Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you trust your teenager to stay home for a week by his/herself?

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 368 Replies
1 mom liked this

My friend is going out of the country and leaving her 16 year old son home alone while she's gone. Oh, and she is leaving him a car. She initially asked her sister to stay with him while she was away. Her former sister-in-law also volunteered to keep and eye on him. Would you trust your teen in this situation?

by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I would, and have
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM
7 moms liked this

No. I think it's a bad choice. Even the most level-headed teens do stupid things.

rfurlongg
by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM
12 moms liked this
Depends on the teen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

My 15 year old son...sure, in about a year when I can be sure he could really fend for himself by driving if he needed to go somewhere.

My now 6 year old daughter, in the future, hell no.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on May. 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids are too young still, but at the rate my son is going I would say no, lol.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this

No, we never did but I don't think it is just a matter of trust---its more a safety and security move also,to have an adult stay with the teen. I am going to stay with my 16 year old grandson in August while his mom and dad go on a 5 day anniversary trip. Everyone feels better that way.

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't have teens. But I think you have to trust the child you raised. If your friend didn't think her child was responsible enough to be entrusted with his own welfare for 10 days then I don't think she would have made the arrangements that would require him to be alone. You have to know your children and their capablities. After all, at the age of 18 whether they are ready or not the world is going to deem them adults responsible for themselves; so it's best to have prepared them for that. (easier said than done LOL)

romalove
by Roma on May. 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Not with any teen under the age of 18, minors can't and shouldn't be left alone for a week.

I left my 18 year old with my 22 year old for a week when we went on vacation once.

charlene2010
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misstaylor85
by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM
8 moms liked this

Ok funny thing is my parents well my mom and step dad this exact same thing when I was a kid. Its a STUPID idea. Parties WILL be thrown cops WILL be called and if your parents are out of the country you WILL spend a few days in jail....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured