Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you find this image offensive?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Replies (41-50):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Maybe they could have drawn a more appealing Eskimo?

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

sorry if you didn't like my responce but badly drawn logos are a pet peave of mine and this one is pretty damn bad.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Amusing.  Actually, this isn't the best rendition.  There are better graphics of the same logo.  I think the person who drew the cartoon is an actual artist, though.  Perhaps their work isn't to you liking, but to each their own.

Quoting trippyhippy:

I find it offensive...that they couldn't get a real artist to draw this if they are going to put it on shirts.  It's looks like it was drawn by a little kid.

tambrathegreat
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Quoting trippyhippy:

sorry if you didn't like my responce but badly drawn logos are a pet peave of mine and this one is pretty damn bad.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Amusing.  Actually, this isn't the best rendition.  There are better graphics of the same logo.  I think the person who drew the cartoon is an actual artist, though.  Perhaps their work isn't to you liking, but to each their own.

Quoting trippyhippy:

I find it offensive...that they couldn't get a real artist to draw this if they are going to put it on shirts.  It's looks like it was drawn by a little kid.

According to the website, the logo was drawn in 1974.  You do realize that styles have changed since then, don't you?  The proprietors of the establishment liked it and it's stayed around.  (BTW,the dog's name is Buffy and obviously  not a snarling beast.  She is smiling.) 

I don't think the logo is poorly drawn.  I think it's just not to your taste.  Again, to each their own.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf,)ノ

soft kitty, warm kitty, Little ball of fur!  Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr pur!

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting queencreekmom:

I will be honest, when I saw it I thought it was a racist cartoon. Like drawing black people with large lips. It reminds me of that.

Agreed, but then i live here in AK surrounded by the local Natives and it seems that many think it perfectly ok to caricature them in ways like this and in more offensive ways. Even here in AK they get treated like dumb drunken animals with no feelings that it's ok to be offensive to and about.

Sad to me that so many find the image perfectly acceptable and will even defend it based on their liking of the places food *sigh*

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I find it demeaning, BUT - for me it is a local icon, and supporting them supports a local business that employs hundreds of people. I buy the shirts for my children - I don't wear them myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM

no. WHY? Do you?

activitymode
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Considering I am drinking Breakfast tea out of an Eskimo Joe's mug, no.

But someone on the way home from Oklahoma yesterday told me that my son's shirt might be offensive to some people.

Quoting lga1965:

no. WHY? Do you?

autumn129
by AutumLeaves on May. 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM

No.

louzannalady
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I hate the term "Eskimo". It means "Fat Eater" and in the Inuit's language- it isn't the most pleasant term. : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN