Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Trayvon Martin Day declared at D.C. elementary school

Posted by   + Show Post

We may never know exactly how or why young Trayvon Martin was killed that dark February night in Sanford, Fla., but the slaying which has provoked nationwide protests has now prompted something even more unique nearly 900 miles away.

PHOTOS: New Trayvon Martin documents released

PHOTOS: New Trayvon Martin documents released 26 Photos
PHOTOS: New Trayvon Martin documents released

In an effort to better educate students and their parents about race relations and social injustice, a D.C. elementary school has declared Friday “Trayvon Martin Day.”

Teachers at Malcolm X Elementary in Southeast are using the unfolding case and the story surrounding Martin as part of their "Let's Keep Our Children Safe" seminar.

Malcolm X Elementary Principal J. Harrison Coleman says that she hopes the lesson will help reduce the needless violence and bullying in the community.

"The children at Malcolm X know the name Trayvon Martin," Coleman said. "They know the incident. They know because of what they see in the news and what they experience every day."

Coleman said that every adult who attended the seminar would receive an Arizona Iced Tea and each student would get a bag of Skittles.

The staff here hopes this day makes the students at Malcolm X understand that someone always cares. Coleman specifically is calling on more parents to volunteer and get involved.

"We want to send a message to stop the bullying and bring about a happy spirit," Coleman said. "A sense of bonding within the community and within the school.

"I think it's important for them to understand that life is precious."

source

by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Replies (81-89):
Thomigirl
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Dear Bob, why the fuck do I let these people annoy me.  FFS.  By a show of hands how many of you that don't get what the purpose of this exercise is about are raising young black men?  Hmm?  I'll wait.  If not, then sit the fuck down.  You haven't a goddamn clue what it is like to SAFELY raise young black men in this society.  You think it's all about what we as parents teach them?  There's not a thing in the world I or my husband can teach my boys that will keep them unharmed, if a racist fuck is gunning for them.  Not a damn thing.  It angers me to no end to read these ignorant ass statements.  ESPECIALLY, knowing that there's a strong possibility that someone like you or someone who holds your same views will be standing next to my child one day.YES, we teach our kids about ancestral heroes, yet some relate to current events and current figures.  Do any of you have a clue what the public school system is up against when educating today's diverse student population?  Doubt it.  If you did you wouldn't seem so surprised at the methods used to engage them in higher level/critical thinking.  How many of you commenting actually understand the ripple effect that this tragedy has caused amongst the black youth population?  Try not to think so hard, it's evident that you still won't get it and I doubt many of you even want to.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting Thomigirl:

Dear Bob, why the fuck do I let these people annoy me.  FFS.  By a show of hands how many of you that don't get what the purpose of this exercise is about are raising young black men?  Hmm?  I'll wait.  If not, then sit the fuck down.  You haven't a goddamn clue what it is like to SAFELY raise young black men in this society.  You think it's all about what we as parents teach them?  There's not a thing in the world I or my husband can teach my boys that will keep them unharmed, if a racist fuck is gunning for them.  Not a damn thing.  It angers me to no end to read these ignorant ass statements.  ESPECIALLY, knowing that there's a strong possibility that someone like you or someone who holds your same views will be standing next to my child one day.YES, we teach our kids about ancestral heroes, yet some relate to current events and current figures.  Do any of you have a clue what the public school system is up against when educating today's diverse student population?  Doubt it.  If you did you wouldn't seem so surprised at the methods used to engage them in higher level/critical thinking.  How many of you commenting actually understand the ripple effect that this tragedy has caused amongst the black youth population?  Try not to think so hard, it's evident that you still won't get it and I doubt many of you even want to.

Wow, nice. Way to spread vitriol. But no one cares about how nasty you are, funny how that works.

Go ahead, go off on me now.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Anyone wanna explain to me why it is that the "black community" can rally and band together for this "son of all sons" yet when there is bad news, oh say like the 8 people SHOT over this weekend in Chicago, those are not "our people"...and we hear "oh don't paint us all with one brush!"

WHICH IS IT?

Seriously folks.

He is your son, or he is not?

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I think the provlem is that we DO NOT KNOW that it was bullying and teaching childern to jump to conclusions without having ALL the facts and data is wrong. And yes, dince I know someone will ask, I would say the same if there was a school holding Zimmerman's side of the story up as factual. We do not know what happened down there and deciding before ALL evidence is presented is NOT a lesson we should be imparting to our kids.

If there's any point that I would concede to here, it's this ... we don't really know what happened yet and it hasn't come to trial. And if for some reason he is found not guilty of second degree (and they don't go for manslaughter) this could actually play into a very negative public reaction. 

jaw drop
WOW, you are coming around.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Quoting Thomigirl:

good

**Raises hand*

I'm raising a black son, and though it is in this instance an urban situation... you best damn believe I have to raise my son w/the same lessons (I'm out in the cut in SE Ohio). And around here we have a whoooooolllllllllllleeeeee lotta very dyed in the wool racist people with arsenals, this situation brings out one of my fears as well. 

If folks have never walked into an establishment, or stopped for gas, or went to an event and had that sick feeling in their stomach when the looks start ...they just don't know. And knowing who Fredrick Douglass is does nothing in those situations. 

**smh**

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I think the provlem is that we DO NOT KNOW that it was bullying and teaching childern to jump to conclusions without having ALL the facts and data is wrong. And yes, dince I know someone will ask, I would say the same if there was a school holding Zimmerman's side of the story up as factual. We do not know what happened down there and deciding before ALL evidence is presented is NOT a lesson we should be imparting to our kids.

If there's any point that I would concede to here, it's this ... we don't really know what happened yet and it hasn't come to trial. And if for some reason he is found not guilty of second degree (and they don't go for manslaughter) this could actually play into a very negative public reaction. 

jaw drop
WOW, you are coming around.

Eh, it has more to do with thinking the prosecutor overshot what I think a jury of 12 will convict on. And the entire handling of the case by the police officers....and his father's connections ....

Was OJ guilty?

btamilee
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I woke up this morning to the very sad news that a local young man died on Memorial Day.  Army Capt. John “Jay” R. Brainard III..died protecting OUR country.  He is a hero....how about a day for him!!!   Sad..just really sad...

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Now that Trayvon's name is trademarked, I wonder, how does this all work?

Anyone know?

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM
You seem to think only blacks are entitled to an opinion on this. SORRY but bullshit. Because nobody knows that it was a case of bullying or even racism and UNTIL we have all the facts and evidence to back it being either, TEACHING it as EITHER is irresponsible and leads to anger and defensiveness that might not be warrented over THIS issue. So yeah, a racist white asshole might be standing next to your kid spurred on by misplaced anger over a percieved injustice toward whites just as the possibility exists of an angry black kid, spurred on to vengence by misplaced anger over a case we DO NOT know the facts about yet might one day be standing next to MY kid. Guess what, blacks DO NOT have the corner on worrying about how racism in ANY form is effecting our children.

Quoting Thomigirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN