my daughter, myself and her best friend where at the Torchlight Parade in downtown Spokane.

Several couples where walking around wearing t-shirts that read: 'Marriage = One Man and One Woman'.  They were asking people to sign a petition towards that effect.  Same sex marriages are due to be recognized in this State on June 7, 2012.

A couple came up to me, asking me if I wanted to sign.  I simply said no. The woman asked me why.  I told her I believe in every one having the same rights as the next.  She looked at me like I had two heads.

The man asked me if I am a Christian.  I answered yes.  He told me I must be mistaken.  My daughter took my hand at that moment.

I said nothing.  I was waiting for them to move on to the next.  They didn't. He proceeded to begin to tell me where I went wrong. I was polite and told him he need not preach to me.  That I am indeed aware of how right I am, with my conscience and with God.  

He looked at my daughter and her friend.  Turned to me and told me I was setting a bad example for them, that I was teaching them how to go to Hell by going against what is right and what God demands.

I stood up and was about to speak when my 12 year old daughter told him and the woman that they might want to go else where because her mother is the best Christian she knows and has taught her how to love God, respect others and be proud of who people are.  And how not to discriminate against who people are.  He told my daughter if she thought people who are gay are normal and not going to Hell she needed to be taught by a real Christian.

She started crying then and I got right in his face, nose to nose, and told him if he did not move on  he would find out just how strong my relationship with God is.

Now, you tell me, is that how God wants you (general you) to act towards others?  Seems to me they should be the ones who are ashamed and need to be taught right from wrong.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Replies (171-180):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Good for you! You should have reminded him that all sins are equal and asked him if he was worthy to be throwing stones...

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Quoting 3sillykids:

GOOD for you and GOOD for your daughter!!!! Way to stand up to those bullies! They are NOT the real Christians, no matter what they may say.

So, you're the one who gets to decide who is a real Christian or not? 

The acceptance of Christ as your saviour is what makes one a Christian---not what they believe about this or that, or where they stand on political or social issues. 

AllieCat2002
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

If you live by the bible and live by the christian you wouldn't want your child to think homosexuality is the right way to live or accept it. It says in the bible 1 man 1 woman.  I do think it was wrong of the man to confront you the way he did in front of your child.  I may not approve of homosexuality but I do not get in peoples faces and preach to them. Too each there own in what they want to believe in.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AllieCat2002:

If you live by the bible and live by the christian you wouldn't want your child to think homosexuality is the right way to live or accept it. It says in the bible 1 man 1 woman.  I do think it was wrong of the man to confront you the way he did in front of your child.  I may not approve of homosexuality but I do not get in peoples faces and preach to them. Too each there own in what they want to believe in.

Are you suggesting I am not a 'real' Christian?

Not being snarky.

My children, all three of my girls, know that every one is who they are, they are born who they are, they also discover who they are as their lives progress.  Some may take longer than others.  Those who are gay and those who are not.  People are entitled to be who they are whether others feel they are 'wrong' or not.  Jesus does not exclude.  Neither do we.

Being gay is no more wrong than being straight.  Being who you are is important, not what others feel you should be.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Luv.My.Kidz
by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
People are going way overboard with this gay lesbian stuff.... Gays and lesbians are fighting now for what blacks were fighting for....equal rights.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mellie25
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
The Bible says homosexuality is wrong. So yes, as a Christian I believe same sex marriage is wrong. But I also agree that God says love your neighbor as yourself. I do not have to agree with their lifestyle, I do have to love them though. Yes, how you were approached and berated was wrong and they should have never addressed your child. There are certainly more loving and Godly ways to address differences. I dont disagree with them, just with their approach and persistence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllieCat2002
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting mellie25:

The Bible says homosexuality is wrong. So yes, as a Christian I believe same sex marriage is wrong. But I also agree that God says love your neighbor as yourself. I do not have to agree with their lifestyle, I do have to love them though. Yes, how you were approached and berated was wrong and they should have never addressed your child. There are certainly more loving and Godly ways to address differences. I dont disagree with them, just with their approach and persistence.

I agree with you :>)

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting AllieCat2002:

Not being snarky.

My children, all three of my girls, know that every one is who they are, they are born who they are, they also discover who they are as their lives progress.  Some may take longer than others.  Those who are gay and those who are not.  People are entitled to be who they are whether others feel they are 'wrong' or not.  Jesus does not exclude.  Neither do we.

Being gay is no more wrong than being straight.  Being who you are is important, not what others feel you should be.

So then why do you fault the man who approached you for being the person he was born to be? 

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM
What cruel, insensitive, idiots.

Attacking me would be one thing, getting into this discussion with my child.....line crossed.

You handled yourself well, better than I would have, and your daughter is amazing!! You should be very proud of her, and clearly she is of you.

Good job raising a kind, compassionate well spoken, smart child!! :-)

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting AllieCat2002:

Not being snarky.

So then why do you fault the man who approached you for being the person he was born to be? 

I do not fault him for being who he is.  I fault him for assuming every one should be as he is and for the way in which he engages others, especially children, on topics he should use more tact with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN