Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

House rejects bill penalizing doctors for sex-selective abortions

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 65 Replies

The House on Thursday rejected a Republican bill that would impose fines and prison terms on doctors who perform abortions for the sole purpose of controlling the gender of the child, a practice known as sex-selective abortion.

The Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act (PRENDA), H.R. 3541, was turned away in a 246-168 vote. While that's a clear majority of the House, Republicans called up the bill under a suspension of House rules, which limits debate and requires a two-thirds majority vote, and in this case, would have required more support from Democrats.

Twenty Democrats voted for the bill, while seven Republicans opposed it. The bill needed roughly 30 more votes for approval.

Suspension votes are normally used for non-controversial bills, but the GOP-backed bill was clearly controversial. Republicans have occasionally put controversial bills on the suspension calendar in an apparent attempt to show that Democrats oppose certain policies.

In some cases, Republicans have rescheduled these bills for regular consideration after they have failed, allowing for passage by a simple majority. But Republicans gave no sign that they would try again with PRENDA.

Earlier in the day, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) indicated that the issue of stopping sex-selective abortion is important enough that the would try again, but he was not specific.

source

by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by Punky on May. 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear it.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on May. 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Finally did something right they did

punky3175
by Punky on May. 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm against abortions and I'm even more against abortions based merely on the gender of the child.

I'm disappointed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on May. 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so glad they are focused on jobs and the economy.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
5 moms liked this

Good.

As i pointed out in the other post, certain genetic disorders/diseases, some of which are deadly, are only found in one gender or the other. People who are carriers of those genetic disorders/diseases who know that it will pass onto children of that gender should have the right to abort rather than forced to carry/birth the child only to watch it die, sometimes slowly sometimes quickly, all for some pro-lifers dislike of sex selective abortions.

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Glad to hear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I do not like the Gov butting in between a Dr and their patients medical concerns or issues.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Quoting Arroree:

Good.

As i pointed out in the other post, certain genetic disorders/diseases, some of which are deadly, are only found in one gender or the other. People who are carriers of those genetic disorders/diseases who know that it will pass onto children of that gender should have the right to abort rather than forced to carry/birth the child only to watch it die, sometimes slowly sometimes quickly, all for some pro-lifers dislike of sex selective abortions.

I understand this scenario, but how often do you think this one actually comes up in gender selected abortions?  I don't consider myself a "pro-lifer" but I find gender selected abortions to be disgusting(outside of the reasons you've listed).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)