Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why are so many black women willing to have children, without requiring that the man commit through marriage? PLEASE READ OP BEFORE RESPONDING.

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 435 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is a discussion posted on another online forum:

Quote:

Why are so many black women willing to have children, without requiring that the man commit through marriage?

I'm a black woman and I was speaking with an associate about the number of women willing to have out of wedlock children, without any commitment (i.e. marriage). Presently, over 70% of black children are born out of wedlock. Why do so many black women continue to settle for so little? Having a child is a very serious commitment. Why are so many black women willing to have children, without requiring that the man commit through marriage?

Yes, there's a lot of other races of women who also have children out of wedlock, but let's be honest, their communities are not experiencing the same levels of poverty and devastation.

Quote:

Out of 100% of births to white women, 28.7% were out of wedlock.
Out of 100% of births to black women, 72.3% were out of wedlock.
http://hailtoyou.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/share-of-births-to-unmarried-mothers-by-race-1990-2010/

PLEASE do not try to argue that just because people aren't married it doesn't mean they aren't cohabiting and raising the child together.  Obviously some are together this way but far too many ARE NOT. Women are too often LEFT by the man to fend for themselves, leaving them living in poverty, in general.

PLEASE do not try to argue that there is nothing wrong with having children out of wedlock.  Start your own thread if you want to make this claim. Following is information partially explaining what is wrong with having illegitimate children:

Quote:

It is well documented that compared with children born to married couples, those born outside of marriage score lower on tests, have increased chances for committing a crime, have higher chances of living in poverty, experience more emotional and behavioral problems, are more likely to abuse drugs or alcohol, and have higher chances of becoming pregnant as teens.

http://blog.heritage.org/?p=4039

Quote:

Children who are raised in marriage by their biological mother and father are dramatically less likely to have emotional and behavioral problems, to be physically abused, to become involved in crime, to fail in school, to abuse drugs, and to end up on welfare as adults.[13]
Conclusion
The erosion of marriage and the increase in single-parent families are major causes of child poverty and welfare dependence in the United States. Nearly three-quarters of government means-tested welfare aid to children goes to single-parent families.[14] Over 80 percent of long-term child poverty occurs in broken or never-married families.[15]

13] Patrick F. Fagan, Robert E. Rector, Kirk A. Johnson, Ph.D., and America Peterson, The Positive Effects of Marriage: A Book of Charts (Washington, D.C.: The Heritage Foundation, April 2002) at http://www.heritage.org/Research/Features/Marriage/index.cfm.

[14] Ibid., Chart 8.
[15] Ibid., Chart 5.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2003/05/Increasing-Marriage-Would-Dramatically-Reduce-Child-Poverty#_ftn14

Quote:

Are Married Parents Really Better for Children? 
What Research Says About the Effects of Family Structure on  
Child Well-Being
  Over the past 20 years, a body of research has developed on how changes in patterns of family structure affect children. Most researchers now agree that together these studies support the notion that, on average, children do best when raised by their two married, biological parents who have low-conflict relationships.  

McLanahan and Sandefur found that children who did not 
live with both biological parents were roughly twice as likely to be poor, to have a birth outside of marriage, to have behavioral and psychological problems, and to not graduate from high school. 

[T]he risk of dropping out of high school for the average white child was substantially lower in a two-parent biological family (11 percent) than in a single-parent family or step-family (28 percent).8 For the average African American child, the risk of dropping out of high school was 17 percent in a two- parent family versus 30 percent in a single- or step-parent family. And for the average Hispanic child, the risk of dropping out of school was 25 percent in a two-parent family and 49 percent in a single- or step-parent family. 
www.clasp.org/admin/site/publications_states/files/0086.pdf
NO ONE is saying every child born out of wedlock will suffer from these negative consequences.

THIS DISCUSSION COULD REFER TO ANY RACE.
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

NO ONE is saying every child born out of wedlock will suffer from these negative consequences.

Not all people die from gunshot wounds either but why take a chance if you can avoid it?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I really hope this thread isn't derailed by defensiveness and that we can really talk about the main question honestly.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

BUMP!

I have theories....

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Sigh sorry that is all I got tonight.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting Radarma:

BUMP!

I have theories....

Please share!

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting futureshock:

I really hope this thread isn't derailed by defensiveness and that we can really talk about the main question honestly.

Do you post this because you care?

(I already know the answer, but state it, clearly)

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Peanutx3:

Sigh sorry that is all I got tonight.

Girl, Immabout to put a piece of duct tape over that mouth, so you CANNOT sigh. LOL

Seriously, this is critically important, and warrants discussion.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Radarma:

BUMP!

I have theories....

Please share!

I will be glad to, but not something I can just shoot off...and who knew, but apprently the penis I married and the spawn I created freakin EXPECT dinner.

How dare they!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmmm. Perhaps it's like generational poverty. It's what you grow up with and what is familiar. I don't have an answer for why and when it originally started to be a trend or recognized stat.
Good question Op. I'm looking forward to what others have to say.
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Is the post title the main question? If so, why bother reading the thread and the debate 'rules' you've established?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN