Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kids playing in cars

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM
  • 56 Replies

Do you let your kids play in the car at home?  Is it a convenient jungle gym or accident waiting to happen?  

by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM

My kids are older but my son likes to crawl through my CX-7 (from front to the very back.) That's the extent of their "playing in" the car.  When they were younger, there was no playing in it.  It was for transportation.  Maybe because I never played in cars as a kid it just never crossed mymind as a form of entertainment. 

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on May. 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I used to play in the car as a kid.  DD doesn't really show an interest in it, but I feel as though she may have played in one of our cars at sometime.  

I don't really see it as an accident waiting to happen *if* there are no keys involved, *if* no trunk is involved, and *if* there is adult supervision.  

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No, I would never ever let a child play in a car. Some of you may know that a CM member's child was killed because she let her kids watch a DVD in an SUV in the driveway. One of the kids put the car in gear, and it rolled back and crushed her son.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

My 6 year old plays in my car...but it's never turned on. She just sits in it drawing or listening to her music. She has her own room...yet she likes the car better.

She's odd.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

No way! I'd never given it much thought before a CM mom in another group lost her son to a tragic accident involving the children playing in the car. After that, I don't even run back into the house for a quick second and leave the kids alone in the car.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

There's no way. My very first memory in life is when i was 3 and my mom left me and my baby brother in her station wagon while she ran into the gas station for a few things *back when they were more like mini grocery stores* He crawled into the front and slipped the gear stick out of gear causing us to roll backwards. This was in San Fran and we rolled all the way out of the parking lot and into the street *high traffic* before a guy jumped into the car and stopped it. Luckily for him mom was an idiot and left the keys in the car since it was one of those lovely cars where you had to turn the engine on for the brakes to work, so he was able to turn it on and stop it.

Unfortunately for everyone else there was an accident caused by people trying not to hit us as our car rolled across the street.

Letting children "play" in a car is just an accident waiting to happen, very dangerous.

_Bama_
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM

No but I remember doing it when I was little.... lol  First time I fell off daddys cement truck... the second time I broke a key in a ignition.... oooo that didnt turn out so well for me....lol    I wouldnt let Dalt do it... but hes never asked...

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

My kids don't play in my car.  They never showed any interest in doing so, and I'm not going to suggest it.

Hectictracy
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM
The thought never crossed my mind to let them. Lol. I never would though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Both. Last year i had a pretty big parenting fail. I was letting DS dance on top of the car (yeah...you read that right) and the evil neighbor kid got up there with him too. Everything was going fine until the evil neighbor kid pushed him off. He didn't really get hurt but he could've.

No dancing on top of the car this summer...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)