Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Public Assistance......................

Posted by   + Show Post

What exactly do the people who condemn social programs hate about it? Is it an individual program,ie, Section 8,Medicare,Child support enforcement(yes, it is a P.A.funded program that allows the State to recoup money paid to unwed Mothers/Fathers on TANF) TANF,SNAP,Legal Aid(the guidelines  are decided upon whether you meet the poverty level)etc., Or the collective programs that are life lines for millions of impoverished families?

Since I started participating in this forum,I have seen some Moms go nuclear over other Mothers receiving PA. So, what exactly do you hate about the programs that literally keep people off the streets, and allow them some dignity?

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Replies (51-60):
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I agree wholeheartedly that there are abusers I just don't see the out of control! The stats that have been posted time and time again prove government spending goes to very little in retrospect! I know there are leeches but if anything is rampant there should be droves of social workers in the unemployment line,the axe falls to them!

Quoting Carpy:

It is considered more cost effective to allow abuse than to prosecute in many cases.  that is why abuse is out of control.

Quoting charleyd68:

But less then some may think too. I agree that there are abusers,I agree that some allow Assistance to enable the attitude of not having to work and or becoming self sufficient. However, the good upstanding, down on their Luck, hard working people far out way the Abusers. And the state by state agencies should be held more accountable for those who fall through the cracks,plus prosecution of proven abusers may stem the tide! The guidelines I read should make it nearly impossible for those able body recipients to abuse the system if the social workers are doing their jobs!

Quoting Carpy:

It takes away incentive and is abused extensively.  I have seen the abuse first hand for years.  Especially when I worked for CPS.  I have no probelm with people who truly need it.  I have a problem with people who trade foodstamps for drugs and alcohol and it happens more than some like to admit.

*REAL TALK*

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I answered that,I had to clarify my reply! Duly noted!

Quoting Tanya93:

Um, where then does the money come for these programs?

Quoting charleyd68:

Not in the traditional sense! I try to steer clear of them because with out walking in another's shoes,you have no place to judge! Also,with the climate for PA.(on CM)  A lot of misconceptions abound,so I wondered why Moms of all people, have such hostility against social programs,and what do they think they are! And the fact is TAXPAYER money is not the main source of revenue for these programs! I'd like to get a sense on why some are died set against PA,when we're Mothers,nurturers that shouldn't want to see people,children especially denied services that give more then aid,it gives dignity! JS

Quoting kidlover2:

Yay! It's public assistance day!

*REAL TALK*

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally have no issue with it. I just feel that there should be guidelines that are a lot more strict than they are, regular drugtesting, involvement of the social workers. Classes, if the mother is not able to get child care or a second job, do the same thing work first would do, make them volunteer so many hours at a place and pay them for that.

As long as they people are doing the best that they can to make better of themselves, its cool. 

If not then I think PA should be taken away. 

LucyBbie.
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Ive never had a Problem with it in fact I was on it but thank God I found a Job and got off it asap :) I hated it, wasnt able to get anything my kids wanted and as a mom you wana make them happy and get them a toy here or there or even taking them out would of made them Happy. Not that i Judge anyone on it, but it should be use to get you back on your feet. and im talking about PA Money.

Now Section 8 I dont like that, in fact my Brother in laws cousin has No Job, her man dont ether, 3 kids and I jus found out shes the talk of the Town cause she got her section 8 and lives in a 2 STORY 4 BD 3BTH AND W/ A POOL. REALLLY? 0_o
idk imo thats not cool.

But im not against any PA bt dont like section 8 lol (yes im jelous) :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alohawithspice
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM
4 moms liked this

The problem is not PA. It is people making a lifestyle out of it and making no attempt to support themselves. For instance, women intentionally getting pregnant so they can continue to qualify, people turning down paying jobs because they would rather receive PA, and people committing fraud. PA should be temporary, not a lifestyle.

Sillybillymel
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Isnt it 5 years per kid? My husbands mom worked the system for his entire life until they grew up and now his grandparents support her. She has never worked.

Meand5
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting survivorinohio:

I dont like section 8 as I feel it is distributed unfairly,  it causes rents to be higher, and is generally unfair to all the low income people that dont get it.

The rest of pa I dont have issue with.

I get section 8 and I wouldn 't be able to provide a home for my kids if I didn't. I am a single parent a full time student and a full time worker but I don't make that much money and I need the help with my rent. I understand some ppl take advantage, but not all. I also went into a shelter with my kids for a year because I was homeless so this was not just handed to me.

Try something new ALL THE TIME!!!

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I get that but it is easier said then done! We have unstable everything if there were a time limit there would be a lot more car-houses! If it isn't property tax hikes,increase in the cost of living,and less affordable housing Lots of people would be effected! I am sorry you ran into super bitch, especially in your time of need,but I know many people who work and don't get any other aid and would never be able to pay rent or maintain a standard of living. The typical section 8 waiting list is 5 years.

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

The person you quoted is correct. It is distributed unfairly. They dont do it based on need. The do it with a lottery system. When I was 8 months pregnant and literally one day away from being homeless you know what the bitcb at the seection 8 office said "not my problem" I thought I was going to jump over the counter.

While I dont disagree with section 8 I feel it should be time limited. At a certain point you need to get a job or a better job and take care of yourself

Quoting charleyd68:

I guess I am not understanding! The people and program I know can't pay rent, in even affordable standard of living homes and or apartments. The Section 8 programs supplements rent on behalf of the renter any where from 0% rent the tenet pays up to now 70%. With out sec-8 millions would be homeless!

Quoting survivorinohio:

I dont like section 8 as I feel it is distributed unfairly,  it causes rents to be higher, and is generally unfair to all the low income people that dont get it.

*REAL TALK*

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It's sad that many can't distinguish between the two! Rampant abuse can be slowed! Like you said,those who are of the mind to do it will find away. Their case workers are employed to stop it.

Quoting AMBG825:

Ding Ding. This is what people dislike about PA. It's not so much the abusers. There will always be those that will try to abuse. It's the agencies responsible that KNOW people are abusing and do nothing. Example: if someone spends time in jail for welfare fraud, they should not be able to get back on welfare as soon as they get out of jail. There should be county to county, state to state communication between offices. If a person can get around the time limits by moving to a different county, there should be communication between counties. When there are reports of fraud i.e. you're living with a convicted felon, those should be actually investigated.

The issues aren't with the majority of those that are on it. The issues are with the agencies that allow the abuses to occur.

Quoting charleyd68:

But less then some may think too. I agree that there are abusers,I agree that some allow Assistance to enable the attitude of not having to work and or becoming self sufficient. However, the good upstanding, down on their Luck, hard working people far out way the Abusers. And the state by state agencies should be held more accountable for those who fall through the cracks,plus prosecution of proven abusers may stem the tide! The guidelines I read should make it nearly impossible for those able body recipients to abuse the system if the social workers are doing their jobs!

Quoting Carpy:

It takes away incentive and is abused extensively.  I have seen the abuse first hand for years.  Especially when I worked for CPS.  I have no probelm with people who truly need it.  I have a problem with people who trade foodstamps for drugs and alcohol and it happens more than some like to admit.

*REAL TALK*

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM

With exceptions to the 6 months,that is state to state! Because of the need to shrink section 8 violations that were posted by I told you so,will end your participation, now!

Quoting survivorinohio:

Here the best thing about section 8 is the accountability of the landlord.  The housing authority inspects the properties every 6 mo and the landlord is responsible for upkeep. 

Quoting I_told_you_so:

I don't like Section 8 because they don't require the people to keep up their homes, and even when they try to, they don't check.   We have in the houses around me (1 each side, 3 across, and 3 behind) we have 4 section 8 houses.  The other 3 are owner purchased non-rentals.  Of the 4, 2 are long terms and they have kept up the houses.  The other 2 have had to be remodeled several times due to the abuse of the tenants.  One of them has a new family from Haiti that came here as refugees, and they seem to be ok, although there are a lot of cars around.   The other one is the neighbor from hell.   Cops are there at least once a week.  Loud music, loud TV, kids running wild, public drinking, cars coming and going all day and night.  Loud fights.  They are tearing doors off the house, trash all in the yard.   We just got a bad family out of there too - she was put in jail for welfare fraud.   She had kids and was getting wefare for them and living with the daddy too.  Daddy wasn't supposed to be there.  Daddy would come to any neighbor and beg for money, ask for or demand a ride someplace.  Came up to me when I got home from work at midnight wanting money, and a ride somewhere.  I told him no.  He smelled of alcohol and cried about how he was gonna lose his woman.  I told him to stop drinking and get out of my yard.  In my development, which is older homes, you can usually tell which homes are section 8 because they are run down and trashy looking.  There are some section 8 houses which the people do keep up, but the landlords don't want to do repairs or paint.

Quoting survivorinohio:

*REAL TALK*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)