Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CALLING ALL PRO-CHOICERS - I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK - WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?

Abortions are being done now, not for medical reasons, rape or unwanted pregnancies.  Abortions have added a new category.  Gender abortions.  Do you agree or disagree on this type of abortion.  I just saw the movie What to expect when you are expecting.  One of the couples were told they were going to have a girl and they actually had a boy.  So, if they wanted a boy and was told that they had a girl then got an abortion.... see my point. ( well don't answer that, that was something to think about).  I want to know what you think about gender abortions.  btw - I am  pro-life.

*ADDED AFTER ORIGINAL POST

I was telling my dh about the post. He said to ask do you agree with Dread Scott decision? When slavery was legal, they said blacks were not people and did not have any rights. My point, they weren't in anyone's uterus. This is our problem. When we say not my uterus, not my problem. It is our problem as a whole society. It sends out a message how we little we view life.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (271-275):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

That whole "I won't have the testing done" argument tells me right there how invested someone is in their pro-life stance.

It's rediculous - an amnio can help save mom or baby's life, or - as you stated, help the family properly prepare for a child with special needs.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Amnios have helped many families plan and prepare for their loved and accepted babies with special medical and/or neurological needs. I believe it's foolish to refuse one when medically recommended, but I also believe every woman should choose her own medical care.

So it's not a right to have a child? You ARE for imposing restrictions??

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting stormcris:

On your add...you are speaking toward eugenics....however are you ok with a person having a designer baby?

No, I am pro-life.  I do not believe in IVF or any scientific ways of having babies.  My method is Natural Family Planning (Crieghton Method).  I will not do an amino, I will love and accept any type of baby God sends me.  They are all blessings.  A child is not a right. 

I posted this out of curiosity how other women felt about this issue.  If they drew a line somewhere in category of abortions.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
I agree, and this particular poster seems to be clinging to her beliefs/myths with every last finger nail.
I honestly cringe when a woman says they'll never get an amnio. It shows how little they've researched what they are for.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

That whole "I won't have the testing done" argument tells me right there how invested someone is in their pro-life stance.

It's rediculous - an amnio can help save mom or baby's life, or - as you stated, help the family properly prepare for a child with special needs.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Amnios have helped many families plan and prepare for their loved and accepted babies with special medical and/or neurological needs. I believe it's foolish to refuse one when medically recommended, but I also believe every woman should choose her own medical care.

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting stormcris:

On your add...you are speaking toward eugenics....however are you ok with a person having a designer baby?

No, I am pro-life.  I do not believe in IVF or any scientific ways of having babies.  My method is Natural Family Planning (Crieghton Method).  I will not do an amino, I will love and accept any type of baby God sends me.  They are all blessings.  A child is not a right. 

I posted this out of curiosity how other women felt about this issue.  If they drew a line somewhere in category of abortions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I don't agree with blessings as most know I am 100% pro-choice., but in her defense.., she could reject amniocentesis because in some (tho few) case they can be risky and cause loss of pregnancy.   I agree the benefits far outweigh the risks...but imo, this really shows how firm she is in her pro-birth/life stance she is.  

What are the risks of amniocentesis?

Basically, the greatest risk is loss of the pregnancy. The chance of this happening is statistically 1:200, meaning one woman out of every 200 who have the procedure will have leakage of amniotic fluid that cannot be stopped or develop an infection and lose the pregnancy, which could have been a normal fetus. This risk is per fetus -- each fetal sac entered with twins or triplets carries its own risk. Loss of one fetus usually causes the loss of all fetuses. If an infection develops, the pregnancy will have to be terminated since infection would risk the mother's life.

Diagnosing an abnormal baby versus losing a very much wanted pregnancy (abnormal or normal) is like comparing apples to oranges. How can a woman decide what to do, when 199 out of 200 procedures are uneventful, but her own loss would be a 100 percent disaster to her?

The good news

The vast majority of amniocentesis procedures are uneventful and the results indicate a normal fetus.

Thoughtful consideration of possible abnormal findings and the issues and choices that would have to be made place amniocentesis in a unique position. Deciding whether to have an amniocentesis is one of the most difficult decisions some women must make during pregnancy. Some women can make this choice easily, while for others it is very difficult. There is no right choice. Whatever the woman's decision is, it must be supported. She and her family have to live with the decision and outcome.

The information on this Web site is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition. 

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/stages/amniocentesis/should-i-have-an-amniocentesis/

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I agree, and this particular poster seems to be clinging to her beliefs/myths with every last finger nail.
I honestly cringe when a woman says they'll never get an amnio. It shows how little they've researched what they are for.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting stormcris:

butterfly on headlynda  

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't get me wrong, I know they come with risk. That's why I doubt they are suggested lightly by most doctors.
Her comment below lends to the idea that amnios are only to show that a pregnancy should be terminated.
We know that is absolutely not true. While some amnios may lead to a heart breaking decision, some also allow for emregency surgeries and/or allow families time to prepare for whatever special needs the baby may have.
Like I said, I believe every woman should have the right to choose their own medical care. Absolutely, weigh the risks and possible outcomes, every situation is unique.

Quoting tweety101149:

I don't agree with blessings as most know I am 100% pro-choice., but in her defense.., she could reject amniocentesis because in some (tho few) case they can be risky and cause loss of pregnancy.   I agree the benefits far outweigh the risks...but imo, this really shows how firm she is in her pro-birth/life stance she is.  

What are the risks of amniocentesis?

Basically, the greatest risk is loss of the pregnancy. The chance of this happening is statistically 1:200, meaning one woman out of every 200 who have the procedure will have leakage of amniotic fluid that cannot be stopped or develop an infection and lose the pregnancy, which could have been a normal fetus. This risk is per fetus -- each fetal sac entered with twins or triplets carries its own risk. Loss of one fetus usually causes the loss of all fetuses. If an infection develops, the pregnancy will have to be terminated since infection would risk the mother's life.

Diagnosing an abnormal baby versus losing a very much wanted pregnancy (abnormal or normal) is like comparing apples to oranges. How can a woman decide what to do, when 199 out of 200 procedures are uneventful, but her own loss would be a 100 percent disaster to her?

The good news

The vast majority of amniocentesis procedures are uneventful and the results indicate a normal fetus.

Thoughtful consideration of possible abnormal findings and the issues and choices that would have to be made place amniocentesis in a unique position. Deciding whether to have an amniocentesis is one of the most difficult decisions some women must make during pregnancy. Some women can make this choice easily, while for others it is very difficult. There is no right choice. Whatever the woman's decision is, it must be supported. She and her family have to live with the decision and outcome.

The information on this Web site is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition. 

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/stages/amniocentesis/should-i-have-an-amniocentesis/

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting stormcris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Quoting blessingsofmany:
Quoting PurdueMom:
Quoting blessingsofmany:
Quoting PurdueMom:
Quoting blessingsofmany:
Quoting PurdueMom:

It would be a great point if a fetus could survive outside its mother's womb.  A quadriplegic person is dependent upon others to help him survive, but he is still an independent human being whose survival does not depend upon another's body.

I was telling my dh about the post. He said to ask do you agree with Dread Scott decision? When slavery was legal, they said blacks were not people and did not have any rights. My point, they weren't in anyone's uterus. This is our problem. When we say not my uterus, not my problem. It is our problem as a whole society. It sends out a message how we little we view life.

Of course, I do not agree with the Dred Scott decision.  I also believe African-Americans are persons entitled to all the rights and equalities that come with personhood.  A fetus is not a person, but a potential person - so it does not have the rights of a person.

Before viability outside the womb, I do not believe a potential person (fetus) has any rights, including a right to life, since that right would then force precedence over the wishes of the person who owns the womb. 

I'll ask your husband a question:  One of your children needs a kidney transplant to survive.  You are the only donor match.  Does your child's right to life take precedence over your ownership of your kidney?  I'm not asking whether or not you would willingly donate your kidney -  most parents would - I'm asking whether your child's right to life takes precedence over your right to decide what happens with your own kidney?

Yes, God gave me that soul to take care of.  I would chose my baby's life over mine in childbirth.  Read St. Gianna.  She was a Doctor.  When she was in labor, she told her husband if something would happen save the baby first.  I had a friend who carried a genetic disorder baby to term.  The baby lived less than a week and they had a funeral for it.  Whether it is viable or not a creator created that baby growing in your stomach.  It was supposed to be a blessing.  Viable or not, when it has a heartbeat I don't understand and will never understand how a woman can be so selfish and kill the baby.  A lot of problems would be solved if people practiced abstinence.  Scientist says life begins at conception.  Paramecens (sp) are cells and the scientist consider them living too.  Hmm  but I guess we know better than scientists?

This was a nice response, but you didn't answer my question.  See the question highlighted in red...

Should you be forced by law to donate a kidney because your child's right to life is greater than your right to decide what happens to your kidney?

That's comparing apples to oranges.  I would not think of it as forcing.  I would gladly do it for my child. Law or not.  Unwanted pregnancies can be prevented by several methods.  bc, abstince, nfp

Actually, no, it's not comparing apples to oranges.... and you are not answering the question.  Let me rephrase my question.  I understand that you would give a kidney to your child, but should we force other parents to do the same?  Do you believe a parent should be forced by law to donate a kidney to a child because that child's right to life is greater than the parent's right to self-determination?

Sherri

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)