Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Drunk girl wanders in to home, unarmed, is shot and is being charged.

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feel she should be charged?

Quote:

Posted: May 27, 2012 6:39 AM PDTUpdated: May 27, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

By MARISA TAYLOR

A drunk woman will be charged with felony trespassing after she wandered into a couple's home in Boulder, Colo. on Wednesday, the Boulder District Attorney's Office said Friday.

Recent University of Colorado Boulder college graduate Zoey Ripple, 21, was unarmed and intoxicated when she entered the multimillion dollar home of Doreen Orion and Timothy Justice through an unlocked screen door on Wednesday night.

The couple called 911 after Ripple walked into their bedroom, they screamed at her to leave, and then fired a single shot at her, which hit her in the hip, when she continued to walk into the room.

Her blood alcohol level was three times the legal level, according to police. Ripple was fine after being shot, though she seemed "stoned," as Orion told 911 dispatchers in the phone call.

Orion, noted author of the book "Queen of the Road," and Justice will not face any charges for shooting Ripple because of Colorado's "Make My Day" law, which allows residents to use deadly force against home intruders.

But Ripple will be charged with first-degree criminal trespassing of a dwelling, which could land her in state prison. The reason she entered Orion and Justice's home in the first place is still unknown.

Ripple did have a 2010 charge for shoplifting on her record, to which she pleaded guilty, but the charges were later dropped, according to The Denver Post.

Her friends and her attorney think the felony charge for Wednesday's incident is far too harsh.

"She had no criminal intent when she entered the home," said Ripple's attorney, Colette Cribari,, in a statement. "She has been truly traumatized by this, and I think getting shot should be punishment enough."

The Boulder County District Attorney said that Ripple isn't the only drunk college student to wander into someone's home--there are some 12 to 15 cases each year, which often lead to violence.

In fact, another case took place on Thursday, the night after Ripple entered Orion and Price's home, the DA's office told The Post, though no violence took place.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on May. 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Replies (341-350):
EllysMom1005
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
The guy isn't dead yet. Just in critical condition. However that doesn't negate the argument. The girl could have had mad martial arts skills. Don't hands have to be registered as deadly weapons or is that a myth?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting JamesMom714:

Hell yes she should be charged! She trespassed into someone else's home.

The owners had every right to shoot her too. They had no way of knowing she had no criminal intent and even unarmed people are capable of killing others.

As evidenced in the post about the guy eating another guy's face off! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
struezel
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My first thought was that she was looking for help...especially with being that intoxicated. 

KG34
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I hate it when people say that. If I forget to lock my door, it doesn't give anyone the right to just walk in. I do agree with it being a bit harsh though.

Quoting Trish0023:

I think it's a bit harsh, if these people locked their door she wouldn't have walked in.

juju40
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

uhhh yes...she was trespassing ...

toomanygone1130
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I also think it's a bit harsh. But sense there is probably no way of knowing if it really was just a drunken mistake or if she was trying something stupid. I think that some fines and maybe a little community service would be in order. But not Jail time.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Yes she should be charged.  I doubt she will get any jail time but she most definitely should be charged.

FullMoonFever
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yes she should be charged,and I don't think it's wrong at all to protect yourself in your own home,by whatever means necessary.I'd damn well shoot an intruder,whether they are armed or not,stoned or sober.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM
She should be charged

She is lucky she is alive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeachySweet2007
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM
She deserves the charge. Maybe she'll reevaluate her drinking habits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Dixie on May. 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I think she should be charged, but not be in jail too long. If they do charge her it might teach her a lesson about getting drunk and being places where she doesn't belong. Otherwise she will never learn her lesson and keep on doing the same thing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN