Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fining parents for absent students? Agree or Not?

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 31 Replies

Oregon City schools taking parents to court when kids skip class

Posted: May 24, 2012 10:25 PM PDTUpdated: May 25, 2012 8:07 AM PDT

By Kai Porter - email
OREGON CITY, OR (KPTV) -

A local school district is hoping to keep kids in the classroom by taking their parents to court.

The Oregon City School District is trying out a new program to tackle the problem of poor attendance by issuing citations to parents of students who skip class. If schools have no luck trying to solve the problem, they send the most extreme cases to Municipal Judge Larain McNiece.

The student's parents are then issued a citation and required to appear in court where they could be fined about $160. It's a program called Attendance Court.

"This is the most inconvenient thing in my life right now," said parent Dixie McCoy. "I had to leave work to come here, all because my son can't go to school."

McCoy was shocked when she got a citation for her high school son's absences.

"Especially when I thought he was going," she said. "Because I was taking him to school and he was taking it upon himself to leave."

McNiece decided not to fine McCoy as long as her son doesn't miss any more class. McCoy's son thinks the program is working.

"I think they are trying to scare kids into going to school so their parents don't have to pay for their consequences," said Lathan Lakoduk. "That's what happened to me."

More than eight unattended absences is a violation of the law.

McNiece said she usually doesn't fine the parents right away. Instead, she gives them and their child a chance to come up with a solution to the problem.

"I'm really looking to the student, the parent and the school district for us to come up with something viable," said McNiece. "Then I have the opportunity to make than an order and I've got the ability to impose fines if it fails."

While Attendance Court is new to Oregon City schools, McNiece said it has been very successful in other local school districts that have tried it.

Copyright 2012 KPTV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Disagree completely . My kid my choice . Not that I wouldn't send him but really now . My sister has an auto immune disease and her school tried to fine my parents saying you can only have 10 excused ab a yr . Ha she's lucky if she doesn't have that a quarter . She's holds great grades even not attending .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Also a single working mom who drops her kid at school but then the kid chooses to leave on his own . What is she suppose to do choose a fine or feeding her other 3 kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I don't have a problem with this, and I would think for children with special needs (which are communicated to the campus) this would not apply.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree with this. It did not work for the school system here nor did jailing parents and eventually they got in trouble with the state over using against parents with medical excuses. I do agree with the make up days alternative they have now offered. If a child is simply truant that is one thing but to use it against children who are sick (asthmatics when the school has known mold issues and other such)is just wrong.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I totally disagree. 

Can you imagine a child that is very ill but hides it from mom and dad because they do not want them to get fined for the absence.  Theis could be a huge mess.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I totally disagree. 

Can you imagine a child that is very ill but hides it from mom and dad because they do not want them to get fined for the absence.  Theis could be a huge mess.

I agree...

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree 100%

1Giovanni
by Becca on May. 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Where I live in Oregon they already do this. What really upsets me is when the kid skips. I personally had a issue with my son about skipping. I would take him to school, walk him to class and then when I left he left. I couldn't stay all day to babysit him because I was going to school full time and had a young child.

I got a warning and was told if he skipped again I would be fine. I pulled him out of school, started to homeschool him. I tried to work with the school first to see why he was skipping. They just didn't care. Found out he was just bored.

What they need to figure out is WHY the kids are missing school and if they are skipping WHY are they skipping. IF they are skipping the kid should be getting in trouble not the parents.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

This is ridiculous.  Just another way of sucking money out of parents.  I hate to tell authorities of ANY sort that it is literally impossible to know where your teenager is every moment of every day.  You can drop them off, lecture them, beg them even, but if you have a hard-headed teen that's destined to do things his/her way, you've got a problem.  All this `law' is does is make money for the school district and assumes every parent does not care about where their child is or if they are even attending school.

Another point that has not been touched here, but could easily blow up more controversy is `excused absences' due to illness or whenever the parent calls in for the student.  What happens if this is more than 8 times....is the school district going to then threaten a parent with Attendance Court? 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

It's okay with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured