Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Public Assistance......................

Posted by   + Show Post

What exactly do the people who condemn social programs hate about it? Is it an individual program,ie, Section 8,Medicare,Child support enforcement(yes, it is a P.A.funded program that allows the State to recoup money paid to unwed Mothers/Fathers on TANF) TANF,SNAP,Legal Aid(the guidelines  are decided upon whether you meet the poverty level)etc., Or the collective programs that are life lines for millions of impoverished families?

Since I started participating in this forum,I have seen some Moms go nuclear over other Mothers receiving PA. So, what exactly do you hate about the programs that literally keep people off the streets, and allow them some dignity?

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting celestegood:

It's the abusers,op. Which is fewer then what opponents think.It's the people who seem to always "know" someone who abuses it, and it is the myth that everyone on it, abuses it. Agreed

It's just a myth, though.  And its damaging to those who are on it, because they have to pay for it in shame. Also Agreed,and to go one step further,people didn't harp on it constantly until politicians made it a focal point! Then it became Republican vs. Democrat,They use it at election time and hype it up! I've seen a couple of Romney ads saying he would slash all these programs but will give companies that supplies jobs tax breaks,that's funny because,many companies went over seas for cheap labor and land!How would their tax break trigger jobs? Are people to commute to say China for work? 

*REAL TALK*

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Our family is the same way!  Hugs.  I hope you get off soon and I wish you all long happy lives!

Quoting MeTaL_MoMmA_08:

as someone on PA (food stamps & Medicaid)... true story.

I wanna slap some of the other moms on this site; it's like they think people ENJOY being poor & dependent on the gov't to survive...  Maybe some do? I don't know. I don't understand why anyone would want to be poor forever. I know my family isn't one of those; I hate the fact that we need the "help" (and what burns my ass is that we DIDN'T need it till we moved home to Michigan). Counting the days till we can get off assistance & the state quits playing god with my health care...

Quoting celestegood:

It's the abusers,op.  It's the people who seem to always "know" someone who abuses it, and it is the myth that everyone on it, abuses it.

It's just a myth, though.  And its damaging to those who are on it, because they have to pay for it in shame.

IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

The only think I don't like is that there isn't enough accountability.  There needs to be some way to control how easy it is to sell your benefits to others and there also needs to be a life-time limit for cash assistance. There is no reason that a healthy individual should be able to sit on their ass for 25 years collecting cash benefits just because they have children (my own mother did this from the time she was 18 until she was 40 and they finally cut her off and she HAD to get a job). There are programs in place to give you job training, help pay for daycare and so on. I understand the cost of trying welfare abuse/fraud cases is outrageous but something has to be done and getting rid of the programs altogether is not the answer.

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I may love you.  Seriously.

I so agree.  Who really controls this country?  Huge corporations who can afford to wine and dine our senators-and buy votes/bills.  Yes, they lobby our lawmakers, and they get tax breaks and laws that make it ok to take said money to bring jobs overseas.

Then, they talk about how they are slashing PA, but where are all these jobs we need? OVERSEAS!

Until companies bring jobs back to America, we won't get anywhere.  Gone are the days in which most people can find a decent paying job that will keep them off of PA.  And its a very sad thing.

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting celestegood:

It's the abusers,op. Which is fewer then what opponents think.It's the people who seem to always "know" someone who abuses it, and it is the myth that everyone on it, abuses it. Agreed

It's just a myth, though.  And its damaging to those who are on it, because they have to pay for it in shame. Also Agreed,and to go one step further,people didn't harp on it constantly until politicians made it a focal point! Then it became Republican vs. Democrat,They use it at election time and hype it up! I've seen a couple of Romney ads saying he would slash all these programs but will give companies that supplies jobs tax breaks,that's funny because,many companies went over seas for cheap labor and land!How would their tax break trigger jobs? Are people to commute to say China for work? 

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Quoting EllysMom1005:

In regards to child support enforcement your statement wasn't exactly accurate.I am referring to the provision that single Mother receiving TANF have as a requirement to seek child support to recoup through the absent parent Money paid out for the upkeep of said childYes the state will go after reimbursement cases but you can also sign up for cse services without being on any other sort of assistance.That is volunteery, it is mandatory for Mothers/Fathers seeking TANF, to file support papers, there isn't even a opt out ,if you want TANF. SNAP is less restrictive.The state will obtain the order and help with enforcing or you can bring an existing order such as a divorce decree.After child support is obtained,a sister agency,child support enforcement keep track and distributes the benefits after the state is paid.

*REAL TALK*

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a lifetime limit for cash assistance-five years.  I'm sure your mom was cut off of cash based on the law that was passed by Clinton in the nineties.

Quoting IhartU:

The only think I don't like is that there isn't enough accountability.  There needs to be some way to control how easy it is to sell your benefits to others and there also needs to be a life-time limit for cash assistance. There is no reason that a healthy individual should be able to sit on their ass for 25 years collecting cash benefits just because they have children (my own mother did this from the time she was 18 until she was 40 and they finally cut her off and she HAD to get a job). There are programs in place to give you job training, help pay for daycare and so on. I understand the cost of trying welfare abuse/fraud cases is outrageous but something has to be done and getting rid of the programs altogether is not the answer.

Tanya93
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?   I completely disagree that most people cannot find a job that keeps them off PA.

Quoting celestegood:

I so agree.  Who really controls this country?  Huge corporations who can afford to wine and dine our senators-and buy votes/bills.  Yes, they lobby our lawmakers, and they get tax breaks and laws that make it ok to take said money to bring jobs overseas.

Then, they talk about how they are slashing PA, but where are all these jobs we need? OVERSEAS!

Until companies bring jobs back to America, we won't get anywhere.  Gone are the days in which most people can find a decent paying job that will keep them off of PA.  And its a very sad thing.

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting celestegood:

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The thing is unless you worked in every state in social service,it is still a minimum in the grand scheme. It Literally is a few in most people's narrative.

Quoting Carpy:

I don't "know" someone who abuses it,  I know and have known many who do and have.  One abuse case we had, was a very malnourished baby, who's mother was trading her WIC formula for crack.  She ended up with her parental rights terminated.  I can give you MANY cases that are similar.  And these were only while working with CPS.  That is not to say that (especially now)  I do not know people who do need it.

Quoting celestegood:

It's the abusers,op.  It's the people who seem to always "know" someone who abuses it, and it is the myth that everyone on it, abuses it.

It's just a myth, though.  And its damaging to those who are on it, because they have to pay for it in shame.

*REAL TALK*

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Part time minimum wage jobs are not jobs you can raise a family on and stay off of PA.

You aren't living in reality.

Quoting Tanya93:

Really?   I completely disagree that most people cannot find a job that keeps them off PA.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting celestegood:

Tanya93
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually I live in a very nice reality.  It is always so amusing to read that I don't live in reality because you don't like what I see in my world.

One in which most people do have jobs that keep them off PA.   The only ones I know in my life use it are former students who got pregnant in HS.

You really think over 50% of people in this country are on welfare of some sort?

Quoting celestegood:

Part time minimum wage jobs are not jobs you can raise a family on and stay off of PA.

You aren't living in reality.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting celestegood:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN