Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School Lunches

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

Much like the fed up with school lunch blog from last year, this Scottish girl is blogging her daily lunch at school and what she does and doesn't like and what they serve

It's gone viral.  She's now had a million hits in a month

http://neverseconds.blogspot.com/

by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

That is pretty cool.  I am going to have to take more time today and read through it.

I did notice Spokane, WA! lol

etsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I can see why she doesn't care for some of her lunches. They are kind of bland looking and they don't offer up a lot of nutricion. I was suprized that the American lunches looked mostly healthy, but very colorful. I haven't seen a school lunch in about 15 years but they definitely look better than they did in my day. I know that they aren't always healthy.  Another thing was the portions. The portions in the girls blog looked small, but as everything in America is oversized, I guess it is easy to forget that portions are actually smaller in other countries.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My daughter has a Scottish[ from Scotland] friend who claims to be a vegetarian- yet this gal does not eat fruits or vegetables. Both girls are living and working in So America. C's Scottish friend is married to an Ecuadorian man who is a friend of my daughter's BF...anyway, the couples sometimes share meals at home. Drives my daughter crazy- this girl's idea of a meal is Doritos.

My daughter is a health nut.

Saving the link for later- I can hear my husband getting ready for our run/hike-

Tanya93
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think the kinds of terrible meals served at schools here are way more common than those good ones.

I honestly think a lot of it those who get the better school meals probably have access to a camera phone and blogging and a computer.  Those in the inner cities where these terrible meals often happen, don't have as much access.

Quoting etsmom:

I can see why she doesn't care for some of her lunches. They are kind of bland looking and they don't offer up a lot of nutricion. I was suprized that the American lunches looked mostly healthy, but very colorful. I haven't seen a school lunch in about 15 years but they definitely look better than they did in my day. I know that they aren't always healthy.  Another thing was the portions. The portions in the girls blog looked small, but as everything in America is oversized, I guess it is easy to forget that portions are actually smaller in other countries.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Proof that the less healthy a food is the cheaper it is to purchase and serve

etsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Could be. I went to school in farming communities so I never saw anything like that. We had the same 6 or 7 meals, and usually one of them was pizza or a cheese zombie, but that was the extent of bad food. Mostly, there was not as much color or fresh foods in our lunches.  I used to go to school in Spokane but back then my mom packed my lunches (I was 5 at the time).  I have no idea what is in the lunches at larger schools in larger cities.  

Quoting Tanya93:

I think the kinds of terrible meals served at schools here are way more common than those good ones.

I honestly think a lot of it those who get the better school meals probably have access to a camera phone and blogging and a computer.  Those in the inner cities where these terrible meals often happen, don't have as much access.

Quoting etsmom:

Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
Tanya93
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I always loved school lunches.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM
I have to know...... WHAT is Cheese Zombie?! It sounds fun!

Quoting etsmom:

Could be. I went to school in farming communities so I never saw anything like that. We had the same 6 or 7 meals, and usually one of them was pizza or a cheese zombie, but that was the extent of bad food. Mostly, there was not as much color or fresh foods in our lunches.  I used to go to school in Spokane but back then my mom packed my lunches (I was 5 at the time).  I have no idea what is in the lunches at larger schools in larger cities.  

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting etsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
etsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM

It's a layer of bisquick biscuit mix, then a layer of cheese, and another layer of biscuit. Bake it  the over until the biscuit is cooked and there you have it. A zombie.  They are good, but a little greasy from the cheese.  We would usually get those instead of pizza every other friday. You could probably up the nutricion if you added some veggies to the cheese layer like corn or peas, any veg that cooks quickly.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I have to know...... WHAT is Cheese Zombie?! It sounds fun!

Quoting etsmom:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting etsmom:

Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN