Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ObamaCare Flatlines: ObamaCare Taxes Home Sales - Clobbers Middle-Class Americans

Posted by   + Show Post
Yet another way the middle class is getting screwed!

When did your home become part of your health care?

Your vote counts big time in 2012, make sure you and all your friends
and family clean the white house. It is critical.

I thought you might find this interesting, -- maybe even SICKENING!
The National Association of Realtors is all over this and working to get it repealed, -- before it takes effect. But, I am very pleased we aren't the only ones who know about this ploy to steal billions from unsuspecting homeowners. How many realtors do you think will vote Democratic in 2012? Did you know that if you sell your house after 2012 you will pay a
 3.8% sales tax on it? That's $3,800 on a $100,000 home, etc. When did this happen? It's in the health care bill, -- and it goes into effect in 2013. Why 2013? Could it be so that it doesn’t come to light until after the 2012 elections? So, this is ‘change you can believe in’? Under the new health care bill all real estate transactions will be subject to a 3.8% sales tax. If you sell a $400,000 home, there will be a $15,200 tax. This bill is set to screw the retiring generation, -- who often downsize their homes. Does this make your November, 2012 vote more important? Oh, you weren't aware that this was in the ObamaCare bill? Guess what; you aren't alone! There are more than a few members of Congress that weren't aware of it either.

You can check this out for yourself at:

http://www.gop.gov/blog/10/04/08/obamacare-flatlines-obamacare-taxes-home

by on May. 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Lol, it'll be at least 22 years before I qualify for Medicare.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Retired people are the only ones who sell their home? Are these the same retired people who are using the shit out of their medicare?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on May. 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Unless you bought your home for $17,999 and sell it at appraised value or sell it for $1,018,001, this does not apply to you.  In fact, it only affects approximately 3% of all home owners.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

In NYS, a combined salary of $250K for a family of four IS Middle Class.

My home just appraised for 518000. I'm a retired civil servant and SO is still one. I can't afford to put my kids through private school. Many families here would be affected by this.

Quoting joey125:

It will not affect the middle class  It will effect couples earning over 250,000  a year single 200,000  If you sell your home above the  250,000 single 500,000 capital gains threshold you will pay 3.8 %  as per Senator Leahy from Vermont, Snopes, Fact check which all state the same thing.

Sherri

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I wasn't judging you. I understand it was misleading to quote you, I meant you collectively. I apologize for that. What i meant was that people are quick to say they can't afford private school when in reality they just choose to spend their money on other things. My parent said they couldn't afford private school for me and both of them were engineers who worked for GM. For them, having new cars, going on vacations, and buying things like clothing and jewelery were more important.

Here our school taxes are part of our property taxes which are quite high for our state in relation to median income. We also pay a separate county tax but it's based on our property value as well. I have no idea exactly how much either of those are. I don't know how much any of our bills are (DH just tells me how much we have left over to spend on food) aside from our tuition which is $790 a month after the $6000/year need based scholarship we are lucky to receive.

OT: My state just passed a bill requiring health insurance companies to cover autism related treatments...does your state have that? Or are you guys totally on your own.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

And you know this because you're in my pocket? Or live around here? I moved out of the City limits in order to give my children a better, safer life. I also happen to live in one of the highest taxed states in the Nation.

The school tax alone is $10000 here, not counting the County tax of another 5K. How much is it where you live?

We sacrifice plenty, have special needs kids and don't drive expensive cars or have fancy hoo haws and do dads.

Thanks for judging me. •_•
Quoting UpSheRises:

That is silly. Our combined income is far below the average in our area and we can manage to afford private school. You may choose not to make the same sacrifices we have but that doesn't mean you can't afford it...it means you have more important things to spend your money on.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

My home just appraised for 518000. I'm a retired civil servant and SO is still one. I can't afford to put my kids through private school. Many families here would be affected by this.

Quoting joey125:

It will not affect the middle class  It will effect couples earning over 250,000  a year single 200,000  If you sell your home above the  250,000 single 500,000 capital gains threshold you will pay 3.8 %  as per Senator Leahy from Vermont, Snopes, Fact check which all state the same thing.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM
We dont have that but josh is covered under Medicaid for respite and therapy and up until recently, homecare when I was working. His Medicaid isn't based on income.

Any other treatments come out of pocket, as you know homeopaths arent cheap.

NY was hit by the housing fallout but not as bad as some other states. So values have remained rather consistent up here and the taxes are based on property value.

We arent struggling but we aren't the Rockefellers either, ya know? The public schools, I will say are excellent up here. In the City, I had to pay for private Ed but the taxes were much lower. And is it just me or is food shopping ridiculous these days???!?

I do need a new car, but I'm running this junker to the ground. Rachel is going to college next year and there will be expenses for that. And, believe it or not - I NO LONGER own a CREDIT CARD yay!!!!!

Quoting UpSheRises:

I wasn't judging you. I understand it was misleading to quote you, I meant you collectively. I apologize for that. What i meant was that people are quick to say they can't afford private school when in reality they just choose to spend their money on other things. My parent said they couldn't afford private school for me and both of them were engineers who worked for GM. For them, having new cars, going on vacations, and buying things like clothing and jewelery were more important.

Here our school taxes are part of our property taxes which are quite high for our state in relation to median income. We also pay a separate county tax but it's based on our property value as well. I have no idea exactly how much either of those are. I don't know how much any of our bills are (DH just tells me how much we have left over to spend on food) aside from our tuition which is $790 a month after the $6000/year need based scholarship we are lucky to receive.

OT: My state just passed a bill requiring health insurance companies to cover autism related treatments...does your state have that? Or are you guys totally on your own.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

And you know this because you're in my pocket? Or live around here? I moved out of the City limits in order to give my children a better, safer life. I also happen to live in one of the highest taxed states in the Nation.

The school tax alone is $10000 here, not counting the County tax of another 5K. How much is it where you live?

We sacrifice plenty, have special needs kids and don't drive expensive cars or have fancy hoo haws and do dads.

Quoting UpSheRises:

That is silly. Our combined income is far below the average in our area and we can manage to afford private school. You may choose not to make the same sacrifices we have but that doesn't mean you can't afford it...it means you have more important things to spend your money on.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting joey125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joey125
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Lomg Island is very expensive regarding taxes, we are in Orange County and they are expensive here as well however not as expensive., Westchester is really high  The areas that have good schools usually do come with higher taxes.  The point about the 3.8% would apply to capitol gains over 500,000 .  Capitol gains relating to home sales always change at least that is what our tax accountant told us  The affordable healthcare law was a result of years of people saying their health insurance premiums are too high, the mandate was originally a Republican idea and Romney put it into law in Mass, and from what I understand most folks are insured and it has worked out well.  I think there is not enough information out there and if you one article about the benefits you also can read another one about its disadvantages.  Personally I think everyone should have health insurance but that's jmo  

lga1965
by on May. 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL. I don't even know what she is talking about.

I have Medicare and the only difference is that instead of paying $87.00 a month for it, I now pay $90.00 a month. That's not expenisve,IMO. And I get a yearly checkup and mammogram free,. Its great ! I have no idea where she gets these ideas. Wow...but we d know that she hates Obama. No big surprise. Her posts about Zimmerman and Trayvon reveal her feelings toward black people. Poor deluded girl,that Naturewoman.

Quoting shannonnigans:

So you're saying that because you said this, you're going to lose your Social Security or pension? Are you saying the government is monitoring your posts here on CMom and that they'll take punitive action against you? Can you show us evidence of that? Can you show us what information you relied upon for your suggestion that Medicare has been gutted for Obamacare. My father receives Medicare, his plan hasn't changed one iota.

Also, and I'll quote you if you want....You voted for Obama. You said so many times before. Or were you just saying that to defend yourself after people jumped on you for being racist when you said (and I will quote you again) that you were fed up with black people trashing white people and that you were going to take a stand for whites?

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Thats why I HATE, yes I said it, Obama. Now since saying that, I might have to worry I'll get scolded, lose our Soc. Sec., or Pension. Obama already took Billions out of Medicare to put towards Obamacare. Obamacare WILL be repealed. THIS & MANY other reasons is WHY I cant understand WHY ppl would vote for him.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Our lieutenant governors child is autistic so he was able to bring the rest of his party around...at least enough of them to pass it. Michigan has been working on it for about 6 years. It's pretty cool...it covers treatments that are considered experimental and homeopathic.

It's bad ass that you don't have a credit card. We still have one but we don't use it anymore and as soon as its paid off we'll be a cash and carry family.

Thinking about paying for college makes my stomach hurt.  DS is only 6 but I'm hoping private schooling will help him get a scholarship.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

We dont have that but josh is covered under Medicaid for respite and therapy and up until recently, homecare when I was working. His Medicaid isn't based on income.

Any other treatments come out of pocket, as you know homeopaths arent cheap.

NY was hit by the housing fallout but not as bad as some other states. So values have remained rather consistent up here and the taxes are based on property value.

We arent struggling but we aren't the Rockefellers either, ya know? The public schools, I will say are excellent up here. In the City, I had to pay for private Ed but the taxes were much lower. And is it just me or is food shopping ridiculous these days???!?

I do need a new car, but I'm running this junker to the ground. Rachel is going to college next year and there will be expenses for that. And, believe it or not - I NO LONGER own a CREDIT CARD yay!!!!!

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting joey125:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Thats why I HATE, yes I said it, Obama. Now since saying that, I might have to worry I'll get scolded, lose our Soc. Sec., or Pension. Obama already took Billions out of Medicare to put towards Obamacare. Obamacare WILL be repealed. THIS & MANY other reasons is WHY I cant understand WHY ppl would vote for him.

There is a reply with a SNOPES link above yours. You should read it.

A capital gain is a profit that results from investments into a capital asset, such as stocks, bonds or real estate, which exceeds the purchase price. It is the difference between a higher selling price and a lower purchase price, resulting in a financial gain for the investor.[1] Conversely, a capital loss arises if the proceeds from the sale of a capital asset are less than the purchase price.

Capital gains may refer to "investment income" that arises in relation to real assets, such as property; financial assets, such as shares/stocks or bonds; and intangible assets such as goodwill.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Snopes consists of two old people reporting from their house.. Not a credible source.

Quoting Arianna:

Snopes is your friend:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/realestate.asp

this made me laugh so hard! = )

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM
=))

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Snopes consists of two old people reporting from their house.. Not a credible source.

Quoting Arianna:

Snopes is your friend:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/realestate.asp

this made me laugh so hard! = )

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN