Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Drunk girl wanders in to home, unarmed, is shot and is being charged.

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feel she should be charged?

Quote:

Posted: May 27, 2012 6:39 AM PDTUpdated: May 27, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

By MARISA TAYLOR

A drunk woman will be charged with felony trespassing after she wandered into a couple's home in Boulder, Colo. on Wednesday, the Boulder District Attorney's Office said Friday.

Recent University of Colorado Boulder college graduate Zoey Ripple, 21, was unarmed and intoxicated when she entered the multimillion dollar home of Doreen Orion and Timothy Justice through an unlocked screen door on Wednesday night.

The couple called 911 after Ripple walked into their bedroom, they screamed at her to leave, and then fired a single shot at her, which hit her in the hip, when she continued to walk into the room.

Her blood alcohol level was three times the legal level, according to police. Ripple was fine after being shot, though she seemed "stoned," as Orion told 911 dispatchers in the phone call.

Orion, noted author of the book "Queen of the Road," and Justice will not face any charges for shooting Ripple because of Colorado's "Make My Day" law, which allows residents to use deadly force against home intruders.

But Ripple will be charged with first-degree criminal trespassing of a dwelling, which could land her in state prison. The reason she entered Orion and Justice's home in the first place is still unknown.

Ripple did have a 2010 charge for shoplifting on her record, to which she pleaded guilty, but the charges were later dropped, according to The Denver Post.

Her friends and her attorney think the felony charge for Wednesday's incident is far too harsh.

"She had no criminal intent when she entered the home," said Ripple's attorney, Colette Cribari,, in a statement. "She has been truly traumatized by this, and I think getting shot should be punishment enough."

The Boulder County District Attorney said that Ripple isn't the only drunk college student to wander into someone's home--there are some 12 to 15 cases each year, which often lead to violence.

In fact, another case took place on Thursday, the night after Ripple entered Orion and Price's home, the DA's office told The Post, though no violence took place.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on May. 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
The_Doodle
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Whatever her intentions were, she still entered a home that didn't belong to her, then continued to approach people who were rightfully freaked the hell out and warning her to stay still. If she wanted to get so wasted, then she should have stayed her ass home so she wouldn't do something stupid like...walking into a house that wasn't hers.

EllysMom1005
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I love this response.

Quoting Tanya93:

I love this. They are a fault. Remember that the next time someone hits your car. If you hadn't been driving it, no one would hit it.

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

these people are not fucking victims.  Seriously.  A drunk girl wondered into their unlocked home mistaking it for something else.  Not with malice or intent to harm anything or any one in that house.  Had she been intoxicatd and trying to harm them, yes.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Drunk or not, if she went into someone's home without permission, it is trespassing.  I don't know if I would have shot her, but they did not shoot to kill.  They had no way of knowing if she was armed or not. They had no way of knowing her intent or if there were others in another room.  

ZanderandBella
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

One reason I am against alcohol but yes, she should be charged and I do believe the home owners were in the right.

Aslen
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM
4 moms liked this

How in the HELL can people say she shouldn't be charged??? SMMFH YOU ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS DAMN COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!

DawnPratt23
by on May. 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I doubt the MULTImillion dollar home was next door to whatever club/bar she came from. I seriously doubt she accidently found a home of millionaires to stumble into.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Well I would've shot her. I don't know this woman to put my trust into the possibility that she won't harm me or my children. Maybe you're comfortable banking your safety on a her, but I wouldn't be. She's also fortunate that she was shot in the hip. A center mass shot from my .45 would've killed her.

No way are the homeowners at fault for NOT locking their door. That's ridiculous.
Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

victims?  I drunk tiny little thing wondered into their home probably thinking it was hers or a friends.  And they are victims?  YEa ok.  If she went in there with malice or intent then yes.  But she wasa just a dumb drunk kid who happened to mistake a home.  My husband would not have shot

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

So you blame the victims?

Quoting Trish0023:

I think it's a bit harsh, if these people locked their door she wouldn't have walked in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You're right... and every single court country in the country would DISagree with you. Why? 

A.) she was in there WITHOUT permission. That's a fact.

B.) She was told to stop, and didn't. That's ALSO a fact.

See, the FACTS far outweigh your OPINION. Dear God please don't ever be a lawyer SMMFH

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

the charges are bullshit. i dont care if you dont agree with me.  We are all entitled to your opinion. and i tend to not side with trigger happy people.  Opinions are like assholes... everyone has one

Quoting EllysMom1005:

That's completely beside the point. Her actions are what caused her to be in this mess in the first place. It's not the homeowners's fault that she got drunk enough to not know what she was doing or where she was. They didn't know what her intentions were.

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

its not hard to lock doors. She was shot, I dont think crimal tresspassing really fits her crime honestly.

Quoting EllysMom1005:

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

maybe ppl should lock their doors.  just sayin

There have been times that I've forgotten to lock up or close the garage door before going to bed. That doesn't give someone the right to enter my home drunk or not. Actually the more I think about this, the more I agree with her being charged. Paying consequences is part of making mistakes.  She wasn't a 5 year old kid. No one should pat her on the head and say it's ok. If you are a grown adult and capable of making adult decisions you are are also grown up enough to take the consequences of your actions.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Yes absolutely. Maybe she'll think a little harder next time before she gets hammered.

yrfavoritseason
by on May. 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Come on.. everyone has been that drunk college kid.. She deserved to be shot, and should definately have some legal consequences for it! She was 21, the legal age to drink, yet she is too irresponsible to handle herself.. I think they should give her a new ID that says even though she is 21, this dumb bitch cant go out and drink! This makes us responsible 20 somethins with careers and kids look stupid.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)