Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School supplies that aren't in the 'required' list. Who's responsible?

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 116 Replies

After reading the Teacher Appreciation thread I started thinking about something a friend shared with me.

One of my friends who is a teacher has a co worker who has an allergy to chalk dust. At the beginning of the year she sent a class supply list home with every student that required dry erase markers for the students use, and the classroom use as well as personal wipe away dry erase boards. The total purchase for each student was an additional $12.

Would you have an issue with providing those materials?

by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Not at all: I actually love buying school supplies and I don't mind splurging on that sort of thing for my daughter.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Our schools don't even use the chalkboards anymore. They have Smartboards.  Chalk is a novelty saved for sidewalks!

I wouldn't have been a fan of supplying those particular materials.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM
No, I would not have an issue unless there were a lot of other "extras" on there...some schools are crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Our schools don't even use the chalkboards anymore. They have Smartboards.  Chalk is a novelty saved for sidewalks!

Would you contribute to the costs associated with the smartboard?

christina0607
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM

We use smart boards, so I would see them as a waste.

We don't really have school supply lists other than pencils and wrasers...that kind of thing, so I would probably find it odd.

katy_kay08
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

No, I wouldn't have an issue providing that for my son's class.  Our PTO funded smartboards in all of the classrooms so they don't use chalkboards.  There is also additional PTO funding for each of the teachers as well as funding through the teacher's union for extra supplies.  

I've purchased extra supplies throughout the year as they have been needed.  As long as the requests are reasonable I'm happy to help.  

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Would you contribute to the costs associated with the smartboard?

They used them before we moved to this district but if it had been up for a vote in the school budget this year I would have voted for it.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Dry erase markers were on both of my children's school list last year. I volunteered in the classroom and the kids had many of station exercises where they used the markers on their own dry erase clip boards.

If it's a particular issue like the teacher can't use chalk and needs the erase markers to use, I say she should provide them for herself.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

I've purchased extra supplies throughout the year as they have been needed.  As long as the requests are reasonable I'm happy to help.  

The art teacher sends home occasional requests for baby wipes throughout the year. My 6 year old, knowing we have always have wipes, always volunteers to bring some in. It gives her joy to do it...

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
What is a smartboard?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)