Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black or White?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM
  • 144 Replies

Hi, it's me again *smile* 

I learned some uncomfortable truths about some of the Moms I've conversed with on CM, and I've done posts designed to jump start discussions and or debates on topics about  race, from racists,racism, race cards to stereotypes, and yes there is a theme but, as I said, I am stubborn and persistent. And I TRULY feel the rift That the Martin case has brought us to, is making Moms move on or tune out. Toomanypoodles, whom I Luv, has expressed the desire to return to gentler CM times. But at this point, being assaulted almost daily by STRATIGICLLY leaked info in a case most of us feel so strongly about,regardless of their stances, and ignoring it is akin ed to trying to deny the proverbial elephant in the room,Sorry poodles!

With that being said, I have perused the posts of women I have come to respect and am.........................sad I guess! *REAL TALK* People I've talked to know how much I feel, on a personal level for the case of Zimmerman/Martin. I have been vocal and I hit as many posts as possible to discuss it. And in reading a lot of the different views their is a undercurrent of hate, bias,ignorance, naivety and from some points of view, out of touch and or woefully shelter! I have tried to engage my friends in conversations good,bad or ugly, doesn't matter,to HEAL we need to  discuss it. Without bashing, group gang ups and or name calling. I READ SOME POSTS TODAY AND WAS STRUCK, AND YES, I got to thinking (LOL). 

I am very aware of the many cultures and races in the US and in the world,but for the purposes of this discussion/debate/post and or by pass, I ask the question of the two most common and at odds, races,black and white!

I was asked why a person would reject their race, don't know of many who TRULY have, and I READ how some folks think people of color could avoid conflict if THEY changed, not the people who swear by their bias, but the victims. AND IT HAS LEAD ME TO ASK, IF YOU HAD A CHOICE WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO BE, BLACK OR WHITE?

Answer, or don't but if you do, please be truthful and explain your position.

THANK YOU!

In my Opininon No Disrespect

by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyJaidon
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't trade being Black for any other race and that is the honest truth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my1love
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM
5 moms liked this
I wouldn't care its a color it doesn't define who I am or what I do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyJaidon
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:08 AM
2 moms liked this
That too. I'm so much more than my race.

Quoting my1love:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:14 AM
2 moms liked this

i want to be pink camoflauge if i was pink camo with some black and grey and white I would have the best of all worlds. :)

BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:28 AM
4 moms liked this

I wouldn't change my race . I'm of european descent-Southern Italian, and after my cousin's geneaology studies, we actually found out that my crazy grandmother wasn't kidding one bit when she said she was of Gypsy descent. Though my grandmother had married a WASP, I think people often forget that it wasn;t all that long ago that unless you were born into Anglo-Saxon whiteness, you were very much considered a second class immigrant, or descendent thereof...

That all being said, I also had a diverse childhood (this translates into I grew up in the hood, with addict parents, running the streets from a very young age). One of the strangest experiences I encountered once moving to the 'burbs in my teens was that I do believe for the most part, many suburban born and bred folks just don't have any real exposure to different races, and what they do get is all the crap on the 'non-news' that speaks only of brown skinned people when they have committed a crime...

I moved to the suburbs and there were no brown people. I moved to the country, and there's not really any here, either. On top of that, I'm often questioned about my ethnicity because, as people say, they don't 'get' any 'dark' people around here. I'd like to tell them that I've never seen so many hideously pastey-white people that seem to have just awful genetics, but I'm kinda scared...Lynchings were still fairly acceptable here until the late 60's.

mummy1990
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I was born white. But I guess you could say I'm one of those people that reject their race? I grew up with mexicans, my friends were all mexican, my husband is mexican, I'm closer with his family waaay more than I have ever been with mine. I do not identify as white, because in all honesty I am mexican. 

Now, that being said, from a mexicans point of view, white people, aren't all that bad, yeah in some places there is terrible racism towards people of color, but where I live, if you're white, you get called white trash, just for walking on the street. My friend, who is white, almost got pitbulls sent on her because she walked in the wrong neighborhood. The black people where I live, ( don't misunderstand me, I said where I live, not everywhere) are assholes. I do have a few black friends, and they would totally agree that people are ignorant here. The black people here, aren't accepting of anyone, doesn't matter, if you're not black, they hate you, on sight. The way they act here, has made me cautious of black people elsewhere, it wasn't the white man that made me cautious, it was black people. When I say cautious, I don't mean scared, or that I hate them, I'm just on guard with other black people. 

If I had to choose between white or black, I choose mexican. lol. 

Although black people have some absolutely beautiful skin, if thats the kind of response you're after. Like what color would you rather be, I'd probably go with really dark black. But if its a cultural thing, mexican all the way.

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Me either, There is a prevailing theory from the 60s I think, that we wish we would of, could of, been white. But I can honestly said I don't feel like that! This is not like homosexuality where 9 times out of 10,in the beginning you rage against it. It is who I am, it just doesn't define me. I am proud of me and I wish society would catch the fu@@ up!

Quoting MyJaidon:

I wouldn't trade being Black for any other race and that is the honest truth.

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

EAXCTLY! As long as you are true to you, and happy with whom you are!bow down

Quoting my1love:

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this

And so much because of your race!hugs

Quoting MyJaidon:

That too. I'm so much more than my race.

Quoting my1love:

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this

And be beautiful too!good

Quoting opinionatedmom:

i want to be pink camoflauge if i was pink camo with some black and grey and white I would have the best of all worlds. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)