Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Human Monogamy

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 51 Replies

Do you believe that humans are naturally monogamous beings or do you believe that humans are typically only monogamous because of societal standards? 

(Note: this is not a about whether infidelity is okay.. I'm just curious of others' opinions)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm gonna back out of this one...I get tired of always being "challenged" for my Biblical beliefs. 

God's plan, from the beginning was One Man, One Woman.  That's all I'm saying.  ;)

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on May. 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I'm gonna back out of this one...I get tired of always being "challenged" for my Biblical beliefs. 

God's plan, from the beginning was One Man, One Woman.  That's all I'm saying.  ;)

No biggy. :-)

I just saw a piece on Nightline about "swingers" and I've had people talk to me in the past about how human beings are not monogamous by our natural instincts. I can believe that to be true but at the same time I struggle with the concept of committing infidelity or being accepting of my partner committing infidelity (or both). So I was just curious. lol

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I just saw a piece on Nightline about "swingers" and I've had people talk to me in the past about how human beings are not monogamous by our natural instincts. I can believe that to be true but at the same time I struggle with the concept of committing infidelity or being accepting of my partner committing infidelity (or both). So I was just curious. lol

I don't do the "natural instincts" thing.  Too Darwiny for me.  God created us with a design, His plan was perfect until sin entered the picture and man perverted everything. 

Lovinmybabas
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM
This is an interesting question. I am curious in how everyone else feels as I have often wondered this myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on May. 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't do the "natural instincts" thing.  Too Darwiny for me.  God created us with a design, His plan was perfect until sin entered the picture and man perverted everything. 

I get where you're coming from. But even still it could make some sense in the fact that most people date more than one person before they decide they're with the "right" person, right? In a way, that could be considered as not being monogamous over one's lifespan, couldn't it? Of course, I suppose that's reaching since there isn't neccesarally sex involved in dating. I'm tired... lol

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

By societal standards.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I get where you're coming from. But even still it could make some sense in the fact that most people date more than one person before they decide they're with the "right" person, right? In a way, that could be considered as not being monogamous over one's lifespan, couldn't it? Of course, I suppose that's reaching since there isn't neccesarally sex involved in dating. I'm tired... lol

Dating is fine---I've had my share of dates...but sleeping with them all and trying them out first was not in God's plan.  Finding a good match is important, so dating is fine.  Lookie, but no touchie.  ;)

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on May. 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Dating is fine---I've had my share of dates...but sleeping with them all and trying them out first was not in God's plan.  Finding a good match is important, so dating is fine.  Lookie, but no touchie.  ;)

Like I said I was probably reaching a bit. lol 

And I just looked up the definition of monogamy and it states specifically being married to only one person and/or only having a sexual relationship with one person. So I will stop reaching. :-P

krysstizzle
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Our closest living relatives aren't monogamous, so it makes sense in my mind that humans aren't (or weren't, at least in the earlier stages of human evolution) "naturally" monogamous. There are definitely different societal norms for partnership across cultures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN