Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you find this image offensive?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Replies (81-90):
opinionatedmom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Quoting SlingsAndThings:

No. I actually have a teeshirt from there with that on it.

they make the coolest shirts eskimo joes rocks. good food too

opinionatedmom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM

this is lame :) the eskimo does too have eyes.

Quoting Arroree:

From Shorties link.

A major offender, Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK. Their website says they are famous for the "smile seen round the world," and you can buy a whole host of memorabilia featuring this image. Don't worry, there's also Mexico Joe's, if you're an equal opportunity stereotyper. The "eskimo" doesn't even have eyes. Talk about de-humanizing.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

No it has eye holes, no actual eyeballs in them.

The author of that link IS Native Alaskan, its his/her opinion and he/she is entitled to feel insulted/offended at a horrible image of an "Eskimo" being used to sell product and make money. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Arroree:

From Shorties link.

A major offender, Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK. Their website says they are famous for the "smile seen round the world," and you can buy a whole host of memorabilia featuring this image. Don't worry, there's also Mexico Joe's, if you're an equal opportunity stereotyper. The "eskimo" doesn't even have eyes. Talk about de-humanizing.

opinionatedmom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM

oh my god they forgot the black dots. gez.  everyone needs something to be offended over. I am indian and could care less if someone uses an indian with a feather to make money. it doesn't hurt me. what is so horrible about it he is happy his dog is happy and he is saying cheese.

Quoting Arroree:

No it has eye holes, no actual eyeballs in them.

The author of that link IS Native Alaskan, its his/her opinion and he/she is entitled to feel insulted/offended at a horrible image of an "Eskimo" being used to sell product and make money. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Arroree:

From Shorties link.

JacksMom1221
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM
No. Should it be?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I want one of them. and I am redneck close to hillbilly. maybe we should get offended.

Quoting Lacey14:

How do you feel about this one?  It is slightly different.  Just for the record, I descend from good hillbilly stock, and proud of it. :)

opinionatedmom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM

yeah it took them almost 40 yrs to complain about it

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Quoting trippyhippy:

sorry if you didn't like my responce but badly drawn logos are a pet peave of mine and this one is pretty damn bad.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Amusing.  Actually, this isn't the best rendition.  There are better graphics of the same logo.  I think the person who drew the cartoon is an actual artist, though.  Perhaps their work isn't to you liking, but to each their own.

Quoting trippyhippy:

I find it offensive...that they couldn't get a real artist to draw this if they are going to put it on shirts.  It's looks like it was drawn by a little kid.

According to the website, the logo was drawn in 1974.  You do realize that styles have changed since then, don't you?  The proprietors of the establishment liked it and it's stayed around.  (BTW,the dog's name is Buffy and obviously  not a snarling beast.  She is smiling.) 

I don't think the logo is poorly drawn.  I think it's just not to your taste.  Again, to each their own.

opinionatedmom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Tanya93:

Cool.

Take your kids to the Science museum in OKC when you visit.  B-man loved it!

I'll definitely talk to my cousin about that. I didn't realize there was a science museum there. Were going to her farm in a couple of weeks. My kids love visiting her. They dig the open space and all of the animals.

its the omniplex it is cool and right next door to the zoo

TexasWife
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM

freaky but not offensive

tambrathegreat
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM

You do realize that the Sambo story was about India, right?  There are no tigers in Africa.  Sambo's restaurant wasn't the only one to misidentify the geography of the story.

Quoting tweety101149:

I don't think any of us are eskimos...and it would be hard to ask their opinions.  Perhaps we should seek out Sarah Palin.  She should know since she is an  expert on Alaska.  just sayin.

Seriously, when I saw this it made me think of a restaurant once called Sambo's.  The "artwork" used to advertise the restaurant was quite disturbing to me... thankfully the "artwork" and the restaurant name are no longer around. ,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN