Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CALLING ALL PRO-CHOICERS - I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK - WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?

Abortions are being done now, not for medical reasons, rape or unwanted pregnancies.  Abortions have added a new category.  Gender abortions.  Do you agree or disagree on this type of abortion.  I just saw the movie What to expect when you are expecting.  One of the couples were told they were going to have a girl and they actually had a boy.  So, if they wanted a boy and was told that they had a girl then got an abortion.... see my point. ( well don't answer that, that was something to think about).  I want to know what you think about gender abortions.  btw - I am  pro-life.

*ADDED AFTER ORIGINAL POST

I was telling my dh about the post. He said to ask do you agree with Dread Scott decision? When slavery was legal, they said blacks were not people and did not have any rights. My point, they weren't in anyone's uterus. This is our problem. When we say not my uterus, not my problem. It is our problem as a whole society. It sends out a message how we little we view life.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (211-220):
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually no one is looking or asking for your support MeAndTommyLee....and yes you do have a right to your opinion.   What you don't have is the right to impose or try to have your beliefs become laws that force women to live by.   Regardless of their reason.. you are not living in the others woman's body or walking in her shoes.,

Quoting chezlapin:

I didn't say "I support" or "I don't support". The same way I want others to respect my freedom, I have to do the same.

With freedom come responsibilities, those women's choices are their own, I can't judge. I could but wouldn't be fair.

Their body, their life, their decision.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I support and understand your position, but when does it end?  Are we to support everything and anything women do with their own bodies?  Any gender for that matter. 

butterfly on headlynda  

purplerobin
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Quoting JanetMonroe1991:

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting JanetMonroe1991:

People can try to take away those rights when acting on those rights can cause harm to someone else.

Which does not apply in this case.  

I don't understand why you think that, though-b/c while I understand fetuses/embryo's are dependent on their mother's bodies, I don't see why that makes them less of a human being, and therefore deserving of a right to live.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I guess I just can't fathom parents doing this.  It's  not just the woman decision anymore if there is a husband involved here.  I understand women have abortions and I am indifferent to that.  This just takes it incredibly far IMO...and that is all.

Quoting tweety101149:

Actually no one is looking or asking for your support MeAndTommyLee....and yes you do have a right to your opinion.   What you don't have is the right to impose or try to have your beliefs become laws that force women to live by.   Regardless of their reason.. you are not living in the others woman's body or walking in her shoes.,

Quoting chezlapin:

I didn't say "I support" or "I don't support". The same way I want others to respect my freedom, I have to do the same.

With freedom come responsibilities, those women's choices are their own, I can't judge. I could but wouldn't be fair.

Their body, their life, their decision.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I support and understand your position, but when does it end?  Are we to support everything and anything women do with their own bodies?  Any gender for that matter. 

purplerobin
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting purplerobin:

Your body is one thing. A fetus/embryo, who is a seperate human being, is a completely different story. My internet is acting up every time I'm on cm btw, so I didn't finish responding where you quoted.

If that justice was "conservative, " he must have been a backwards one, like arnold schwarzzaneggar.

Then separate it from my body and let me be.

A fetus / embryo can't be a separate human being in the same way that a born human can be a separate human being.  That is the issue.

If it was POSSIBLE to "seperate it from your body and let you be" I'd be happy to do that. And I completely understand and respect that some women do not want to be parents for a variety of reasons. I totally support that. Thing is with abortion, it is wrong to deny a human being at a chance at life as a result of this. I mean, pregnancy is VERY preventable, and there are several options for adoption (though I think it should be more streamlined/affordable for adoptive parents. I don't know how much red tape birth mothers typically have to deal with, but I think that should be made as minimal as possible).

purplerobin
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting purplerobin:

Sorry-right to life trumps bodily autonomy. It's not like you can't help getting pregnant.

It is truly scary that some people feel this way.

Ok why is that? If human beings do not have a basic right to life how can they possibly have other rights?

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Quoting purplerobin:

.... Thing is with abortion, it is wrong to deny a human being at a chance at life as a result of this.....

Where does it say that every single fetus has a right to life?  What is your opinion on IVF and frozen embryos?  Should every single fertilized embryo be implanted?... Because to not do that would be denying a human being a chance at life.

Sherri

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Quoting purplerobin:

Ok why is that? If human beings do not have a basic right to life how can they possibly have other rights?

It all depends on whether one believes a fetus is a human being versus a potential human being.  

Sherri

JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting JanetMonroe1991:

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting JanetMonroe1991:

People can try to take away those rights when acting on those rights can cause harm to someone else.

Which does not apply in this case.  

I don't understand why you think that, though-b/c while I understand fetuses/embryo's are dependent on their mother's bodies, I don't see why that makes them less of a human being, and therefore deserving of a right to live.

While I mostly against abortions, I also am very much pro-choice. I don't like men telling me what I can and can't do with my body. And while I think picking based on gender is wrong, it is the right of the women to make that choice. As someone else said its better then bringing an unloved child into the world. Our foster care system already has enough of those. 

pinkjimmies06
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Not my body, but some people will never get their gender of choice and after so many abortions can become infertile. So there are consequences to every action.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

What disturbs me most is that they can get an abortion as late as finding out the gender.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)