Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Honor student placed in jail for tardiness and truancy.

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:05 AM
  • 51 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/video/houston11news-15750765/honor-student-placed-in-jail-for-tardiness-and-truancy-at-school-29458964.html

If the judge doesn't reverse his decision then this could end up on her permanent record. What do you think? Discuss.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That's the ticket,make school even HARDER! I'm a Mother, I understand,preach, and demonstrate the importance of a GREAT education! Several college and vocational(Son wanted to do hair since about 6)college grads to show for it,but DAMN, the stress and fear and hostel environments that a lot of these kids deal with in to days schools is really frightening,this girl is working and going to AP classes, I realize she shouldn't miss school but, again DAMN! Now he threatens her permanent record? C'mon, there has to be a better solution,and where are her parents and or guardians? DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyanka
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The judge is an idiot. 

nb34
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

A child who has to work two jobs to provide for her siblings instead of helping her, they throw her in jail? Shame on this judge and our society for not giving a helping hand to this 17 year old so that she can stay in shcool. Why didn't the judge try to set her up with a social worker that could potentially help her resolve her situation. Maybe get her some kind of a shcolarship or something. I don't know exactly what, but I am sure there are ways to help a 17 year old so that she doesn't have to work two jobs instead of going to shcool. This is a very sad situation

gizmo538
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

My question is ... where are the parents and why is this 17 year old taking care of her siblings?

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM
I've just figured out who the world's biggest asshole is, and apparently it is "Hon." Lanny Moriarty, judge who a) ignores the fact that she's brilliant; b) that her circumstances make her even more brilliant; c) doesn't just fine her (stupid enough) but puts her in JAIL, thereby putting her in a hostile and possibly unsafe environment and making it so she can't work to support her family; d) doesnt explore any alternative with regard to a social worker, and e) goes on the record saying he's making an example of her. She is everything great about the so-called American dream and he craps on it. Nightmare is a better description. I'd love to hear what other Houston attorneys think about this judge, I'm guessing he must have a reputation as a total nutcase. Completely disgusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleangie
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Where does the school play in this?  The school should know of this child's cirmcumstances and find the help and resources  that she needs.  They have more interaction with this young lady than the judge.  I would think the guidance department and administrators should know of her challenges that face her and do what they can to help her.  I know that in our district, it is the school that has to take the students and their parents to court for truancy.  They have to communicate with the parents about the truancy.  If the parents do not comply with sending their children to school, the next step is to the magistrate. 

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I don't agree with the judge at all. "Let them run loose"? Really? If she's working 2 jobs and taking advanced classes.....she's not out "running loose". Honestly, it should be done case by case. You shouldn't treat an honor student who's working all kinds of jobs and taking college classes the same as some kid who doesn't give a crap about school and who's failing.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I was sure she'd be black, shocked to see she's Vietnamese though I've heard they have a hard time in Texas which has one of the largest Vietnamese communities if not THE biggest Vietnamese community in the country.

The child is in need of social services, not villainization for being truant.  She should be recognized for managing to stay on the honor roll despite being truant due to all the challenges in her life.

Since when did we start jailing school kids for truancy?  Why didn't the judge put a trace on the parents, who are at the very least, guilty of negligence and abandonment?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

This pisses me off!

I thought before a judge made a ruling on such things he should be made aware of every single circumstance regarding her absences and not just the fact that she has been absent more than usual.

I hate that she might have a record over this.

I also no that beyond the jail stay that her absenteeism will play a role in her college career, too.

mewebb82
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It's ridiculous. I hate Texas truancy laws. I missed a lot of school when I was 13 and was charged with truancy. I was too young to be jailed but my mom was fined $2500 and I got 6 months probation. The reason why I missed so much school.....chemo. My mom was in contact with the school the whole time and I was still getting the work done. And then we almost went through the same thing again a few years later when I got mono and missed 1 day less than truancy laws allow.

My son's school recently sent out a newsletter and there was a section about truancy and how it costs the state $34 for every day a child misses school. Apparantly, we are all just supposed to send our sick kids to school to save the state money. It's crazy.

The judges should look at individual circumstances, but they don't. The attitude is that everyone who does something wrong should be made into an example. Except, they don't look at the fact that this girl's circumstances....or mine.....are not something to be looked down on but rather praised. She's still getting the school work done and taking care of herself and her family the best she can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)