Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Miley Cyrus: "Sex Is a Beautiful, Magical Thing"

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:44 AM
  • 56 Replies
When it comes to Miley Cyrus, nothing is off-limits.

When the 19-year-old appeared on Lifetime's The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet Thursday, Cyrus explained why having frank discussions about sex shouldn't be considered taboo.

"Girls who base how much they're worth on the sexual favors they can do for somebody, that makes me really sad," Cyrus said. "Because sex is actually really beautiful."

She added: "It's the only way that we create and it's the only way that the world keep going. It's ignorant to not talk to your kids about it or make it seem like it's not as cool or magical as it actually is. If [kids] have a TV, they know what sex is. Everyone knows, so educate them."

"Let them know that they wouldn't be here without it, and it is a beautiful thing, and it is magic, and it is when you connect with somebody and it isn't how much your worth," Cyrus continued. "Your worth isn't based on that. Your worth is based on how you feel about yourself."

Cyrus -- who's been dating Liam Hemsworth, 22, since 2009 -- also shared some advice for young girls hoping to build their self-esteem.

"Just be who you are, and that is where your style will come from, and your attitude, and your spirituality, and your sexuality," she said. "Because it's coming from a place of love."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2012 at 3:45 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Thought she took a vow of chastity until marriage.

And she's sending the wrong message. Sex in and of itself is not 'magickal' and 'wonderful'. It has the potential to be when all the right emotions and connections are there, but that can be very rare. My fear is girls are gonna start having sex cuz Miley said it was 'magickal.'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2012 at 4:26 AM
Yeah back when she was on disney lol. But I think she meant it like its not a bad thing that its only natural and you shouldnt feel ashamed about it and the way you feel.

Quoting punky3175:

And she's sending the wrong message. Sex in and of itself is not 'magickal' and 'wonderful'. It has the potential to be when all the right emotions and connections are there, but that can be very rare. My fear is girls are gonna start having sex cuz Miley said it was 'magickal.'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah but 13, 14, 15 year old girls aren't going to understand that. They are only going to hear wha she said. Thankfully my 15 yo DD can think for herself and does what she wants but many many can't.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Yeah back when she was on disney lol. But I think she meant it like its not a bad thing that its only natural and you shouldnt feel ashamed about it and the way you feel.

Quoting punky3175:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amyinthesky
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:53 AM
5 moms liked this

So do what she siad and educate them/

Quoting punky3175:

Yeah but 13, 14, 15 year old girls aren't going to understand that. They are only going to hear wha she said. Thankfully my 15 yo DD can think for herself and does what she wants but many many can't.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting punky3175:

punky3175
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:54 AM
My daughter is educated.

Quoting Amyinthesky:

So do what she siad and educate them/

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting punky3175:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Singlemominit
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Miley is a grown adult now, she can say what she wants, especially on adult topics. Shes not really a disney star anymore, nor do I think she wants to be known as that either. Its better than a message of 'men only want you if you put out' like a lot of celebs seem to show

In the words of Marilyn Monroe “Sex is part of nature. I go along with nature.” 

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2012 at 6:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Do younger teen girls care about Miley anymore, now that she's not a Disney princess? 

I think she's trying to separate herself from her Disney image.  I do appreciate that she's telling girls to become educated about sex and that not being a virgin doesn't diminish their value, and maybe these points reflect the struggles she's had personally.  Wish she'd been a little more heavy on the education aspect of it, though.   

kleea1969
by Kristine on May. 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I kind of agree with her. When I have sex talks with my girls I kind of say the same thing. Don't gage your worth on what a person can take, gage it on what YOU want to share. It can be a beautiful thing when you are truly ready and have the right person. It can be an ugly thing that leaves you feeling worthless and used if you aren't ready and with the wrong person. We have to stop acting like its ugly though kids are curious making believe its bad isn't going to stop teen stds and pregnancy. What might is good conversation, honesty, and teaching self worth. I think that's what she's saying.
kleea1969
by Kristine on May. 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting punky3175:

I don't think so she did say it comes from a place of love but I do see what you're saying. We are adults and interpret it with adult minds so yeah I can see some young girls taking it the wrong way. I really wish she elaborated on it because she has some truly good points, it just needs to be taken to a notch kids can completely understand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)