Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drunk girl wanders in to home, unarmed, is shot and is being charged.

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feel she should be charged?

Quote:

Posted: May 27, 2012 6:39 AM PDTUpdated: May 27, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

By MARISA TAYLOR

A drunk woman will be charged with felony trespassing after she wandered into a couple's home in Boulder, Colo. on Wednesday, the Boulder District Attorney's Office said Friday.

Recent University of Colorado Boulder college graduate Zoey Ripple, 21, was unarmed and intoxicated when she entered the multimillion dollar home of Doreen Orion and Timothy Justice through an unlocked screen door on Wednesday night.

The couple called 911 after Ripple walked into their bedroom, they screamed at her to leave, and then fired a single shot at her, which hit her in the hip, when she continued to walk into the room.

Her blood alcohol level was three times the legal level, according to police. Ripple was fine after being shot, though she seemed "stoned," as Orion told 911 dispatchers in the phone call.

Orion, noted author of the book "Queen of the Road," and Justice will not face any charges for shooting Ripple because of Colorado's "Make My Day" law, which allows residents to use deadly force against home intruders.

But Ripple will be charged with first-degree criminal trespassing of a dwelling, which could land her in state prison. The reason she entered Orion and Justice's home in the first place is still unknown.

Ripple did have a 2010 charge for shoplifting on her record, to which she pleaded guilty, but the charges were later dropped, according to The Denver Post.

Her friends and her attorney think the felony charge for Wednesday's incident is far too harsh.

"She had no criminal intent when she entered the home," said Ripple's attorney, Colette Cribari,, in a statement. "She has been truly traumatized by this, and I think getting shot should be punishment enough."

The Boulder County District Attorney said that Ripple isn't the only drunk college student to wander into someone's home--there are some 12 to 15 cases each year, which often lead to violence.

In fact, another case took place on Thursday, the night after Ripple entered Orion and Price's home, the DA's office told The Post, though no violence took place.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on May. 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Replies (321-330):
ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I could definitely agree to those terms.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ashellbell:

I'm not sure. I couldn't form an opinion without an example. Obviously only crimes that leaves no one hurt.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ashellbell:

Oh, please. She did it on accident. I'd say they're even.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting ashellbell:

There were no victims in this situation. I think the charge is too much.

No victims?  Seems to me the homeowners were the victims of unlawful trespassing.

What other accidents are acceptable when one is drunk?  Three times the legal limit drunk, at that.

Okay.  Now, in this particular case I can see some type of community service, perhaps sit in on a session or three of AA and even the threat of going to jail if she drinks for a certain amount of time.......versus jail time.

But to not be held accountable for her actions is so wrong to me.  Being shot isn't holding her accountable, legally. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM
It was an accident, obviously. I love when people put words in my mouth.
Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting Aadensma:

No, I don't think she should be charged. If it was some weird dude with a gun, yeah, charge his ass. But she was unarmed.

They did not know she was unarmed.

AND no one should be charged for breaking and entering or unlawful trespass as long as they are not armed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM
It was an accident, obviously. Now they they KNOW she WASN'T armed, I think calling the cops is enough...she would probably get in trouble for being drunk and disorderly or whatever.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Aadensma:

No, I don't think she should be charged. If it was some weird dude with a gun, yeah, charge his ass. But she was unarmed.

The home owners did not know this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Agreed

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Yes she should be charged. Why wouldn't she be?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Omg...seriously? I'm talking AFTER the fact...after they figured out that she was drunk and ACCIDENTALLY walked into someone's house. It was *obviously* accidental.

Quoting Tanya93:

How did they know that?

Should they wait to be shot?

Quoting Aadensma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM
She still committed a crime. Accident or not. Why would you excuse her? Because she was drunk?

Quoting Aadensma:

It was an accident, obviously. Now they they KNOW she WASN'T armed, I think calling the cops is enough...she would probably get in trouble for being drunk and disorderly or whatever.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Aadensma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Because I could. We all have our own opinions. Good night to you.
Quoting smurfbitebug:

She still committed a crime. Accident or not. Why would you excuse her? Because she was drunk?

Quoting Aadensma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Aadensma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:32 AM
... I was just asking a question.

Quoting Aadensma:

Because I could. We all have our own opinions. Good night to you.
Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting Aadensma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Aadensma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelina59
by New Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Quoting Holztastic:

Perhaps I should have mentioned that while I feel for her, she should definitely be charged. I guess I was assumed people knew what I was thinking, lol.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting Holztastic:

Jesus. They should have locked their door. The poor stupid girl was probably so drunk she didn't realize they were screaming at her and was trying to figure out why THEY were in HER house.

The victims are now at fault?  Drunk people are just stupid and do not know what they are doing and so they should not be held accountable?  Really?

All of those drunk drivers had no clue?  The victims should have been more vigilent and perhap shold have stayed off the road all together.

Oh and the drunk driver driving the wrong direction on the freeway had no clue right?  He or she was just wondering why everyone else was going the wrong way?

Adrunk driver who has keys in hand and a car knows exactly whats going to happen from point A to point B, The drunk driver knows he is getting into the car after he gets hammered,Im sure the girl didnt  know she was going to end up in a strangers house when she started drinking.@ totally different situations.

Angelina59

tambrathegreat
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Yeah, she should be charged.  That couple didn't invite her in at all. What a stupid, stupid woman.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured