Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

LA becomes largest US city to ban single-use plastic bags. Do you agree?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you OK with plastic bag bans?

Options:

Yes, they're a small but very symbolic step towards environmental awareness.

No, it's a minor problem that adds a burden to business and consumers.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images

The Ralphs supermarket chain is among those impacted by a plastic and paper bag ban approved Wednesday in Los Angeles. Many neighboring jurisdictions already have similar bans in place.

Withstanding a strong lobby from the plastic bag industry, the Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a ban on single-use plastic bags at checkout counters as well as a 10-cent fee on paper bags.

With a population of 4 million -- and using an estimated 2.7 billion plastic bags each year -- Los Angeles becomes the largest city in the U.S. to enact a ban and joins 47 other cities in California alone. 

"This is a tipping point" for banning plastic bags around the world, City Councilman Paul Koretz, a ban sponsor, declared just before the 13-1 vote.

The industry counters that the ban will be bad for the environment and health and will cost local jobs.

by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Replies (71-79):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quoting Stephanie329:

No problem with it. We use re-usable bags. They need to be cheaper though, I think more people would use them if the weren't so expensive. I did get mine for 50 cents each at walmart, but that was a once in a blue moon deal.

I bought mine for $0.99 for the regular size and $1.99 for the double size.  However, the store I bought them from gives a $0.10 credit each time you use a bag.  That credit is per bag, so if in one trip I use 3 bags, I get a $0.30 credit.  This way, it only takes 10 uses for the regular bags and it's paid for itself.  If you think of how much grocery shopping the avg person does, it doesn't take long to use it 10 or even 20 times.

That's why I really think more and more places should give those credits for using reusable.  It helps the customer to pay for their own bags and the store can afford it because they aren't paying to give the customer a plastic bag.  Win/win all around.

GertieK
by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM

California is not only broke, it is broken.  They need to stop worrying about laws that make them feel good about themselves and worry about fixing their broken-ness.  They are so fixated on things that make them feel all warm and fuzzy that they have gotten themselves into a serious situation.  Not that the law(s) are not meant for good... but the results are not good.  They are devastating.   

rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I am not a fan of this.  If people want to use cloth bags they will.  If they choose to use plastic or paper bags then they should be able to.

I agree 100%. Stores are service oriented businesses and providing bags is part of the service, no matter what they are made of. Plastic bags are small in comparison to water bottles. And all those cloth/canvas bags? Made in good ole China

hatinnd
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Quoting GertieK:

California is not only broke, it is broken.  They need to stop worrying about laws that make them feel good about themselves and worry about fixing their broken-ness.  They are so fixated on things that make them feel all warm and fuzzy that they have gotten themselves into a serious situation.  Not that the law(s) are not meant for good... but the results are not good.  They are devastating.   

??? HOW is reducing waste devastating??

FRAUDSTER Tommy Denic is now selling on Ebay under the username of " MyCreations123 ". He regularly changes names because he's a crook!
LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM

You really should wash them, even if they don't have crap on them. Even if it's just produce, since produce isn't washed until you get it home.

Quoting paganbaby:

You'd wash your cloth bags?? I've never heard of doing that. I mean unless they got some crap on them or something.

Quoting Peanutx3:

I have enough laundry to do during the week. I don't need to add cloth bags on top of that.  I reuse my plastic bags so they are not single-use.

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, I thought it was pretty obvious that they were both bad.

True plastic is easier to reuse than paper but cloth is even better :-) Btw, why do you hate cloth?

Quoting Peanutx3:

Sigh.  I remember working at th grocery store and pushing customers to use paper bags and then it was environmentally bad to use paper so we started pushing plastic.  The environmentalists really need to make up their minds.  Plastic bags IMO are easier to reuse than paper bags.  I really dislike cloth bags.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Quoting rotPferd:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I am not a fan of this.  If people want to use cloth bags they will.  If they choose to use plastic or paper bags then they should be able to.

I agree 100%. Stores are service oriented businesses and providing bags is part of the service, no matter what they are made of. Plastic bags are small in comparison to water bottles. And all those cloth/canvas bags? Made in good ole China

Not all of them are made in china(it's really not that difficult to google "Made in the USA" cloth/canvas bags) and some make their own.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM
This. I remember when they banned paper bags too. I think paper and plastic bags are easily recycled. Instead of banning everything and fining people and consumers they should give people incentives to recycle. Like GET ten cents for evety used bag you bring back to the grocery store for recycling. Why does everything have to be policed? As if businesses in California aren't struggling enough.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Sigh.  I remember working at th grocery store and pushing customers to use paper bags and then it was environmentally bad to use paper so we started pushing plastic.  The environmentalists really need to make up their minds.  Plastic bags IMO are easier to reuse than paper bags.  I really dislike cloth bags.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I'm all for it.  I bought 15 canvas bags (easy to make too) years ago.  I keep some in my car all the time.  Paper doesn't work all that great here (Seattle), since it rains so much - nothing worse than a soggy paper bag filled with canned goods!

As for those who pick up pet waste with them, you realize they have compostable bags for that purpose at pet stores, right?  Much better alternative. 

I've traveled to many countries in Europe, and you realize they simply don't HAVE bags at many of the grocery stores, right?  You buy your stuff, and you put it in YOUR bag.  Much better solution, less waste all around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)